PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Bill Belichick disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To summarize for the umteenth time:

1. In 2014 Garapolo was a great choice to pick given his potential and Brady's age. There was never a thought that Garapolo was even a thought to replace Brady in his first 3 years. He was very raw, playing at a small football school and needed a long time to develop.

2. In 2016 he showed some promise in the 5 quarters he played before getting hurt. When he was drafted the HOPE was he'd be ready to take over for the 40+ year old Brady for the start of the 2017 . That was historically a reasonable expectation.

3. However Brady ruined that plan by playing better and longer than could reasonably be expected, which blew "the plan" out of the water.

4. Time simply ran out. There were no "internal disagreements". No backbiting or fights. There is one simple overriding factor that seems to get lost in all this. At no time during Jimmy's stay with the Pats was he ever the best QB on the team. So when it was clear that he would opt for FA the ONLY option was to trade him OR Brady. And why in the world would you trade the better QB????

5. Brady proved he was the better QB by leading his team to THREE straight Superbowls, and winning 2 and narrowly losing one AFTER the trade of JG.

6. If Brady had even a nominally normal athletic life for a football player, Jimmy G would still be a Patriot. But, as we found out, Brady isn't even close to that. And while he has clearly slipped a bit over the last season, 4 years AFTER the trade no one can doubt that the Pats made the right decision. In fact the ONLY question you can reasonably ask is did they get the most for him.

To summarize for the umteenth time:

1. In 2014 Garapolo was a great choice to pick given his potential and Brady's age. There was never a thought that Garapolo was even a thought to replace Brady in his first 3 years. He was very raw, playing at a small football school and needed a long time to develop.

2. In 2016 he showed some promise in the 5 quarters he played before getting hurt. When he was drafted the HOPE was he'd be ready to take over for the 40+ year old Brady for the start of the 2017 . That was historically a reasonable expectation.

3. However Brady ruined that plan by playing better and longer than could reasonably be expected, which blew "the plan" out of the water.

4. Time simply ran out. There were no "internal disagreements". No backbiting or fights. There is one simple overriding factor that seems to get lost in all this. At no time during Jimmy's stay with the Pats was he ever the best QB on the team. So when it was clear that he would opt for FA the ONLY option was to trade him OR Brady. And why in the world would you trade the better QB????

5. Brady proved he was the better QB by leading his team to THREE straight Superbowls, and winning 2 and narrowly losing one AFTER the trade of JG.

6. If Brady had even a nominally normal athletic life for a football player, Jimmy G would still be a Patriot. But, as we found out, Brady isn't even close to that. And while he has clearly slipped a bit over the last season, 4 years AFTER the trade no one can doubt that the Pats made the right decision. In fact the ONLY question you can reasonably ask is did they get the most for him.
I think when all is said and done it will be pretty clear that belichick held into brady for pretty close to exactly the right time. He clearly showed decline last year and since he is still Tom Brady and with diminished skills probably could still carry a championship team for a game or 2, it had to be at the right price. I think we will also see that jimmy g ultimately will be an very average qb and whatever comes next isn’t a decidedly worse option than him.

While we are at it....let's discuss why BB benched Butler in Superbowl XLII?

The way I look at it is that Tom Brady never played in a single game with the Patriots where he didn't still have a chance to win a SB. I don't know if anyone in the history of sports has ever done that? I hope his streak continues with TB and I will enjoy watching him play from afar.
JG was fun to follow last year and I enjoyed watch the 49ers because of JG's connection to the Pats. It makes the NFL more entertaining for me to have two NFC teams that I will root for in most cases.

But more importantly, I'm excited to see Cam play and if Stidham is the real deal. It's unlikely that the same level of success will continue, but I'm a Pats fan and will always be optimistic.

Now let's conquer the virus and hopefully we get to see some football.

Are you ok ?

As ok as ever. Just frustrated with the things going on. I guess my problem is I’m scared this stupid virus will mess up the season. I look forward to football, taken away wouldn’t be a good thing

Please keep political side opinions off Patsfans

I agree bro. Some stuff is starting to affect the other stuff is all. It’s getting harder to separate the two things but I’ll try harder

I agree bro. Some stuff is starting to affect the other stuff is all. It’s getting harder to separate the two things but I’ll try harder

The Coronavirus isn't a political party. You can talk about it without taking a random swipe at Pelosi.

Please keep political side opinions off Patsfans
^^^^THIS^^^^

whenever you are tempted to post some political comment, remind yourself “‘Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.”

inability to separate politics from football is foolish, regardless of your politics.

get your priorities straight!

^^^^THIS^^^^

whenever you are tempted to post some political comment, remind yourself “‘Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.”

inability to separate politics from football is foolish, regardless of your politics.

get your priorities straight!

So, the players are wrong for kneeling to make a political statement? Ok, got it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes