PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Volin: Stidham odd man out as of now

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Maybe that is the case right now but way to early to say that's how it will play out.

I really think Cam's seat is hot and he better have a good camp or else.

I guess it does take one to know one...

Signing Hoyer is a nothing burger. He's an arm for camp.

But Volin is that clock that's inadvertently right once a day. Stidham is already out because, like the vast majority of fourth round picks, he's not good enough to be an NFL quarterback despite having some attributes that happen to overlap. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. The Patriots don't have magic fairy dust that they sprinkle on a QB that makes him smarter, more battle ready, given an easier job, etc.

I would take Stidham over Hoyer any day, and I'm not even sure I would take Stidham.

Plus, it’s the world’s smallest Volin.
violin deal with it GIF

But Volin is that clock that's inadvertently right once a day. Stidham is already out because, like the vast majority of fourth round picks, he's not good enough to be an NFL quarterback despite having some attributes that happen to overlap. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. The Patriots don't have magic fairy dust that they sprinkle on a QB that makes him smarter, more battle ready, given an easier job, etc.

Just passing on the Tweet, not claiming it's right/wrong

Maybe that is the case right now but way to early to say that's how it will play out.

I really think Cam's seat is hot and he better have a good camp or else.
I really do think it's way to early to say that's how it will play out.

I listened to Curran and Perry's podcast and they said Hoyer is good news for Jones, he's being brought in to mentor Jones in a way Cam probably won't and Stid probably can't. Apparently we have no QB coach, so there really isn't enough time in Josh's day to be OC and QB coach and integrate all the new players the team has added.

The issue with Cam is he still thinks he's a starting QB and presumably won't take well to being benched if the team decides to go with someone else, whereas Hoyer is already used to being a backup.

Personally I think they keep 3 QBs and the most likely set is Cam, Stid and Jones but if Cam sucks it'd be Jones, Hoyer and Stid (maybe not in that order). Cam is easy to cut, a lot of his pay is in per-game bonuses. If he's too much of a primadonna he'll get cut. I would not be all that surprised if Stid gets traded, but we've seen no indications that the Pats are ready to do that just yet.

Volin... news, credible, source?

Christopher Mcdonald Lol GIF

Just passing on the Tweet, not claiming it's right/wrong

That would be a waste of a roster spot, considering how bad he was last year. He can't be that good of a mentor...

Hes a lot more than a camp arm. You know that.

That would be a waste of a roster spot, considering how bad he was last year. He can't be that good of a mentor...
How do you know?

If Hoyer's side chats, x-tra film study or tips help Mac make a few less mistakes a game either this year or next, his roster spot in 2021 is worth it's weight in gold.

Make Hoyer a coach and be done with it.
A coach, especially a newbie coach makes far less than an NFL backup QB. He'd correctly wait to sign with the Jete or some team desperate for a backup once summer camp injuries take their toll. once he's too old for any use as a backup, coaching would be in play.

I didn't, but I do now after seeing that tweet.
I don't necessarily agree they guaranteed a roster spot but they absolutely sold him on a plan/role/opportunity and $ which he was totally fine with.

Additionally I think he has small children. I do think the "staying local" angle was huge for him and the Mrs.

A coach, especially a newbie coach makes far less than an NFL backup QB. He'd correctly wait to sign with the Jete or some team desperate for a backup once summer camp injuries take their toll. once he's too old for any use as a backup, coaching would be in play.
still think he would make a great coach...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back