PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Volin: Stidham odd man out as of now

If Cam loses the starting job, I would think that he is gonna want out of here, completely. That leaves Hoyer the mentor for Jones, and Stidham fighting to stay.

I DON'T think that Cam is going to lose the starting job anytime soon, though.

That would be a waste of a roster spot, considering how bad he was last year. He can't be that good of a mentor...
That really wrong. Outside of Josh and Brady, no one knows this offense better than Brian Hoyer. Besides there could be a LOT of scenarios that play out that has Stidham with the team at the start of the season.

First of all you absolutely need 4 QB's at a minimum for TC For for that alone the Hoyer signing makes sense.

2. As I stated no on knows the offense better than Hoyer and Josh. Right now with coaches time strictly limited with the players in the off season, having Hoyer on the team mentoring Jones makes Hoyer's signing a plus. .

3. Signing here was a plus for Hoyer because his family is rooted here in MA. Now there is no need to move, change schools, etc

4. Other possible scenario's have Hoyer on the roster for game one, ensuring he gets his contract money, then he can be cut and move into a coaching role long term With the expanded rosters this year, the Pats could afford to carry 4 QB's for a limited amount of time,

5. And being a bad QB last year says nothing about how good a QB mentor he could be. Think about all the failed QB's who have become highly respected as offensive coaches and widely sought after QB gurus.. Doug Peterson, Kliff Kingsbury, and Kevin O'Connell come immediately to mind.

6. Finally my thoughts on Ben Volin. He is a waste of bandwidth. He has no sources within the Pats organization. So he writes what is easy and obvious. This tweet on Stidham and the Hoyer signing is a case in point. Stidham had a year where he lost the trust of the coaching staff. Jones is drafted in the first, Hoyer is signed, hence Stidham is out. Not exactly high level thinking. It was likely the first thing EVERYONE thought when we heard about the Hoyer signing. Yet Volin creates a tweet that makes it seem like he just got a blockbuster scoop on the football world. His laziness and "keen sense of the obvious" pisses me off no end. How he still has a job boggles my mind. I can't remember a single time when he had an original thought or had something worthwhile to offer. rant over and I feel better now.

That would be a waste of a roster spot, considering how bad he was last year. He can't be that good of a mentor...
Why not? He knows the offense as well as anyone.

How could this guy possibly be the odd man out?

Or maybe he just doesn't wan't any JEST stank on his career.

How do you know?

If Hoyer's side chats, x-tra film study or tips help Mac make a few less mistakes a game either this year or next, his roster spot in 2021 is worth it's weight in gold.
Wouldn't it be better to make him a COACH instead? Especially since he show last year that he doesn't have what it takes anymore.. Or did his benching after the KC game not mean a damn thing?

Maybe that is the case right now but way to early to say that's how it will play out.

I really think Cam's seat is hot and he better have a good camp or else.

Don’t we have ample access to baseless speculation by some morons (*edited for accuracy, after being schooled by @jimnance) here, without adding this doughy dipsh*ts opinions/guesses (masquerading as sourced information)?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to make him a COACH instead? Especially since he show last year that he doesn't have what it takes anymore.. Or did his benching after the KC game not mean a damn thing?
Oh he was awful and should never see the field again. My gut tells me he'll get cut before week 1 and they'll bring him back as a CA.

That really wrong. Outside of Josh and Brady, no one knows this offense better than Brian Hoyer. Besides there could be a LOT of scenarios that play out that has Stidham with the team at the start of the season.

First of all you absolutely need 4 QB's at a minimum for TC For for that alone the Hoyer signing makes sense.

2. As I stated no on knows the offense better than Hoyer and Josh. Right now with coaches time strictly limited with the players in the off season, having Hoyer on the team mentoring Jones makes Hoyer's signing a plus. .

3. Signing here was a plus for Hoyer because his family is rooted here in MA. Now there is no need to move, change schools, etc

4. Other possible scenario's have Hoyer on the roster for game one, ensuring he gets his contract money, then he can be cut and move into a coaching role long term With the expanded rosters this year, the Pats could afford to carry 4 QB's for a limited amount of time,

5. And being a bad QB last year says nothing about how good a QB mentor he could be. Think about all the failed QB's who have become highly respected as offensive coaches and widely sought after QB gurus.. Doug Peterson, Kliff Kingsbury, and Kevin O'Connell come immediately to mind.

6. Finally my thoughts on Ben Volin. He is a waste of bandwidth. He has no sources within the Pats organization. So he writes what is easy and obvious. This tweet on Stidham and the Hoyer signing is a case in point. Stidham had a year where he lost the trust of the coaching staff. Jones is drafted in the first, Hoyer is signed, hence Stidham is out. Not exactly high level thinking. It was likely the first thing EVERYONE thought when we heard about the Hoyer signing. Yet Volin creates a tweet that makes it seem like he just got a blockbuster scoop on the football world. His laziness and "keen sense of the obvious" pisses me off no end. How he still has a job boggles my mind. I can't remember a single time when he had an original thought or had something worthwhile to offer. rant over and I feel better now.
Ken, thanks for the rant.
My thoughts on Volin exactly.
Glad you posted it so I wouldnt waste my psychic energy.

Don’t we have ample access to baseless speculation by some dotards here, without adding this doughy dipsh*ts opinions/guesses (masquerading as sourced information)?
Dotards eh?
Listen sonny, most of the" baseless speculation" here is posted by clueless millennials, not by us dotards.
Get off my f'n lawn!!!

Dotards eh?
Listen sonny, most of the" baseless speculation" here is posted by clueless millennials, not by us dotards.
Get off my f'n lawn!!!

My bad. Thank you for educating me about the true meaning of this putdown (I just looked it up using the google machine). The first time that I had ever heard it was when Kim Jong Un used it on our former POTUS and it made me laugh (apolitically) but I clearly misused it in my thread….didn’t intend to single out any age, race, color or creed. I’ve been a diehard since the early 80s and my favorite all-time player is still Stanley Steamer. I agree with your comments on the millennials here. I will replace dotards with morons. ;)

My bad. Thank you for educating me about the true meaning of this putdown (I just looked it up using the google machine). The first time that I had ever heard it was when Kim Jong Un used it on our former POTUS and it made me laugh (apolitically) but I clearly misused it in my thread….didn’t intend to single out any age, race, color or creed. I’ve been a diehard since the early 80s and my favorite all-time player is still Stanley Steamer. I agree with your comments on the millennials here. I will replace dotards with morons. ;)
I was mostly joking but damn,bro! Youre quoting kim jong un?!? Yikes!

This is just Volin looking at the QB situation and speculating the most likely scenario, but the way he posts it makes it seem like insider information. So yeah, the usual. Anyone with a semi-functioning brain can see it doesn't look great for Stidham right now but it's not like this is actual info coming from the team.

Stiffman? The logical Heir to the throne?

Told you guys that he was a Bust when NE drafted him.

You dont take Mac if Stiffman is anything more than a coffee fetcher.

He is likely on a first name basis at the Foxborough Dunkin Donuts. He will be their new manager next year.

You dont take Mac if Stiffman is anything more than a coffee fetcher.

He is likely on a first name basis at the Foxborough Dunkin Donuts. He will be their new manager next year.

Whoa, whoa, whoa man... you don't just START as the manager. You steep cold brew and microwave breakfast sandwiches until you EARN it.

Stiffman? The logical Heir to the throne?

Told you guys that he was a Bust when NE drafted him.
He's a day 3 draft pick. Hard to call that a bust. Typically their career trajectory is just like Stid's.

The throne pic though - yeah that was a swing and a miss.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back