PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Volin: Stidham odd man out as of now

This is just Volin looking at the QB situation and speculating the most likely scenario, but the way he posts it makes it seem like insider information. So yeah, the usual. Anyone with a semi-functioning brain can see it doesn't look great for Stidham right now but it's not like this is actual info coming from the team.
The title is

Volin: Stidham odd man out as of now​

and IMO Volin is an odd man, so he's probably an expert at figuring out who the other odd men are.

If Cam loses the starting job, I would think that he is gonna want out of here, completely. That leaves Hoyer the mentor for Jones, and Stidham fighting to stay.

I DON'T think that Cam is going to lose the starting job anytime soon, though.
Let's get this straight. Belichick starts Jones for say Game 7, and you think that Cam will quit? Will he retire in the middle of the season?

That being said, Belichick might cut or trade Cam before the trade deadline if he thinks that Jones is ready, and he is comfortable with his backup.

Let's get this straight. Belichick starts Jones for say Game 7, and you think that Cam will quit? Will he retire in the middle of the season?

That being said, Belichick might cut or trade Cam before the trade deadline if he thinks that Jones is ready, and he is comfortable with his backup.
Cam's contract is structured in a way that makes him easy to cut, lots of money in per-game bonuses, no carry over to next season.

I think we don't know how Cam would react if/when he is beat out by Jones.

He may just accept it and keep cashing the checks, or he may be pissy about it.

If it got ugly, BB could easily say to him "either you support our decision or we part ways".

I doubt it'd get ugly, there seems to be a lot of mutual respect, something would probably get worked out.

I doubt Cam would retire, according to him he's still a starting caliber QB.

Signing Hoyer is a nothing burger. He's an arm for camp.

But Volin is that clock that's inadvertently right once a day. Stidham is already out because, like the vast majority of fourth round picks, he's not good enough to be an NFL quarterback despite having some attributes that happen to overlap. That should be obvious to everyone at this point. The Patriots don't have magic fairy dust that they sprinkle on a QB that makes him smarter, more battle ready, given an easier job, etc.
You must go by military time. Respect.

I really do think it's way to early to say that's how it will play out.

I listened to Curran and Perry's podcast and they said Hoyer is good news for Jones, he's being brought in to mentor Jones in a way Cam probably won't and Stid probably can't. Apparently we have no QB coach, so there really isn't enough time in Josh's day to be OC and QB coach and integrate all the new players the team has added.

The issue with Cam is he still thinks he's a starting QB and presumably won't take well to being benched if the team decides to go with someone else, whereas Hoyer is already used to being a backup.

Personally I think they keep 3 QBs and the most likely set is Cam, Stid and Jones but if Cam sucks it'd be Jones, Hoyer and Stid (maybe not in that order). Cam is easy to cut, a lot of his pay is in per-game bonuses. If he's too much of a primadonna he'll get cut. I would not be all that surprised if Stid gets traded, but we've seen no indications that the Pats are ready to do that just yet.
I hardly can see Hoyer as a mentor for Mac Jones ….Brian Hoyer has been an average NFL his whole career ….on Pats he worked a “Cassel” offense and can be adequate game manager….but he’s No Ryan Fitzpatrick;)

Why would anybody believe volin? Volin could not get laid in a women’s prison!

I hardly can see Hoyer as a mentor for Mac Jones ….Brian Hoyer has been an average NFL his whole career ….on Pats he worked a “Cassel” offense and can be adequate game manager….but he’s No Ryan Fitzpatrick;)
The theory being floated is he knows the offense better than anyone else available, even if he doesn't execute it at a very high level. Think of it as a player-coach kind of situation rather than mentor. I think Cam can demonstrate a lot of leadership. Hopefully Jones gets the best of all of the above, and then some.

The best thing about Volin is he’s always late on the stories. Schefter could break a signing or trade and like clockwork Volin comes in two hours later claiming breaking news. Always good for a laugh. He’s bad but not anywhere near Tomase bad.

Trade Stidham and N'Keal Harry for Julio Jones. That should clean some things up around Foxboro.... lol

Trade Stidham and N'Keal Harry for Julio Jones. That should clean some things up around Foxboro.... lol
Falcons: okay you traded enough for one of his cleats, how much for the rest of him?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back