PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vitale, we hardly knew ye...

The whole "But all those opt outs!" theory/excuse for last year has crashed and burned.

It depends on what you mean by "But all those opt outs!" as an excuse. Before the opt outs the Pats were looking at a down year and not every opt out would have helped the team, but Chung, Hightower, and Cannon would've helped, and with the state of the TEs and WRs LaCosse and Lee at the very least had high utility value in positions of need and may have at least improved their respective groups.

If there were no opt outs the Pats may have won an additional game or 2, but it pales in comparison to the production/games lost due to what the 49ers suffered through.

It depends on what you mean by "But all those opt outs!" as an excuse. Before the opt outs the Pats were looking at a down year and not every opt out would have helped the team, but Chung, Hightower, and Cannon would've helped, and with the state of the TEs and WRs LaCosse and Lee at the very least had high utility value in positions of need and may have at least improved their respective groups.

If there were no opt outs the Pats may have won an additional game or 2, but it pales in comparison to the production/games lost due to what the 49ers suffered through.
When your "If only" realistically requires a full season of health from Hightower (1 full season in his entire career) and Cannon (2 full seasons in his career, none since 2014) in order to achieve the hoped for goal of an additional win or two, and relies on Chung being a clear upgrade to Dugger over the course of the season, and is looking hopefully at Lee and LaCosse as theoretical upgrades of some real significance, just how strong is that "If only", really?

And that's the point. Even in a best case scenario, the only really major upgrade would have been a fully healthy Hightower.

Just warming up for your main act, which starts in about 10 years, and is rewarded with "Daaaad!"
My kids (in their mid 30's) now confer with each other to rate my Dad jokes on a 1-10 scale.

1622136184867.jpeg

I agree he will make the 53. Isn't a rookie with no preseason commonly a healthy scratch for BB? Agreed that we had very little option at TE last year, but I think BB will use different formations with experienced players instead of forcing a rookie into a role to support an offensive formation. Asiasi is talented, very athletic and big. Will he make the transition? I think Asiasi and Keene will be solid players, if not good players.
I think some guys get redshirted because Bill liked the guy in the draft but had depth at that position that year ala Shane Vereen, James White, Trey Flowers. Then I think there are rookies Bill liked in the draft that he found out couldn't play. I just don't see how Asiasi couldn't get on the field last year for any other reason than he can't play. I am not writing him off yet and I am hoping that some of the pressure is off to be "the guy" at TE with Smith and Henry in front of him. Let him develop in the background and when one of those guys gets hurt maybe he steps up or maybe he just can't play.

I think some guys get redshirted because Bill liked the guy in the draft but had depth at that position that year ala Shane Vereen, James White, Trey Flowers. Then I think there are rookies Bill liked in the draft that he found out couldn't play. I just don't see how Asiasi couldn't get on the field last year for any other reason than he can't play. I am not writing him off yet and I am hoping that some of the pressure is off to be "the guy" at TE with Smith and Henry in front of him. Let him develop in the background and when one of those guys gets hurt maybe he steps up or maybe he just can't play.

Agreed. But with no real training camp and no preseason games I do not think a comparison to rookies who had a training camp and preseason is completely valid. I can understand that learning on-the-fly with BB yelling at the rookies could be a tough position. After this preseason let's see how Keene and Asiasi look.

I would be surprised if he didn't make the 53 but I saw nothing to show he is a "talented player" by NFL standards. He was a healthy scratch for a lot of the year on a team with no other option at the position.
The last game of the year showed the type of player Asiasi could be. Let’s also not forget the Pats had the worst starting QB in the NFL throwing to him. I can almost guarantee he will be TE 3 this year.

Let’s also not forget both Smith and Hunter have injury histories. I doubt very much neither miss any games in their during their stays with the Pats. There will be a need for Asiasi and/or Keene.

He's the type of player who can have his only 2 catches of a season against a Jets team that's just waiting for the year to end?
So you’re ready to give up on him after one season ? Or you’re just generally a negative person ?

So you’re ready to give up on him after one season ? Or you’re just generally a negative person ?
I'm just the guy who was making a joke in response to someone who made a silly post.

Not surprised to see vitale go bye bye!

now can keane step up his game? I’m not really a fan of Johnson’s, but he is a better option at this point than Keene.

BB loaded up on the DL run D during the offseason and by signing Judon and KVN at least they are in better shape on the edge to deal with losing High than last year.

Agree it would of been a catastrophic missing piece without the signings. Now I thibk they have enough to make it work even if he does leave. Him staying only makes it stronger.

Hard to believe they got bye with losses of Hightower, Van Noy and ofcourse Ashleys favorite Roberts a year ago. No wonder the run stopping was in complete disarray? Despite that they still fielded a competitive defense considering the losses. With the additions one could only hope for massive improvement back to something that resembles an elite defense.

I don't think so.
Certainly not something that would stick, as in, with real damages. And the team actually made a lot of very flexibility-friendly noises at the time, to the effect of "everybody has to consider their own situation/their own family" etc.

On the other hand, I'm sure Arlen Specter's kid thinks Kraft let them go... :D

Ixnay on the oliticspay!

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents