PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vitale, we hardly knew ye...

Is it Keene vs. Johnson for one spot?
Great question.

Historically when they've kept 2 TEs and 5WRs they've had 1 FB and w/o FB they've kept 2 TEs, a HBack and 5 WRs.

I think if Keene does well, Asiasi might be shipped out before Jakob is.

They could decide on 4WRs to start the season with and let the situation resolve itself.

Great question.

Historically when they've kept 2 TEs and 5WRs they've had 1 FB and w/o FB they've kept 2 TEs, a HBack and 5 WRs.

I think if Keene does well, Asiasi might be shipped out before Jakob is.

They could decide on 4WRs to start the season with and let the situation resolve itself.
Asiasi isn’t going anywhere. He’s a talented player, who by the end of the season, was the team’s best TE (that’s not saying much). I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make the final 53.

I was wondering how the opt outs would be received. Seems we may have an answer.
Is it the reception, or the thick layer of rust that inevitably comes with taking a year off?

In any event, the emphasis on the damage done by opt-outs to last year's team seems way overhyped. We missed Hightower, Chung may have been useful or may have retired anyway, and that's about it

Asiasi isn’t going anywhere. He’s a talented player, who by the end of the season, was the team’s best TE (that’s not saying much). I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make the final 53.
I would be surprised if he didn't make the 53 but I saw nothing to show he is a "talented player" by NFL standards. He was a healthy scratch for a lot of the year on a team with no other option at the position.

I was wondering how the opt outs would be received. Seems we may have an answer.
Yep. I'd like to think BB is not going all vendetta on these guys but you can't ignore the trend.

I think Chung is the exception. He was done

Is it the reception, or the thick layer of rust that inevitably comes with taking a year off?

In any event, the emphasis on the damage done by opt-outs to last year's team seems way overhyped. We missed Hightower, Chung may have been useful or may have retired anyway, and that's about it
If we got to camp and these guys were getting cut I could see the argument that they were rusty due to a year off. Them getting cut in the spring makes me think that the opting out may have had a slight impact on their roster status.

Yep. I'd like to think BB is not going all vendetta on these guys but you can't ignore the trend.

Agree. I think there was a chance that without Covid Chung retired last year and maybe the opt out was a sort of trial run to see if he enjoyed not playing. He made good money, has taken a beating in his career, and also saw the influx of younger safeties and he may not have wanted to be part of a rebuild.

I'm not sure it's vendetta related, simply that BB wasn't going to keep a spot warm for anybody. Without knowing for sure that any of these guys were coming back (or would still be ready to go after a year off) he added pieces to their positions either via free agency or the draft. For most of these opt outs now, it's clear BB sees more potential in the new guys. Plus Chung retired (which doesn't really count), Cannon seemed like a cap move plus the emergence of Onwenu and addition of Brown, and Vitale/Lee weren't sure things to make the team even in last year's camp. I'd buy the vendetta angle more if one of them was cut at a position of great need and still seemed to have a lot left in the tank. Then I'd raise an eyebrow for sure.

If we got to camp and these guys were getting cut I could see the argument that they were rusty due to a year off. Them getting cut in the spring makes me think that the opting out may have had a slight impact on their roster status.
I do think BB has taken a position for each player as their situations are a bit different. The common thread is their commitment to the program past and current being taken into account.

Cannon was not committed. Not sure if it was due to salary, etc
Hightower seems to be trending that way but a bit premature to say right now.
Chung was done. BB might have had a chat with him about commitment and Chung decided he was done. BB understood and it was all good.
Vitale, Marqise Lee and Najee Toran didn't/don't have the cred in the program.
LaCosse is on the outside looking in regardless. BB might do him a favor at some point by cutting him.

Bolden has cred. I think BB will give him every opportunity to be on the team.

How many 2020 opt-outs are left with the team now? Hightower. I think Matt LaCosse is still on the team somehow. Is that it?
The whole "But all those opt outs!" theory/excuse for last year has crashed and burned.

I would be surprised if he didn't make the 53 but I saw nothing to show he is a "talented player" by NFL standards. He was a healthy scratch for a lot of the year on a team with no other option at the position.

I agree he will make the 53. Isn't a rookie with no preseason commonly a healthy scratch for BB? Agreed that we had very little option at TE last year, but I think BB will use different formations with experienced players instead of forcing a rookie into a role to support an offensive formation. Asiasi is talented, very athletic and big. Will he make the transition? I think Asiasi and Keene will be solid players, if not good players.

Think we were the most troubled with opt outs but someone may have the ability to check through the other teams and see who has been retained or cut ? This may give an idea if there is a trend with players across the league who opted out.

I liked Fumagalli coming out of college, but I think he’s a JAG who will only be a camp body.
Does anybody else hear Rob Schneider's voice when they see that name, fumilia, The fumster......oh I guess **** Vitale is still alive.

Nothing definitive but I am a bit more concerned about Hightower , hope he does come back.
BB loaded up on the DL run D during the offseason and by signing Judon and KVN at least they are in better shape on the edge to deal with losing High than last year.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back