PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
He couldn't be a back up because not a single one of the 32 teams wanted him as a backup.

I agree I'm just trying to prove a point. Why not go to the CFL where he was offered a contract?

Don't worry about it. Andy thinks that Brady Quinn and Kyle Orton would have won all those games too. Andy also thinks throwing 1 interception in those 8 wins is insignificant. Andy also thinks Tebow sucked at clutchtime in those 4th quarter wins. Any backup quarterback out there would be expected to turn that team around like that once he was made starter.

If you are going to try to speak for me, at least get it right.

Just a question how does he plan on being noticed by a team. Shouldn't he have become a back up for someone in the NFL just to keep his name in the system and keep playing in a little game situations and practice time. I don't think I've ever heard about a NFL player who has left the league then came back and became a starter.

The Jets tried that and couldn't get him any game or practice time cause when they put him in in practice he was so terrible.

And his "he's a great team player, great character in the locker room!"...that works if a player is respected as a PLAYER, but if he's just an utter joke, it doesn't really matter how nice a guy he is.

Please point out where I need to 'establish relevance'?

Huh?
Anecdotal examples lack relevance. You simply made comments that there is no documentation are accurate, nor is there any reason to believe they are relevant.
Tebow's comments to Thomas are anecdotal, and not relevant unless you can establish they are unique, and actually had an effect, none of which you have come close to doing.

A Football Life: Tebow the quarterback - NFL RUSH. Steve Young and a few others talk about Tebow.

Steve Young said "what I have a firm belief in now and seeing him up close and personal. He can do the job. He has the natural throwing talent to actually play QB in the NFL, drop back 40 times, and be efficient, and be good at it and then possibly great at it. He's got technical flaws that need to get fixed. Sometimes you just have to go backwards to go forward."

Roger Staubach said "Tim I think you should just continue the great example that you are and I know that you are living that example. You'll continue to develop and become one of the great NFL QBs. You have the physical ability and you're mentally tough."

I know you are a Tebow fan, but to counter 32 NFL teams deciding he is not worth a roster spot by flowery comments from religious ex-QBs in support of another relgious ex-QB isn't really accomplishing much in the discussion.

The Jets tried that and couldn't get him any game or practice time cause when they put him in in practice he was so terrible.

And his "he's a great team player, great character in the locker room!"...that works if a player is respected as a PLAYER, but if he's just an utter joke, it doesn't really matter how nice a guy he is.

I have no doubt that Tebow is a great guy, a good teammate, and someone I would be happy having my daughter date.
None of those things overcome the fact that he is not a good NFL QB.

That's very true how do you respect a guy who is just a joke of a football player.

You probably make a lot more money doing commercials, tv and entertainment than doing CFL football. If he wants to get his foot in the door right now for a television career the rest of his life, I don't blame him. For an entertainment career, now is the time while he's popular. Tebow is most likely done with football in the NFL. CFL is a longshot for getting back to the NFL. I don't think success in minor league football will change anybody's mind. He would probably win there too. But the NFL coaches have already decided they don't want him and they are looking at the next young crop of qb's. That's ok, Tebow's backup plan is television and not CFL. Who cares? It's funny you attack his character that he's "too good" for CFL or that you claim he feels he shouldn't have to earn an NFL job.

I agreed with most of what you said, if he wants to go to TV as his next career he's going down the right path, however he is the one claiming that the NFL is his goal yet he refuses to do the work to get himself back there, and pointing that out isn't a "character attack" it's a fact. He clearly isn't willing to go get a job playing football in the CFL and he still says being an NFL QB is his goal, so he either thinks that NFL teams should just hand him a job or he is being dishonest. You tell me which it is?

You guys just make excuse after excuse for Tebow and his career. The truth is that he isn't good enough and refuses to do the work to make himself good enough. And those are just the facts.

If you are going to try to speak for me, at least get it right.

If I remember right, you said all of those. Correct those if I mistook you. Which ones am I wrong about you?

Pretty sure you said he sucked in the 4th qtr of those wins too, pretty sure you thought Quinn or Orton or any other qb would have gotten the same result. Pretty sure you did not recognize the importance of not throwing int's during those 8 wins. If not why did you argue with every one of these points I made earlier?

You probably make a lot more money doing commercials, tv and entertainment than doing CFL football. If he wants to get his foot in the door right now for a television career the rest of his life, I don't blame him. For an entertainment career, now is the time while he's popular.

No one here was talking about him or creating threads about him or blaming him in any way for wanting to make money or have a future in TV or entertainment, what started this discussion was Meyer's claim that Tebows real goal is to be an NFL QB, and people have every right to question that claim when he clearly is not willing to do what it would take to get back to the NFL. So if you want to blame someone then blame Meyer, because he's the one bringing Tebow's actions into question, not us. His actions don't square with his stated goals, but if you find some way to square them you let us know.

I really want a new car, so i think i will surf all day because that's what i really want to do.

It's the car dealers fault I don't have a new car, I must be too popular for one.

I agreed with most of what you said, if he wants to go to TV as his next career he's going down the right path, however he is the one claiming that the NFL is his goal yet he refuses to do the work to get himself back there, and pointing that out isn't a "character attack" it's a fact. He clearly isn't willing to go get a job playing football in the CFL and he still says being an NFL QB is his goal, so he either thinks that NFL teams should just hand him a job or he is being dishonest. You tell me which it is?

You guys just make excuse after excuse for Tebow and his career. The truth is that he isn't good enough and refuses to do the work to make himself good enough. And those are just the facts.

I agree, he did not do well enough to convince a coach to keep him. How would you know if he's lazy and feels entitled? Fact is you don't know to attack his character. Plenty of others has said he's a hard worker.

If I remember right, you said all of those. Correct those if I mistook you. Which ones am I wrong about you?
All of them :rolleyes:

Pretty sure you said he sucked in the 4th qtr of those wins too
Nope, but you could find that if it were true

pretty sure you thought Quinn or Orton or any other qb would have gotten the same result.
Nope. I said the style of football they adopted when he became QB better suited their roster, and if they did it with someone who could throw the ball better, they may have gotten as good or better results.

Pretty sure you did not recognize the importance of not throwing int's during those 8 wins.
Nope, I said there is more to playing QB than just not throwing Ints. Succeeding at the position is more important than not failing miserably because the offense was dumbed down for you.

If not why did you argue with every one of these points I made earlier?
Because you were wrong. However, twisting and exaggerating and misrepresenting my comments will not make you right.
Examples: When you say he threw the ball better in the 4th quarter and I point out that no he didn't, that does not equal me saying he sucked in the 4th quarter.
When you say he didn't throw many Ints in the games he won, and I say there is more to being a good QB than that,it does not mean I said it is not important to protect the football.

But you knew that.

I agree, he did not do well enough to convince a coach to keep him. How would you know if he's lazy and feels entitled? Fact is you don't know to attack his character. Plenty of others has said he's a hard worker.

Show where I ever called him "lazy?" It has never happened.

As for acting "entitled" i would say that about anyone who continually claims to have a lofty goal but won't do the work necessary to achieve it, especially when those supporting him keep making the claim that the reason he isn't getting a chance is because he is being persecuted. e.g..."he can't get a job as an NFL QB because he is too popular," a claim made by often by his supporters.

Imo Tebow's claim that being an NFL QB is his real goal and his refusal to go to the CFL or any other league that would give him a chance is a demonstration of feeling entitled. You are welcome to disagree with that but it is how i see it, and it's how i would see it for anyone with a big goal who is unwilling to put the time in at a lesser level to achieve it. They simply don't want it bad enough, if they did they would make the effort.

I called him a hard worker and a great guy earlier in this thread, and i believe he has both qualities, but the hard work aspect of it does not extend to his repeatedly stated goal of being an NFL QB. Just working out does not get you to the NFL, you have to show more than that and he refuses to put himself in a situation to do that, and his past performances won't get him there so the only route he has is to go pplay and show he is good enough, but since the other leagues are below him that is apparently not an option for him.

And for the record Boogs if tebow changed his mind tomorrow and said he was going to Toronto or Montreal to win a job and try and get another shot in the NFL as a QB I would praise him for his willingness to try and achieve his dream, and I would wish him the best with it, but I'm not going to give him credit for saying "I'm working out and hoping a team will call," that's just BS.

Show where I ever called him "lazy?" It has never happened.

As for acting "entitled" i would say that about anyone who continually claims to have a lofty goal but won't do the work necessary to achieve it, especially when those supporting him keep making the claim that the reason he isn't getting a chance is because he is being persecuted. e.g..."he can't get a job as an NFL QB because he is too popular," a claim made by often by his supporters.

Imo Tebow's claim that being an NFL QB is his real goal and his refusal to go to the CFL or any other league that would give him a chance is a demonstration of feeling entitled. You are welcome to disagree with that but it is how i see it, and it's how i would see it for anyone with a big goal who is unwilling to put the time in at a lesser level to achieve it. They simply don't want it bad enough, if they did they would make the effort.
You said "he refuses to do the work to make himself good enough." I interpreted that as lazy. What do you mean then?
He would succeed at the lower levels of football. And the NFL would still not be convinced because he didn't do it against the best. It's rare to go the CFL route back to the NFL. I think it would do nothing for him really.
Edit: Tebow style of play is probably ugly win football.

I called him a hard worker and a great guy earlier in this thread, and i believe he has both qualities, but the hard work aspect of it does not extend to his repeatedly stated goal of being an NFL QB. Just working out does not get you to the NFL, you have to show more than that and he refuses to put himself in a situation to do that, and his past performances won't get him there so the only route he has is to go pplay and show he is good enough, but since the other leagues are below him that is apparently not an option for him.

And for the record Boogs if tebow changed his mind tomorrow and said he was going to Toronto or Montreal to win a job and try and get another shot in the NFL as a QB I would praise him for his willingness to try and achieve his dream, and I would wish him the best with it, but I'm not going to give him credit for saying "I'm working out and hoping a team will call," that's just BS.

I disagree on the "below him" comment. He just doesn't want to play minor league ball IMO. I now see where you're coming from on the hard work/lazy part.

You said "he refuses to do the work to make himself good enough." I interpreted that as lazy. What do you mean then?
He would succeed at the lower levels of football. And the NFL would still not be convinced because he didn't do it against the best.

What i mean is that he is simply not completely dedicated to his repeatedly stated goal of being an NFL QB, that doesn't in any way mean he's a lazy person, in fact he appears to be anything but that, and that is also why i see him as feeling entitled, because he isn't a lazy person, he says he really wants to be an NFL QB, but won't go to the one league where he could actually achieve his "dream."

"And the NFL would still not be convinced because he didn't do it against the best." - Boogs

And once again you make excuses for him and claim he is being persecuted as you now claim that even if he showed he could play they would just find a way to dismiss it. Poor Timmy, he just can't get a break.

Out of the NFL, Chris Kluwe compares himself to Tim Tebow - CBSSports.com “As much as we are polar opposites on the things we stand for, Tebow is the exact same way,” Kluwe said (via ProFootballTalk.com). “There are backup quarterbacks in the NFL right now that Tebow is certainly better than -- he could fill a role with a team. But because he brings this other stuff with him, just like I bring my other stuff with me, teams look at it like, ‘We don't want it. We don't want players speaking out. We don't want players doing anything other than football.'”

I disagree on the "below him" comment. He just doesn't want to play minor league ball IMO. I now see where you're coming from on the hard work/lazy part.

Boogs, your "he just doesn't want to play minor league ball" comment is exactly what i mean when i say he feels it is below him. It's fine if he feels that way but he will never realize his dream if he does feel that way. How can any player claim their goal is to be a major leaguer but refuse to play in the minors, that is simply wanting things to be handed to you, and i don't care who that is.

Out of the NFL, Chris Kluwe compares himself to Tim Tebow - CBSSports.com “As much as we are polar opposites on the things we stand for, Tebow is the exact same way,” Kluwe said (via ProFootballTalk.com). “There are backup quarterbacks in the NFL right now that Tebow is certainly better than -- he could fill a role with a team. But because he brings this other stuff with him, just like I bring my other stuff with me, teams look at it like, ‘We don't want it. We don't want players speaking out. We don't want players doing anything other than football.'”

Come down off that cross Timmy we could use the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back