PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if he wants a shot he better start now he is not getting any better. I'm surprised Christian cat is not all over this, the cat usually has a field day in these types of threads

Did you ever play sport?
Yes, my whole life.

Ever been around an inspirational figure in your life? Tebow is a great, great leader, they won because of him.
I totally disagree with this.

The video of him sitting down telling Demaryius Thomas not to worry about a drop and telling him he was going to go back out there and catch the game winning touchdown shows what an incredible leader he is.
Any QB (aside from maybe Jay Cutler) would do that. Do you think Thomas is happier now having one who can throw him the ball accurately than one who pats him on the back? Did you miss Thomas' comments about Tebow on the way out?

To say they won in spite of him is plain ridiculous, they lost with Orton, they didn't win in spite of Orton.
The won games with awful QB play. That is winning in spite of him.
The team was better playing ultra conservative and relying on the defense than throwing a lot. If Orton had stayed and they adopted that philosophy, but threw the ball better, they would have won more.

I'm a huge fan of the guy as a sportsman. I don't believe in a god, I don't think he has great skills but his leadership qualities are undeniable.
Guys who cant play but are motiviational dont beat guys who can play and arent.

Still though there are probbaly worse QB's in the NFL right now than Tebow, but he obviously doesn't care about his NFL career that much or he would have changed positions to stay with a team.

I doubt it. However, there are likely better quarterbacks who'd give anything for a look that won't get one, while people slobber all over his every move.

Have you ever played sports with guys that always seem to win ugly? That's what I'm saying. Tebow may be one of those guys. It was ugly in 2011, but they started winning when Tebow was made the starter.

Some of us lived through Joe Kapp.

For those who don't know, he was kind of the bar room brawler version of Tebow. When he couldn't find a receiver open enough for one of his wounded ducks, he's tuck it in and punch a linebacker to get a first down.

Can't play or not. Tebow helped elevate a run game by about 60 yds per game. Like I said, he threw 1 pick in the 8 wins they had that year. His passing was terrible for the most part until the 4th quarter when it matters most. These are the things directly affected by playing Tebow yet you give him no credit for them. Doesn't do you any good to have a beautiful pocket passer who throws game changing, momentum changing interceptions every Sunday.
There are a whole lot of more talented passers in the league that mentally fold like an accordion when faced with the pressure of competition.

Can't play or not. Tebow helped elevate a run game by about 60 yds per game. Like I said, he threw 1 pick in the 8 wins they had that year. His passing was terrible for the most part until the 4th quarter when it matters most. These are the things directly affected by playing Tebow yet you give him no credit for them. Doesn't do you any good to have a beautiful pocket passer who throws game changing, momentum changing interceptions every Sunday.
There are a whole lot of more talented passers in the league that mentally fold like an accordion when faced with the pressure of competition.

No one is arguing the success he had in Denver. What we are saying is that if he wanted to be a football player he would not be a broadcaster. He would hone his skills in the CFL or play a different position. He's a selfish, ego-maniac who i lost all respect for.

No one is arguing the success he had in Denver. What we are saying is that if he wanted to be a football player he would not be a broadcaster. He would hone his skills in the CFL or play a different position. He's a selfish, ego-maniac who i lost all respect for.

What makes you think Tebow would be successful in the NFL at a different position? I agree he's not fit to play quarterback in the league. His mechanics are horrible and if you make him have to come off his first read and go through his progressions, he's done. But at a different position, one that he's probably never played before in his life either, it's not exactly a sure thing that he would make it. Can't fault the guy for wanting to stick with the position that he knows best and grew up in to try to make it in the league. Tebow was and is just doing what is most logical.

Can't play or not. Tebow helped elevate a run game by about 60 yds per game.
Because they wouldn't throw the ball.

Like I said, he threw 1 pick in the 8 wins they had that year. His passing was terrible for the most part until the 4th quarter when it matters most.
It wasn't better in the 4th quarter either.

These are the things directly affected by playing Tebow yet you give him no credit for them.
I give him credit and blame for everything. You are arguing as if by finding any positive aspect of the player that means he isn't a bad player.
Tebow is a good running QB. He is still a bad NFL QB.
Please stop the strawman argument that saying he is bad means he can do nothing right at all.

Doesn't do you any good to have a beautiful pocket passer who throws game changing, momentum changing interceptions every Sunday.
Who is that? Which QB are you saying does this, that Tebow is better than?

Please name them. Please give me your list of the QBs you think Tebow is better than.

Yes, my whole life.

-
I totally disagree with this.

You totally disagree that he is an inspirational leader? Please explain this why?
Any QB (aside from maybe Jay Cutler) would do that. Do you think Thomas is happier now having one who can throw him the ball accurately than one who pats him on the back? Did you miss Thomas' comments about Tebow on the way out?
Not going here because whether Thomas prefers one of the most accurate passers in the NFL has nothing to do with my comments.

The won games with awful QB play. That is winning in spite of him.
The team was better playing ultra conservative and relying on the defense than throwing a lot. If Orton had stayed and they adopted that philosophy, but threw the ball better, they would have won more.
I never said he played great. Did you read some other posts and get confused?
He did some good stuff in the fourth quarter of games though. You know the clutch time which is something he has plenty of too.
Maybe guys with a little bit of motivational talk in them but not guys with an immense presence like Tebow. A guy who runs over to his defense and tells them to get the stop and he'll win them the game. The D goes out and picks it off and Tebow is true to his word and gets them into field goal range to win the game, I can't remember who it was against. That was one hell of a performance in the fourth quarter from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this in the Patriots main forum?

I would suggest the NFL forum, but it doesn't belong there either.

Maybe the practice squad, but he would be lucky to be there too.

• Because it's the offseason
  • Because Tebow used to wear a Pats uniform
  • Because people care

-

You totally disagree that he is an inspirational leader? Please explain this why?

Not going here because whether Thomas prefers one of the most accurate passers in the NFL has nothing to do with my comments.

I never said he played great. Did you read some other posts and get confused?
He did some good stuff in the fourth quarter of games though. You know the clutch time which is something he has plenty of too.

Maybe guys with a little bit of motivational talk in them but not guys with an immense presence like Tebow. A guy who runs over to his defense and tells them to get the stop and he'll win them the game. The D goes out and picks it off and Tebow is true to his word and gets them into field goal range to win the game, I can't remember who it was against. That was one hell of a performance in the fourth quarter from him.

That is fine if you feel that way. I don't believe that rah rah stuff makes a difference with professional football players. As a Patriot fan, I assumed you saw it that way too.
I think the league has responded on this as well, evidenced by his unemployed status.

While it is true that i am a Tebow skeptic it is undeniable that the more time he spends doing commercials and TV football commentary the closer he gets to his dream of one day being an NFL QB again. He was being dragged down by actually playing the position and trying to get better and all the time away from the game will only help his cause.

What makes you think Tebow would be successful in the NFL at a different position? I agree he's not fit to play quarterback in the league. His mechanics are horrible and if you make him have to come off his first read and go through his progressions, he's done. But at a different position, one that he's probably never played before in his life either, it's not exactly a sure thing that he would make it. Can't fault the guy for wanting to stick with the position that he knows best and grew up in to try to make it in the league. Tebow was and is just doing what is most logical.

I have no clue if he can play a different position. All i know is the following:
1. Denver - team had success with him at the helm despite his deficiencies. Mr Egomaniac decided i'm going to make this about me with his tebowing and religious preaching.
2. He gets cut and goes to the Jets, where he stinks.
3. He signs with the Pats and gets cut like everyone expects.

Now he's out of the league, if he wanted to play QB he could have gone to the CFL/Arena, because no NFL team wanted him. He could have tried a new position if there was interest. What did he do, nothing. And then he goes into broadcasting. He's a hypocrite

That is fine if you feel that way. I don't believe that rah rah stuff makes a difference with professional football players. As a Patriot fan, I assumed you saw it that way too.
I think the league has responded on this as well, evidenced by his unemployed status.

As a Patriots fan I remember all too well when Belichick was bemoaning the lack of leadership on the D. In drafts since then its been very clear how important players who have been team captains are in his thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Patriots fan I remember all too well when Belichick was bemoaning the lack of leadership on the D. In drafts since then its been very clear how important players who have been team captains are in his thinking.

What does that have to do with whether a QB who is not good is valuable because he is a rah-rah type guy?
I'm sure you will find that drafting captains is consistent throughout most teams, since generally the best players get drafted and the best players are captains.
You are creating an anecdotal example to prove an anecdotal point.

What does that have to do with whether a QB who is not good is valuable because he is a rah-rah type guy?
I'm sure you will find that drafting captains is consistent throughout most teams, since generally the best players get drafted and the best players are captains.
You are creating an anecdotal example to prove an anecdotal point.

I specifically remember where Belichick was saying that there was nobody going up to other players and clapping them on the back after they made a big play, this was a couple of years back.

There are lots of players who are drafted and pretty highly that are not team captains. Its not always the case that the best players are team captains.

Its not an anecdotal example by any stretch, its a response to one that you made.

Tebow is the biggest joke of an athlete since that 3 foot tall batter the Oakland a's used in the 1970s. He's a publicity stunt. His fans are delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft