PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever played sports with guys that always seem to win ugly? That's what I'm saying. Tebow may be one of those guys. It was ugly in 2011, but they started winning when Tebow was made the starter.

He did not play well. They won in spite of him.

Lets be honest.

If Tebow was open to not just being a QB he would have much more versatility and with versatility there was a much better chance someone like Belichick might have found him worthy of a roster spot.

It's been a year. That's a lot of time to practice the "other" skills that might help get him picked up in the NFL, blocking, catching, route-running.

He is not an NFL caliber player at those positions. Honest.
To say he could just work on the side for a year and be better than guys who have played the position their whole life is silly.
If Tebow was the only player you were able to add to your team, you may be able to find some things he doesn't totally suck at. But considering that it is him OR SOMEONE BETTER, there are just a plethora of betters.

You are incorrect. Go back and look at the stats.

Tim Tebow Game By Game Stats and Performance - ESPN

About 2/3rd of the games he was okay to great... 1/3 was subpar to crappy. But 4 OT wins... including 316 yards and 2 TD's against Pitt in the playoffs, plus 50 yards on 10 carries and another TD.

And it was essentially his first season. He did not play TRADITIONALLY well, i.e. Manning/Brady pocket passers headed for the HOF. But he DID play well. In his only real shot thus far.

You are incorrect. Go back and look at the stats.

Tim Tebow Game By Game Stats and Performance - ESPN

About 2/3rd of the games he was okay to great... 1/3 was subpar to crappy. But 4 OT wins... including 316 yards and 2 TD's against Pitt in the playoffs, plus 50 yards on 10 carries and another TD.

And it was essentially his first season. He did not play TRADITIONALLY well, i.e. Manning/Brady pocket passers headed for the HOF. But he DID play well. In his only real shot thus far.

He completed over 50% of his passes 2 times in 13 games. 50% is a bad game.
He passed for over 200 yards 3 times in 13 games. 200 yards is a bad game.
His team scored over 20 points 3 times in 13 games.
He was awful, but the team won some games in spite of him.

Are you calling his 2-8-69 an okay to great game?
Or his 6-22-60? His 9-26-136? 10-21-124? 9-20-104? 13-29-185? 13-27-161? 18-39-172? 21-40-236 and 13 points in OT?
Thats 9 of 13 there. By your count some of those were great?????

Well, I hope to date super models but my age, waistline, and wife are have squashed that dream....welcome to reality Tim :D

He completed over 50% of his passes 2 times in 13 games. 50% is a bad game.
He passed for over 200 yards 3 times in 13 games. 200 yards is a bad game.
His team scored over 20 points 3 times in 13 games.
He was awful, but the team won some games in spite of him.

Are you calling his 2-8-69 an okay to great game?
Or his 6-22-60? His 9-26-136? 10-21-124? 9-20-104? 13-29-185? 13-27-161? 18-39-172? 21-40-236 and 13 points in OT?
Thats 9 of 13 there. By your count some of those were great?????

50% is only bad in isolation. He was below 50 against Pittsburgh. Was that a bad game? Look at the QB rating, not just the completions, like you would for any QB not named Tebow. And add in the running totals too.

Look, I'm not saying he's God's gift to QBs. (no pun intended) Just that for a rookie season, there was something there to work with. Maybe it just wasn't enough.

According to oldrover's link, in the 8 games Denver won, I think he only threw 1 pick. I also remember their team rushing average went up to number one in the league once he started. As much as you hate it, Tebow was part of that equation. IMO their was no qb on Denver's bench that could have gotten that team to where they ended up that year. You probably would've left Orton in or put in Brady Quinn instead. Good luck getting the same result, it was absolutely crazy but that kind of season only happens with putting in Tebow. Orton and Quinn would not have given you that result(8-8 with a playoff win).

He is not an NFL caliber player at those positions. Honest.
To say he could just work on the side for a year and be better than guys who have played the position their whole life is silly.
If Tebow was the only player you were able to add to your team, you may be able to find some things he doesn't totally suck at. But considering that it is him OR SOMEONE BETTER, there are just a plethora of betters.

Actually my point was more to the effect that learning another position is his last real chance to add the versatility he'll need if he wants to play in the NFL and he's missed a year of trying to do just that.

Players are moved to other positions and can get good enough to play within a year or two or even less. See the link below for 10 college QBs that did just that.

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/college_qbs_position_switch/brian_mitchell.html?state=stop

Maybe Tebow IS incapable of being good at another position but by not being open to the idea of even trying he is not going to get the opportunity that many of his fellow college QBs have had in finding a spot for themselves on a 53 man NFL roster.

Did someone say...

wtf.gif

Tebow?

Why is this in the Patriots main forum?

I would suggest the NFL forum, but it doesn't belong there either.

Maybe the practice squad, but he would be lucky to be there too.

50% is only bad in isolation.
Huh?

He was below 50 against Pittsburgh. Was that a bad game? Look at the QB rating, not just the completions, like you would for any QB not named Tebow. And add in the running totals too.
I look at his play. It was bad.

Look, I'm not saying he's God's gift to QBs. (no pun intended) Just that for a rookie season, there was something there to work with. Maybe it just wasn't enough.
Every college QB could go out on the field and make some plays. Just like a lot of them, Tebow just was not capable of making enough to be any good.

According to oldrover's link, in the 8 games Denver won, I think he only threw 1 pick. I also remember their team rushing average went up to number one in the league once he started. As much as you hate it, Tebow was part of that equation. IMO their was no qb on Denver's bench that could have gotten that team to where they ended up that year. You probably would've left Orton in or put in Brady Quinn instead. Good luck getting the same result, it was absolutely crazy but that kind of season only happens with putting in Tebow. Orton and Quinn would not have given you that result(8-8 with a playoff win).

Not throwing Ints is not the only gauge of QB play. When he barely threw the ball and most of the passes were screens, dump off, and one route reads then take off and run, what do you expect.
Did you actually watch him throw the football last August? You cannot tell me that guy is good enough to play QB in the NFL.
Better than Brady Quinn (which is still debatable) isnt a strong argument.
They would have won with either of those QBs if they played the same D for them. They won on defense.

So Andy says that not throwing int's is not the only gauge of play, but then he says that % IS the only gauge? LMAO

And Andy watched him come from behind to beat 4 teams in overtime, and thought that was bad. And he can't see how a QB can have a great game with a % below 50.

I guess wins and losses don't matter anymore. We'll do like Belichick said about Brady and Bledsoe... we'll ask people how they feel about the game. 4th graders, janitors, Andy Johnson, everybody. LOL

Not throwing Ints is not the only gauge of QB play. When he barely threw the ball and most of the passes were screens, dump off, and one route reads then take off and run, what do you expect.
Did you actually watch him throw the football last August? You cannot tell me that guy is good enough to play QB in the NFL.
Better than Brady Quinn (which is still debatable) isnt a strong argument.
They would have won with either of those QBs if they played the same D for them. They won on defense.

The D did come up huge in those wins. I give you that Andy. But so did Tebow in the 4th quarter of those wins.
I still think you underestimate not screwing up (1 interception in those 8 wins) while having the number one running game in the league since Tebow started.
A good D, good running game and a qb that doesn't throw it to the other team can be a winning formula. It doesn't have to be all about setting passing records.

Tebow is an egomaniac nut. If he cared he would be playing in the CFL right now.

He's just another one of these hypocrites. Keep living the lie Tebow

So Andy says that not throwing int's is not the only gauge of play, but then he says that % IS the only gauge? LMAO
Where did I say that?

And Andy watched him come from behind to beat 4 teams in overtime, and thought that was bad. And he can't see how a QB can have a great game with a % below 50.
He is a bad NFL QB. 32 NFL teams agree with me and disagree with you.

I guess wins and losses don't matter anymore.
You have to resort to an inane strawman to make your arguemnt?

We'll do like Belichick said about Brady and Bledsoe... we'll ask people how they feel about the game. 4th graders, janitors, Andy Johnson, everybody. LOL

32 NFL teams have told you what they think of Tebow. You seem to be the one thinking like a 4th grader/

The D did come up huge in those wins. I give you that Andy. But so did Tebow in the 4th quarter of those wins.
I still think you underestimate not screwing up (1 interception in those 8 wins) while having the number one running game in the league since Tebow started.

An offense is supposed to score points. A QB is supposed to effectively throw the ball and move the team and score points. If the Broncos tried to run a real offense, Tebows inability to throw the ball well would have resulted in a lot of Ints, that is why they did not.
Its like saying Ridley fumbled a lot less when Blount was getting most of the carries.

As long as Urban Meyer can keep Tebow off the phone for 8 second convos with recruits at Ohio State, I'll be happy :cool:

Tired of these self-reported sanctions that amount to much of nothing.

Tebow is hardly alone; there are plenty of quarterbacks selected in the first round over the last few years that didn't live up to their draft status.

2012: Brandon Weeden
2011: Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
2010: Tim Tebow
2009: Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman
2007: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart
2005: Alex Smith, Jason Campbell
2004: J.P. Losman
2003: Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
2002: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey

Did you ever play sport? Ever been around an inspirational figure in your life? Tebow is a great, great leader, they won because of him. The video of him sitting down telling Demaryius Thomas not to worry about a drop and telling him he was going to go back out there and catch the game winning touchdown shows what an incredible leader he is.

To say they won in spite of him is plain ridiculous, they lost with Orton, they didn't win in spite of Orton.

I'm a huge fan of the guy as a sportsman. I don't believe in a god, I don't think he has great skills but his leadership qualities are undeniable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News