PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update: Curran says Belichick has been on the hot seat since 2019

Agreed, in any case I hope he isn’t in that Chuck Noll/Don Shula phase of the game passing you by and the org hangs on too long. I don’t see Kraft being like that, he has high expectations,

Shula was winning playoff games and getting to the playoffs in the end. This is more like Landry.

If they miss the playoffs again I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a move for Bill to save face and offer him a job upstairs in the FO.

As long as the job upstairs in the FO doesn't include grocery-shopping, then that's cool.

Bill the GM needs to be Fired, and his job given to Eliot Wolf.

Bill the HC would then likely find more success in a reduced role.

Shula never won a Super Bowl with Marino, apples and oranges.
Sure but tbf Marino's entire prime was during the era of super teams. The bigger mark against him is not getting to more Super Bowls in the AFC than it was not winning them. When Shula coached Marino the Niner's won 4 titles, Redskins won 2, Giants won 2, Bears won 1, and Dallas won 3.

No team but those other NFC powerhouses were getting passed those Super Bowl winners. The bigger indictment is he never got out of the AFC after 1984, but it wasn't realistic to expect anyone else to win those titles. And then when the NFC dynasties stopped Shula was already gone.

Curran joining the party now saying Bill’s seat has been hot since 2019.

“Rich, he’s on the hot seat, and he’s been there at different levels of warmth since 2019,” the Patriots insider said on “The Rich Eisen Show.”

Lets Go Start GIF

Last edited:

“Rich, he’s on the hot seat, and he’s been there at different levels of warmth since 2019,” the Patriots insider said on “The Rich Eisen Show.”

Lets Go Start GIF
I saw and transcribed it last night and posted it this morning, so here's all of what he said during that interview:

NBC Sports Boston’s Tom Curran appeared on the Rich Eisen show on Monday and was fairly candid about the situation, telling Eisen that Belichick is absolutely under some pressure, which Curran believes started in 2019 after how things played out with Brady in preseason.

“You talk about avoiding the hotseat, Rich, he’s on the hotseat and he’s been there at different levels of warmth since 2019,” said Curran. “Look at it this way. In 2019, Tom Brady wanted a 2-year, $50 million guaranteed contract just like Drew Brees had. He presumed he was going to get that. In training camp, it still was not forthcoming. He’s like, ‘You know what? If I don’t get this thing, I’m walking out.’ It was explained to Belichick that was the case. They got something done.”

“It was not a two-year guaranteed contract. It was two years, with a team option. So at that point, Brady, as we all know, said, ‘O.K. time to go, I’m leaving at the end of the year.’”

“So as that progressed, and the team gets to 8-0 in that season, Brady’s pissed, Kraft is looking at it as, ‘O.K., if we’re moving on from this guy, I hope we have a good plan.’ Brady leaves, Belichick somehow convinces [Patriots Owner Robert] Kraft that not spending that money on Tom Brady was a great idea, he wins a Super Bowl. The Patriots, under Cam Newton – because they don’t have a plan – were a trainwreck offensively.”

“They have a good 2021. They bounce back tremendously, with McDaniels doing a great job of orchestrating things with [Mac] Jones. [Josh] McDaniels leaves, again, no plan for replacement.”

“All those guys they spent $172 million on in guaranteed money in 2022, are so bad, and the decision to have [Matt] Patricia and [Joe] Judge running the offense caused a massive regression and dysfunction. They were one of the worst teams in the league coach-wise, in terms of penalties and situational football and that just shouldn’t happen.”

“So Kraft has pointed out, and I’m babbling here, a number of times, ‘I’m anxious, I want results,’ and he’s not getting them. And I wonder if Belichick had already passed [Don] Shula, or wasn’t even within hailing distance of Shula, if we would really have this kind of a hand-wringing ‘What do you do about Bill?’ conversation. Because it’s not just last year. It goes back to the midway point of 2019.”

Kraft Walking Back Comments?

Curran also talked about the fact that Kraft has been vocal in his desire to see the team get back to being a playoff contender, which would seemingly insinuate that he’s not happy with where things are at.

However, he also pointed out that Kraft has since started walking back those comments ahead of this season, referring to the difficulty the team faces schedule-wise.

“Kraft has already started walking back the demand for a playoff win,” said Curran. “You can sense it in him saying, ‘I expect us to be a good team, but our schedule is something else.’ So last year, he indicated, ‘it’s been three years since we won a playoff game. I expect to win one now this year.’ They didn’t come close to doing that.”

“So now, you’re looking at a situation where you would expect Kraft to ratchet that up. He’s kind of walking it back explaining how difficult the schedule is.”

It certainly won’t be easy. The Patriots open the season with two home games against Philadelphia and the Dolphins, followed by two straight road games against the Jets (with Aaron Rodgers) and Cowboys all on deck to begin the first four weeks of the season.

How that stretch unfolds will potentially be key as from there, New England then faces the Saints at home, a trip to Las Vegas, and then the Bills at Gillette Stadium, followed by a trip to Miami for what would be their final game of October.

So by November, we’ll probably know whether they’ve taken a step forward, or if they have their work cut out for them.

How They Look in 2023 Will Be Critical

Curran also went on to say that it likely won’t be their final record that potentially decides Belichick’s future. It will likely instead be based on how the team looks out on the field, and he believes it clearly needs to be much better than what we saw last season.

“You can’t be situationally stupid. You can’t have a quarterback who is so disgusted on a regular basis that he’s gesturing toward the sideline in disgust,” said Curran. “You can’t seem as if you have no clue. You can’t be one of the worst teams in the red zone or on third down. All of those things can’t happen.”

“If you improve and you’re in the top 10, and you’re losing games where you just get outplayed instead of lateralling over your head with the game on the line, he’s got a better shot, even if the team finishes 8-9.”

“But if they look disorganized, disfunctional and the discipline is out the window? Then they might say, ‘That was a great run, but can you go upstairs and just watch Jerod [Mayo] coach next year?”

Last edited:

Lets Go Start GIF
I think the definition of "hot seat" needs to be qualified.

A 3 year hot seat is stupid

Last edited:
I transcribed all of this last night and posted it this morning, so here's all of it:

NBC Sports Boston’s Tom Curran appeared on the Rich Eisen show on Monday and was fairly candid about the situation, telling Eisen that Belichick is absolutely under some pressure, which Curran believes started in 2019 after how things played out with Brady in preseason.

“You talk about avoiding the hotseat, Rich, he’s on the hotseat and he’s been there at different levels of warmth since 2019,” said Curran. “Look at it this way. In 2019, Tom Brady wanted a 2-year, $50 million guaranteed contract just like Drew Brees had. He presumed he was going to get that. In training camp, it still was not forthcoming. He’s like, ‘You know what? If I don’t get this thing, I’m walking out.’ It was explained to Belichick that was the case. They got something done.”

“It was not a two-year guaranteed contract. It was two years, with a team option. So at that point, Brady, as we all know, said, ‘O.K. time to go, I’m leaving at the end of the year.’”

“So as that progressed, and the team gets to 8-0 in that season, Brady’s pissed, Kraft is looking at it as, ‘O.K., if we’re moving on from this guy, I hope we have a good plan.’ Brady leaves, Belichick somehow convinces [Patriots Owner Robert] Kraft that not spending that money on Tom Brady was a great idea, he wins a Super Bowl. The Patriots, under Cam Newton – because they don’t have a plan – were a trainwreck offensively.”

“They have a good 2021. They bounce back tremendously, with McDaniels doing a great job of orchestrating things with [Mac] Jones. [Josh] McDaniels leaves, again, no plan for replacement.”

“All those guys they spent $172 million on in guaranteed money in 2022, are so bad, and the decision to have [Matt] Patricia and [Joe] Judge running the offense caused a massive regression and dysfunction. They were one of the worst teams in the league coach-wise, in terms of penalties and situational football and that just shouldn’t happen.”

“So Kraft has pointed out, and I’m babbling here, a number of times, ‘I’m anxious, I want results,’ and he’s not getting them. And I wonder if Belichick had already passed [Don] Shula, or wasn’t even within hailing distance of Shula, if we would really have this kind of a hand-wringing ‘What do you do about Bill?’ conversation. Because it’s not just last year. It goes back to the midway point of 2019.”

Kraft Walking Back Comments?

Curran also talked about the fact that Kraft has been vocal in his desire to see the team get back to being a playoff contender, which would seemingly insinuate that he’s not happy with where things are at.

However, he also pointed out that Kraft has since started walking back those comments ahead of this season, referring to the difficulty the team faces schedule-wise.

“Kraft has already started walking back the demand for a playoff win,” said Curran. “You can sense it in him saying, ‘I expect us to be a good team, but our schedule is something else.’ So last year, he indicated, ‘it’s been three years since we won a playoff game. I expect to win one now this year.’ They didn’t come close to doing that.”

“So now, you’re looking at a situation where you would expect Kraft to ratchet that up. He’s kind of walking it back explaining how difficult the schedule is.”

It certainly won’t be easy. The Patriots open the season with two home games against Philadelphia and the Dolphins, followed by two straight road games against the Jets (with Aaron Rodgers) and Cowboys all on deck to begin the first four weeks of the season.

How that stretch unfolds will potentially be key as from there, New England then faces the Saints at home, a trip to Las Vegas, and then the Bills at Gillette Stadium, followed by a trip to Miami for what would be their final game of October.

So by November, we’ll probably know whether they’ve taken a step forward, or if they have their work cut out for them.

How They Look in 2023 Will Be Critical

Curran also went on to say that it likely won’t be their final record that potentially decides Belichick’s future. It will likely instead be based on how the team looks out on the field, and he believes it clearly needs to be much better than what we saw last season.

“You can’t be situationally stupid. You can’t have a quarterback who is so disgusted on a regular basis that he’s gesturing toward the sideline in disgust,” said Curran. “You can’t seem as if you have no clue. You can’t be one of the worst teams in the red zone or on third down. All of those things can’t happen.”

“If you improve and you’re in the top 10, and you’re losing games where you just get outplayed instead of lateralling over your head with the game on the line, he’s got a better shot, even if the team finishes 8-9.”

“But if they look disorganized, disfunctional and the discipline is out the window? Then they might say, ‘That was a great run, but can you go upstairs and just watch Jerod [Mayo] coach next year?”
That's really helpful, and surprising. It does feel a little revisionist, that as early as 2019, RKK could have stuck with Tom. Regardless, because I don't want to go down the T vs B rabbit hole, 2023 is clearly what matters at this point. If it's a continued chitshow, Bill will be asked to retire, and he should.

Curran is a disciple of TB12. He also has trouble speaking clearly with Brady Sr.'s **** in his mouth.

I'll take Curran's opinion with a Volin-sized mound of salt.

I love them all. I love BB. He’s a winner and despite the crybabies on this site, has likely squeezed so many wins when he had no business to that fans forget how tough it is to have a bad coach.

Despite his fiery attitude - which might be doomed to fail - I also love BOB. He wants to win, he isn’t afraid of the star players, and he’s been successful at several stops, including college.

I love Mayo. The very essence of what the Patriots have valued for years : talent, effort, smarts, great teammate. As a coach, he seems well respected by his players and teams around the league.

“All those guys they spent $172 million on in guaranteed money in 2022, are so bad..."

That free agent explosion in 2021 includes: Judon, Van Noy, Godchaux, Henry, Smith, Agholor, Mills, James White, Lawrence Guy, Mills, Folk, Bourne, Deatrich Wise, Ted Karras, Henry Anderson, Montravious Adams, Cam Newton, Carl Davis, Justin Bethel, Cody Davis, Raekwon MacMillan, David Andrews!
Two of the big names didn't work out, Agholor and Smith, and a big part of that falls on the OC choices.

Considering this seems to be the designated catch-all BB/TB thread...

Tom Curran: And I wonder if Belichick had already passed [Don] Shula, or wasn’t even within hailing distance of Shula, if we would really have this kind of a hand-wringing ‘What do you do about Bill?’ conversation. Because it’s not just last year. It goes back to the midway point of 2019.”
Since 2019? It's reasonable to consider if not for 2018 would Belichick be gone already. 2015 was a brutal season for him. The historic comeback in SB 51 overshadowed it (but really that may have been Brady's finest season). Then SB 52 happened with the perplexing Malcolm situation. From 2019 forward the team has been collapsing late in the season (8-15 in December and January). The debacle of Cam Newton. The unmitigated disaster with Patricia last season. Dynasty abruptly ending with no playoff wins in 4 years. Only one of two head coaches 70+ years of age. Reads like a hot seat résumé.

Tom Curran: “You talk about avoiding the hotseat, Rich, he’s on the hotseat and he’s been there at different levels of warmth since 2019,” said Curran. “Look at it this way. In 2019, Tom Brady wanted a 2-year, $50 million guaranteed contract just like Drew Brees had. He presumed he was going to get that. In training camp, it still was not forthcoming. He’s like, ‘You know what? If I don’t get this thing, I’m walking out.’ It was explained to Belichick that was the case. They got something done.”

Curran has repeated this many times now. Is it accurate? Yes, as far as I know. I mean it's what he got in Tampa Bay so that seems very unlikely to be a coincidence. There's been a lot of discussion about Brady's departure from the team... it's pretty clear from Curran that Brady asked for this specific contract and it was denied and replaced with an unacceptable counter that directly led to the split after the 2019 season. So they pushed him out the door seems like the correct characterization here.

Just so on brand for Curran: a headline spoken with great authority, supported by weasely words and citations of unnamed sources. It may be true but smells like ******** which is what he has been putting out there for the past 10 years since he stopped being a journalist and became a TV personally.

Even if is is 100% true, does it even matter?

And F Don Shula for eternity

I'm not so sure. Isn't this "the what have you done lately" league?
It is for the team your on. Other desperate teams looking for a coach are big on name recognition, and his would obviously be significant.

Shula was winning playoff games and getting to the playoffs in the end. This is more like Landry.
No. Coach Landry was a crash landing.

In the 10 years after the 85 NEP pounded MIA in the AFCCG the Fins missed the playoffs 6 times, went 3-4 and averaged 9-7. And that's with a HoF QB. Thats mediocre.

BB dances circles around Shula in every way however if you want to say BB has been a mediocre coach since Tom left, the numbers back you up.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back