PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unless the Patriots have other assets to trade, the Cooks deal has sealed Garoppolo's fate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
With the acquisition of Cooks from the Saints, the Patriots have (at this time) no draft capital in the first two rounds.

The Pats don't pick til 72 in 3rd round and have just 2 picks in first 117 selections.

Meanwhile, the Browns have EIGHT picks within the first two rounds between this year and next year

And with the surplus of draft picks the Browns have, this basically means Jimmy G. is as good as gone.....and honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Last edited:
It does feel like the Cooks move was made with a Jimmy move in mind. It just doesn't seem possible for BB to go into the draft with such little capital, especially in a draft that seems stocked with good talent.

It does feel like the Cooks move was made with a Jimmy move in mind. It just doesn't seem possible for BB to go into the draft with such little capital, especially in a draft that seems stocked with good talent.
Jimmy and Malcolm are gone.

They should rent the Mayflower van together.

We will see. I hope we get more picks somehow. At this point I am very hesitant to trade Butler. I just feel like the Pats are in such a good position to win it all right now with him. If he leaves that does hurt our chances a fair amount.

Losing JAG barely hurts our odds this year (not at all if Brady stays healthy). So I would be more inclined to do that this year.

I just feel like if you trade Butler and don't win you might feel like you had the chance to win #6 and let it slip through your fingers.

I've been debating the whole is Belichick going all in and retiring with TB12 or is he setting up the team for the post-Brady potential handover to Garoppolo era.

This argument is based on a false premise. Whether you draft a player with a pick, or trade that pick for a player, you are still getting a player. I don't think Belichick is thinking that players must come from trades or must come from the draft. Plus, established players are probably worth more than the crapshoot the draft really is.

Why must the Patriots trade players for more draft picks if they use that draft capital to get players in other ways (i.e. trade)?

Jimmy won't be traded, if Brady gets hurt then all these moves will be a waste meaning we would be a Brady injury away from having a tanked season no way in hell is BB is doing all this with JB in mind as taking over if Brady gets hurt, with JG we still have high chance to win a SB with the '17 roster

I've been debating the whole is Belichick going all in and retiring with TB12 or is he setting up the team for the post-Brady potential handover to Garoppolo era.
It does feel different and kinda weird, doesn't it? Right now it feels "all in" which is so counter to what he does... and if he does trade Jimmy then it's truly that. I mean, I don't know how else you'd classify trading a first for Cooks when you're already keeping all your receivers from a SB winning team, getting Gronk back, and the only guy you lost was a TE who you replaced with someone that's still pretty good. Feels very "all in" to me.

And with the surplus of draft picks the Browns have, this basically means Jimmy G. is as good as gone..

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm saying that this is BB. When you look at what's been done, one could make the argument that BB is laying the foundation for trading Brady, not JAG.

Bottom line: We can guess, but he throws enough curve balls that guessing is all it will be.

Jimmy G will be here for at least one more year. My own theory is that Jacoby isn't quite up to snuff yet to be a reliable backup. Maybe his thumb injury isn't healing quite right yet. Who knows? But I have yet to be convinced that this team needs to trade Jimmy G. It is still loaded with talent, and having him as a reliable backup is a damned good position to be in.

Yes, there is a way to get more picks.....

Trade Malcolm Butler!:eek::oops:

Sadly, I think this is more likely than jimmy getting traded.
Butler will get traded to Saints for their #11th pick.

So, patriots get back a 1st rounder that is near top 10.

Our CBs will be Gilmore and Rowe. But would still need a slot CB to replace Ryan. Maybe Cyrus.

IMO.

Cooks is 23 ...... some draft picks this year will be 23

As for jimmy who knows now.....but maybe the pats don't like the top of this years draft

Sadly, I think this is more likely than jimmy getting traded.
Butler will get traded to Saints for their #11th pick.

So, patriots get back a 1st rounder that is near top 10.

Our CBs will be Gilmore and Rowe. But would still need a slot CB to replace Ryan. Maybe Cyrus.

IMO.

Or maybe everyone stays and we get Hightower back and buttfuk everyone on the way to 19-0

It does feel different and kinda weird, doesn't it? Right now it feels "all in" which is so counter to what he does... and if he does trade Jimmy then it's truly that. I mean, I don't know how else you'd classify trading a first for Cooks when you're already keeping all your receivers from a SB winning team, getting Gronk back, and the only guy you lost was a TE who you replaced with someone that's still pretty good. Feels very "all in" to me.

It's not an "all in" in the true sense of selling all out for a one year run.

They are getting stronger, faster and younger with what they are doing.

Look, going into this, we all,knew he had 60mm to spend..

This is a Blast......

As a point of reference, the pats did not get much out of the 1st 2 rounds last year

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes