PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyquan Thornton

What's all this good WR drafting won them? I really don't get the fixation with Steeler WRs. Other than AB it's an overrated group and we all know ABs a douche too.
Dont get me wrong they still draft WR way better than us but big whoop if they don't win.
That's the point.
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Pats probably should have picked Pickens, or Pierce instead of Thornton, that's how I felt on draft day and Thornton really hasn't shown much to move me off that spot. When he was drafted I also expected him to be our 5th or 6th WR this year but then take a more prominent role next year. So while I haven't been impressed thus far, I wasn't expecting much from him anyway. I hope that he is able to contribute more to end the season and he continues to improve into his second year.

Regardless of how Thornton turns out, I hope they continue to spend high value picks on the WR position every year until they have the offensive weapons needed to succeed in the league today.

Pats probably should have picked Pickens, or Pierce instead of Thornton, that's how I felt on draft day and Thornton really hasn't shown much to move me off that spot. When he was drafted I also expected him to be our 5th or 6th WR this year but then take a more prominent role next year. So while I haven't been impressed thus far, I wasn't expecting much from him anyway. I hope that he is able to contribute more to end the season and he continues to improve into his second year.

Regardless of how Thornton turns out, I hope they continue to spend high value picks on the WR position every year until they have the offensive weapons needed to succeed in the league today.
That's the hope knowing we have to suffer with the Jekl/hyde Agholor.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What's all this good WR drafting won them? I really don't get the fixation with Steeler WRs. Other than AB it's an overrated group and we all know ABs a douche too.
Dont get me wrong they still draft WR way better than us but big whoop if they don't win.
They also draft 3x as many WRs than us.

They also aren't afraid to send their good WRs packing: Claypool, Diontae Johnson, Smith-Schuster, Antonio Brown.

It's a long list. I figure with the current salaries for the top guys at $20m a year, Pittsburgh will continue to expend a high number of draft choices on guys, even though they have a 60% bust rate even for Pittsburgh, so that they can cycle new guys in.

Pickens is the kind of guy who will leave Pittsburgh when Pickett develops enough (3 years?) for them to contend.

This argument that it is just quantity when drafting good receivers for the Steelers is foolish. Since 2015 they have taken 6 receivers in the first 3 rounds of the draft. All of them except Sammie Coates are good to very good receivers. Even some of their relatively recent "misses" in the draft have had careers that are light years better than Dobson, or Harry. Both Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton were taken later than Dobson and Harry and were significantly better players. I don't know about you but I will take a Sammie Coates and Limas Sweed if it means I am getting Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Chase Claypool, Santonio Holmes, etc.

I would rather get up to the plate 25 times and bat .500 with a grand slam and a few home runs than get up to the plate 4 times and strikeout badly all three appearances.

We had the greatest QB on planet for 2 decades and that masked the drafting deficiencies to a great deal .

But we cannot be having so many misses on WR when most of the premier WR talent is homegrown or Costs upwards of 20 million.

Rookie wide receivers are having great success these days , so it shouldn't be hard to find some. When the lone success that we have in the last 5 years is Meyers who is a UDFA and we got lucky , that states a lot about our scouting and possibly coaching .

Steelers are Mile's ahead of us in wr talent.

We just seem to be like Andy Daltons Bengals and last 3 seasons looked eerily similar to middling NFL team with 8-10 team that either gets knocked off from playoffs contention or knocked off in postseason in first round .

This year we got lucky jets had Wilson , otherwise our record would have been much worse and possibly be starting at a top 5 or top 10 draft pick.

Last edited:
This argument that it is just quantity when drafting good receivers for the Steelers is foolish. Since 2015 they have taken 6 receivers in the first 3 rounds of the draft. All of them except Sammie Coates are good to very good receivers. Even some of their relatively recent "misses" in the draft have had careers that are light years better than Dobson, or Harry. Both Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton were taken later than Dobson and Harry and were significantly better players. I don't know about you but I will take a Sammie Coates and Limas Sweed if it means I am getting Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace, Chase Claypool, Santonio Holmes, etc.

I would rather get up to the plate 25 times and bat .500 with a grand slam and a few home runs than get up to the plate 4 times and strikeout badly all three appearances.
I can't believe we didn't make a move at the deadline for Chase Claypool still on a Rookie contract.

Guys, it's just a fact. Curse, or BB's system problems... WHICHEVER WR we draft will have all the tools and appearances, but will ALWAYS end up barely used and dropping off the map while ANY OTHER WR picked by any other team will look like immediate stars.

I can't believe we didn't make a move at the deadline for Chase Claypool still on a Rookie contract.
Allegedly we did but they didn't want to trade him to us. Sounds like it was a similar situation to the AB trade a few years ago.

Some Pats posters think because the Steeler missed on a few based on how often they draft them their miss rate is equal to their success rate. That couldn't be further from the truth they could move on from a guy like Claypool because they just drafted my Binkie George Pickens what could have been.:rolleyes:

I'm not ready to write off Thornton yet. With all the issues this offense is having it isn't a surprise that he isn't clicking yet. Outside of Meyers none of the pass catchers have been consistent this year so it isn't surprising a rookie who missed half the season is having a rough time as well.

It's facts. Not an argument. Markus Wheaton who you cite as being much better than Harry had 110 receptions in his entire 6 year career. So I'm not seeing this as much better based on the numbers. N'Keal has 2 1/2 years to catch 50 balls which would beat Wheaton's numbers.

Here are the facts:

In the last 10 years, the Steelers have taken 8 players in the 1st 3 rounds.

The Patriots have taken 3.

Worse, in the years between Dobson and Harry, we didn't take a single receiver in the 1st 3 rounds. 2011 to 2019, we only took Dobson. That's it. ONE RECEIVER.

Last edited:
Allegedly we did but they didn't want to trade him to us. Sounds like it was a similar situation to the AB trade a few years ago.
Ok that's good to know.

It's facts. Not an argument. Some of those WRs who you cite as being much better than Harry have the same numbers as Harry and they were off the Steelers, just like Harry is off the Patriots.
What is a fact? If you count receivers taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft by the Patriots and the Steelers their hit percentage is lightyears better than ours.

I'm not ready to write off Thornton yet. With all the issues this offense is having it isn't a surprise that he isn't clicking yet. Outside of Meyers none of the pass catchers have been consistent this year so it isn't surprising a rookie who missed half the season is having a rough time as well.
We have a few more games left it wouldn't take much to supplant Agholor or Bourne: I have seen Rookies make some sort of impact. That beautiful pass that Mac connected with Parker could have been to T Thornton who has the skill set to get behind the Defense.

What is a fact? If you count receivers taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft by the Patriots and the Steelers their hit percentage is lightyears better than ours.
You ain't telling me but the homers would come with their rebuttals. :rolleyes:

I never said they didn't have a higher hit percentage.

I said they pick a ton more WRs. They pick 2.7x as many WRs than we do.

In fact, if we hit on Tyquan, our pick % would shoot up to 33% from 0%. That's how few we pick.

League wide, it's at 33%, with the Steelers doing much better at 50%.

Since we're talking about the Steelers, however, are you sure they didn't want Tyquan instead of Pickens?

Because 2 things make me think they were looking at Tyquan: #1. Belichick jumped them to grab Tyquan, and normally he doesn't do that unless he has good intel. #2. One of the Steelers assistant coaches is the guy who first developed Tyquan at Baylor.

On a side note this topic was resurrected couple of days back and mainstream Boston media has 3-4 Articles on Thornton starting from yesterday . Huge content inspiration board !!

Why are the Steelers better at drafting WR's than the Pats? I had some time to kill and I'm tired of hearing about of hearing this debate, so here you go:

Since 2000, the Steelers have drafted 25 WR's to the Pats 18 (I eliminated Slater). Yes, Edelman counts.
60% of the Steelers picks to WR's have been in rounds 1-3 to 44% of the Patriots. That comes out to 15 players from rounds 1-3 for the Steelers to 8 from the Pats. That's almost twice as many picks in rounds 1-3 for the Steelers.
Out of 23 drafts, 82% of their drafts the Steelers took at least one WR to the Pats 60%.
When the Steelers drafted a WR, they averaged taking 1.32 per draft to the Pats 1.29.
The average round when the Steelers took a WR was 4.89 to the Pats 5.35.

So there you have it, this is why the Steelers have had more success than the Pats - the Steelers just try harder. On the flip side, the Steelers have drafted quite of few of DB's since 2000 and they haven't hit on ONE aside from Polamalu.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back