PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyquan Thornton

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Tyquan Thornton’s game speed actually looks faster than his 40 time which is scary

The offense has needed an explosive fast athlete for years and I think we found one folks.

Our other wide receivers are good role players but none of them can do what Thornton can.

Thornton is going to be used like how San Fran uses Deebo.

I will admit I wasn't high on Patricia coming in but his play calling to get the ball into Thornton's hands was nice to see. Any way to get someone that fast into space is a positive.

Mac deep to TT.

Get the popcorn ready.

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

He definitely passes the 'eye test'.

I think back to Edelman and Amendola when they were both regarded along the same lines in 2013/2014. Amedola was a slot receiver who could get open and had reliable hands, but he couldn't elude tacklers the way that Edelman could. Edelman passed 'the eye test' where it looked like the defenders were trying to catch a wet, slippery fish.

It's still very early, but Thornton is showing some flashes of that.

The guy is quick, no doubt about it... He has good hands... Was really impressed by his ability to create space, especially on that TD catch of his...

This is a perfect example:

For durability issues mentioned above, I don't think they do that a lot. But having to defend it will loosen some other things up. The D will have to assign their fastest person to spy on him. Even if they don't complete the handoff, he can still turn it into a go route.

Long overdue I don't think Cleveland's Defense saw him on that end around. I thought that kid who Green Bay Drafted Christian Watson played at another gear in College. But Thornton's game speed just wows you: he's good. The New England WR scouting finally got one right: don't know what went in their decision formula this time around I like it.

I watched a lot of TT at Baylor. I thought he looked like a cross between the Twig and the Dog Faker. Lightning speed, great instincts, good hands, and startling short area quickness. I never expected the Pats to take him. He's going to be awesome.

This is a perfect example:

I was a pinch surprised that Rham still had the fastest speed as a ball carrier for the Pats during the Browns game (19.96mph per NextGen). I decided to do some analysis, and found that TT reached top speed at about the 10 yd line at around 20mph (prob just a hair under Rham) then shut it down. Incredible that he got to that speed a little over 10yds after turning hard down the field. Based on a poopload of specific factors, I can see him reaching top 10 maybe top 5 all time speeds as a ball carrier (stats only going back to 2016).

For the love of the Universe, please stay healthy.

EDIT: As a point of reference, DMcCourty is in the top 25 for all times since the start of 2016.

Last edited:

I think this play shows what is really exciting about him, he can get off the line of scrimmage with great releases, and with his speed that's dangerous. You saw it on his TD catch too, he smoked the CB at the snap and that's it with his speed, the play is over at that point - it's just whether the QB gets him the ball. Lazar pointed out a couple of times last week too he was open deep...that long TD isn't far away!

How difficult is it to hit a speed receiver in motion like Tyquan? Just wondering if that speed makes throwing it to where the receiver doesn't have to slow down or turn is difficult. If so, it'll be an interesting situation to watch with the QB's as they work him in more.

In my opinion he needs to gain a lot of weight or we're going to see him on IR too often.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back