PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyquan Thornton already turning heads in the film room

What in the world are you talking about? Early in the day to be drunk dude.
By all means name all the players who failed here because they couldn’t figure out which route to choose based upon how they are being covered.
Or is this just a “you know” that receivers who never played here would have struggled even thought you can’t name any that did? Do you even understand how the patriots passing game works?
You think you are smarter than EVERYONE ELSE Andy.
That's the problem with you.
You ARE smart, but NOT SMARTER than everyone else.
See ya.

Joey Galloway, Tory Holt, Reggie Wayne, who were OBVIOUSLY Past their prime(And STUDS ELSEWHERE), either didn't get it, or figured it was too much work at that stage of their careers.

I NEVER SAID it wasn't a good thing Andy, I'm just hoping for more hits is all.
Everyone has a habit of talking about the studs we DIDN'T DRAFT, how do THEY KNOW that the guys could grasp the EP Offense?
They don't, could AJ/Deebo/Mclaurin etc take off in this offense? IDK, Does anyone else?
Oh, you mean guys who were done and did absolutely nothing anywhere else either? That’s because they couldn’t understand the system? Then why didn’t they go to a different team?

Your second point is that a random player wouldn’t have grasped it despite really having no evidence any player didn’t grasp it?

The system won 6 SBs and had a top passing offense for many years. Giving the receiver an option to run the most effective route against the coverage he sees HELPS HIM PLAY BETTER than just telling him to run into coverage regardless.
Would you think a QB would be better if you tell him to throw to a certain route regardless of what the defense does?

You think you are smarter than EVERYONE ELSE Andy.
That's the problem with you.
You ARE smart, but NOT SMARTER than everyone else.
See ya.
I am stating my opinion. You, interpreting it are telling me I’m smarter than everyone else. Not me. You.

I stated that your claim has no examples.
You cried like a bltch and gave none.
No wonder you think everyone is smarter than you.

Why? He CONTINUES to try and make the rest of us his *****, because he thinks he is smarter than us, and he IS Smart, but NOONE KNOWS EVERYTHING, and I tire of it, it's been going on for ~15 years...
Chill? Seriously bruh, WTF have YOU been the last 15 years?

Bah
Let’s recap.
You made a statement that I disagree with.
I stated that I disagreed citing that there are no legitimate examples to back up your claim.
You gave no examples and cried about me.

Why? He CONTINUES to try and make the rest of us his *****, because he thinks he is smarter than us, and he IS Smart, but NOONE KNOWS EVERYTHING, and I tire of it, it's been going on for ~15 years...
Chill? Seriously bruh, WTF have YOU been the last 15 years?

Bah
Ok then calm the **** down you are acting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. If you can't act like a grown up go elsewhere and post.

Jules agility was world class.

Watch the routes in the video linked earlier in the thread. Now watch them again at 0.75 speed - he still looks like a fast and agile receiver going full speed.

Thornton’s not going to be running Edelman routes. His route tree will be mostly fade/post/corner with an occasional slant or comeback route to keep defenses honest. He’ll be used to challenge the defense vertically.

If you want short area quickness, check out Wilkerson’s agility drills. For his size he is extraordinarily slippery.

When I watched the "Highlight" films, Thorton ran Digs, Slants, Posts, Corners, Fades. I didn't see outs, comebacks, curls, or flats. The main reason, I believe, is that the latter 4 require him to either start flat-footed or force him to stop or leave him very little room to maneuver.

Ok then calm the **** down you are acting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. If you can't act like a grown up go elsewhere and post.
I'm not lying, so you don't like the presentation? Go eat somewhere else.

Are we winning the offseason ... the Jete playbook ...their modus operandi :whistle:
the media hates the draft... the pundit sites all devalue our roster... talking heads rip the team... the coaches are a mess... the Brady stans continue to rip BB every chance they get...

so that would be a no... we arent winning the offseason

I'm not lying, so you don't like the presentation? Go eat somewhere else.
Whether or not you disagree with Andy, completely loosing your **** over him and throwing a monkey fit certainly isn't worth it, and adds nothing to the board, so calm the **** down.

Regarding the route argument, Evan Lazar speculates the Pats could simplify the route tree for the WR’s to reduce the “thinking”.

Ted Johnson echoed the same thing defensively. He said there’s too many new guys to throw around multiple fronts and coverage. And he also wants to see Bill cut out the musical chairs of substitutions.

Regarding the route argument, Evan Lazar speculates the Pats could simplify the route tree for the WR’s to reduce the “thinking”.

Ted Johnson echoed the same thing defensively. He said there’s too many new guys to throw around multiple fronts and coverage. And he also wants to see Bill cut out the musical chairs of substitutions.
These are things that improve a team. Thinking is not a negative, thinking puts you in a position to succeed. “Run a 12 yard out regardless of how you are covered” is not better football than “change the route to an in if you are being covered differently”.
Playing different fronts to disguise what you are doing and changing up coverage helps a defense perform better than doing the same thing on every play.
Substitutions put players on the field in the situations they are best in.
Making players be dummies doesn’t win more games.

These are things that improve a team. Thinking is not a negative, thinking puts you in a position to succeed. “Run a 12 yard out regardless of how you are covered” is not better football than “change the route to an in if you are being covered differently”.
Playing different fronts to disguise what you are doing and changing up coverage helps a defense perform better than doing the same thing on every play.
Substitutions put players on the field in the situations they are best in.
Making players be dummies doesn’t win more games.
You are arguing with a guy who not only was a top LB at one time, but played on the best D of the BB era - so he kind of knows what it takes.

But feel free to tell Ted Johnson how it should be.

You are arguing with a guy who not only was a top LB at one time, but played on the best D of the BB era - so he kind of knows what it takes.

I am not agreeing with Ring6, but being a top LB and playing on defense has nothing to do with the mental acumen to strategize a successful defense nor the inherent creativity to invent and implement different strategies. Playing and strategizing are completely different skill sets.

I am not agreeing with Ring6, but being a top LB and playing on defense has nothing to do with the mental acumen to strategize a successful defense nor the inherent creativity to invent and implement different strategies. Playing and strategizing are completely different skill sets.
All he was saying is that for Bill not throw a bunch of stuff at these new guys at once as they may overthink things and play slower. He mentioned his team’s were able to run complicated schemes well because they were veterans who had been on the team for a long time.

Oh, and he also said to not put guys in coverage who can’t cover as that was unusual for Bill. He said Bill protected him as Johnson said he was horrible in coverage and would’ve been out of the league if that was his only job. McGinest used to complain about the times he went in coverage because he was bad at that as well.

So anything Ted Johnson says is correct?
You should check his track record. You should also think for yourself.

All he was saying is that for Bill not throw a bunch of stuff at these new guys at once as they may overthink things and play slower. He mentioned his team’s were able to run complicated schemes well because they were veterans who had been on the team for a long time.

Oh, and he also said to not put guys in coverage who can’t cover as that was unusual for Bill. He said Bill protected him as Johnson said he was horrible in coverage and would’ve been out of the league if that was his only job. McGinest used to complain about the times he went in coverage because he was bad at that as well.

Let's hope that the guys have a little bit of knowledge since they are 2nd and 3rd year players. I think BB knows how to coach to the level of knowledge of his players. We will see - seems like we hear this "hot take" every year - the defense and offense are too complicated.

I think the idea of "simplifying" the offense has been a bit overplayed this offseason. We've heard some comments that kinda sorta maybe sound like they're doing that, but honestly, I think what's really happening is a streamlining of the procedure, rather than a simplification of the offense. As I've said in threads about McDaniels and the new offensive coaching setup, they're going to be replacing a 10+ year OC with multiple guys divvying up his responsibilities. The more links in a chain you have, the more points where a failure can break that chain. So streamlining the offense and making sure the communication of those links is airtight is probably smart. That CAN include simplifying the offense itself to make it easier to teach/evaluate, but it doesn't have to mean that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back