PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trey Flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from him not being very effective, wouldn't shock me if he’s been scratched due to what he did in Pittsburgh giving up on a play. There was a replay showing Samuels running past him and he looked like he was barely jogging after him. This was definitely a Steve Martin esque signing.

Yikes Steve Martin:eek: you going way back Rain thought I would never hear that name again.:D

good ball player who's not worth breaking the bank for

The time to get Flowers re-signed has already passed. The Pats should have come to him with an offer like they did Shaq, up his salary for this year, in hopes that he takes the "bird in the hand" approach. Now that he is set to hit free agency, there will be no hometown discount.

What makes you think they didn't contact his agent who then rightfully told them to **** off because going into FA will bring a lot more money.

I think it's true that if they really want the player and the player wants to play here, they can come up with a number. They have for a number of players who signed long term contracts, Seymour's second contract, Hightower, Vollmer, Wilfork etc.

They won't offer a competitive contract if they aren't confident about a player.

Smart players take into account the organization, comfort etc. Some players are only interested in breaking the bank,but they generally aren't players Pats are interested in. Seymour actually got a top contract, but they chased him because they thought he was superior, always played hard and played hurt.

His next contract he was older and they had some sour relations.

I’m very annoyed with this assumption. The whole “guy will cost a lot of money, so the Pats won’t resign him” rhetoric is getting old.

Maybe Bill finds high value in the type of player that Flowers is? He’s a complete defensive end who does everything well, and also shows up strong in the postseason.

Pass rushers in the past who lived up to this expectation (Willie, Vrabel, Nink) lasted here a long time.

Agree. If they think a player is solid on character and as a player they will pursue him. If he shows up babbling and crying at the police station,like Chandler, they aren't risking that big money.

I think one things a lot of fans forget is that they care a lot more about game outcomes than a lot of players do. Sure, the players want to win and get upset when they don't, but ultimately it's a job. I could absolutely believe one could have a much higher quality of life (and have more money) playing for a players' coach and going 8-8 year after year than playing for less for a hardass like Belichick.

If that's what you consider a quality life. There's no doubt the Patriots look for players who care about football and care deeply about winning.

You mentioned 3 players who didn’t cost much. That’s why they were here for a long time.

I will eat crow if the Pats sign him to a deal that most people believe he will get ($15M per year).

It will be very interesting to see what Trey Flowers gets in the open market.

McGinest was a 4th overall pick. His salaries were quite substantial for the time.You're right that they found players with pass rush ability who were tweeners We assume because we see him every week that other teams are drooling over our 4th round pick who actually has modest sack totals. They might not. There are plenty of DEs with better sack totals than Flowers and that's all some teams see.

Perspective. When I googled Flowers draft position It wasn't until the very bottom of page two that Trey Flowers was mentioned. Two full pages of NFL players named Flowers that weren't Trey. Something to think about.

What makes you think they didn't contact his agent who then rightfully told them to **** off because going into FA will bring a lot more money.
With Neil Cornrich as Flowers' agent, there does exist a close relationship with BB which can only help negotiations.

Bret Bielema's presence with Patriots adds SEC perspective for draft

Cornrich is Kirk Ferentz's and Bielema's agent but was also AVs (which he fired) and Stephen Neal's.

I expect healthy, open and honest negotiations but not a penny of a discount given to either side.

Good point. When I was in SE Asia last year there were a lot of mud farmers telling me they were so glad they weren't making millions of dollars playing for a loser NFL team.

Imagine if they could make 8 million dollars a year and still enjoy farming mud.

With Neil Cornrich as Flowers' agent, there does exist a close relationship with BB which can only help negotiations.

Bret Bielema's presence with Patriots adds SEC perspective for draft

Cornrich is Kirk Ferentz's and Bielema's agent but was also AVs (which he fired) and Stephen Neal's.

I expect healthy, open and honest negotiations but not a penny of a discount given to either side.

I tend to believe that,out of all their young players, they would want to sign a long term contract with Flowers.I could be wrong.

The Patriots might well pay him. Of the 23.7M of incentives they were planning on potentially paying out, only 4.35M were hit on. Assuming they are feeling generous and give out a few incentives just to make guys happy (lets say they bump it up to 8.7M), that is 15M more in cap space then they were expecting going into next year is it not?

That alone could pay for Flowers. When the consider the Patriots probably won't be interested in paying Gronk or D. McCourty at 12M and 13.5M respectively next year, that will save up a lot of money too. I hope they keep both and with a restructure. It may not turn out that way though. If push comes to shove I think you need to cut them if they won't budge. It just isn't getting good value for your money and you could use it better in free agency.

The Pats are set to have A LOT of free money next year. They need to spend it somewhere don't they? As long as they don't need to spend more than 15M a year for Flowers they might keep him.

Last edited:
Jets and colts have ton of money to spend and big need for pass rushers.

Is the difference between Pats offering 5 years at $60 Mil and a less successful team offering 5 at $75 Mil worth suffering through 3-13 seasons like Chandler Jones does? Seriously what does that extra 15 million buy that you couldn't afford with $60 million.

If it was his second big contract I might agree with that. This will be his first big contract. He doesn't know if he will be able to get another one after this. What if an injury happens?

If I was in his situation I wouldn't take a 15M discount. This may be his one and only chance to set his family up for the rest of his life. When you look at 60M it looks like a lot. But put yourself in his place. First come the state and federal taxes, then the agent fees, then everything needs to pay for to keep up his physical ability not to mention the toll this will take on his body and the help he will need later in life.

Now you are down to maybe 30M. Cut that between himself, his wife, his kids, his parents, his siblings, and future grand kids, maybe cousins he would like to help out. Suddenly you realize it isn't as much as you hoped.

I'm not saying he can't take a discount but we need to be realistic about the amount. Whatever the market says he is worth he would be a fool to take much less in his first big contract. Maybe 5% is the maximum discount we can expect.

I tend to believe that,out of all their young players, they would want to sign a long term contract with Flowers.I could be wrong.

IMO Trey Flowers is the most important player on this defense.

If Gilly gets hurt its a blow, but the have enough talent in the secondary to get by.

Flowers leaves/walks..........they are allowing 28 a game easy.

Flowers’ case might in to the tale of two inverse phenomenons associated with the Pats success over the years.

On one hand, the BB/TB run has created an allure to veteran players who want to come in as free agents and make one last push at a ring. These guys have already seen their second/bigger contract. An opportunity to compete for a SB win becomes of heightened importance after chasing it for so long. This is obviously nice to have in the back pocket during free agency negotiations.

On the other end is what happens in the case of guys who begin their career on the team and have already won a ring or two earlier on in their career. Having already checked off SB win in their rookie contracts, something many guys fail to ever grasp, they then are drawn to the appeal of money and security vs. team success. Yeah..some players take a hometown discount to stay put, but that isn’t ever a given. Pats also don’t have the benefit that some other good but not great teams have when it comes to player perception and being the “missing piece”. Players drafted by teams that knock on the door of Super Bowl titles can feel like there’s unfinished business, which in turn might make them pass up a few extra million in favor of staying put to seal the deal.

Anyways.. Flowers seems like one of those high caliber guys worth holding, even if it means shuffling things around elsewhere. He’s been mentioned as a Pro Bowl (and even All-Pro) snub, so hopefully that does the Pats favors in preventing his value from ballooning completely out of reach.

Last edited:
The Patriots might well pay him. Of the 23.7M of incentives they were planning on potentially paying out, only 4.35M were hit on. Assuming they are feeling generous and give out a few incentives just to make guys happy (lets say they bump it up to 8.7M), that is 15M more in cap space then they were expecting going into next year is it not?

That alone could pay for Flowers. When the consider the Patriots probably won't be interested in paying Gronk or D. McCourty at 12M and 13.5M respectively next year, that will save up a lot of money too. I hope they keep both and with a restructure. It may not turn out that way though. If push comes to shove I think you need to cut them if they won't budge. It just isn't getting good value for your money and you could use it better in free agency.

The Pats are set to have A LOT of free money next year. They need to spend it somewhere don't they? As long as they don't need to spend more than 15M a year for Flowers they might keep him.
Yeah, I don’t know, man. Miguel is always on top of this stuff and even with Brady’s LTBE incentives being credited on next year’s cap, he had us projected with around 18m as of yesterday.

I’m pretty sure that if we were set to gain an extra 20m dollars, people would be talking about it.

Pay him! If we had another quality D lineman he would have had 10+ sacks this season. He’s a force on the edge both vs pass and run, and when he kicks inside he still gets pressure. Flowers is ridiculously underrated!
I hope we pay him too. He's such a technician and eventually will out leverage you. One of the most versatile on the LOS d-lineman in the game today. Hopefully his low sack numbers fools the stupid teams so his demand is lower.

I didn't care that we traded Chandler Jones since he was mostly a one trick pony. Flowers is versatile and so good. I'll be bummed if we lose him but happy for him.

There's not another passrusher/defensive end that I would have taken over Trey Flowers in that 2015 NFL draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand