PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Williams interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's driving me crazy. They can't afford Williams. Not even with a TB12 extension.

If Wynn is still not ready, I can see them making a deal for a more cost-effective veteran.

But but Deus says we can have all 3 players....:rolleyes:

You can get Williams, but have to include Marcus Cannon in any deal. Unfortunately, I think the dead cap number for him is quite large at 7 million.

You do the deal if you can fit him in this year, and yes, Wynn becomes the ultra swing tackle and backup guard, and there's nothing wrong with a second year player coming off a major injury filling that role. Then after this season, if Wynn is ready to start, they could deal Williams or Cannon, or, if they like both those guys....trade Wynn for a haul.

If they can afford Williams, do it. Helps the team immensely this year and doesn't hamstring them for future years.

But but Deus says we can have all 3 players....:rolleyes:

You can get Williams, but have to include Marcus Cannon in any deal. Unfortunately, I think the dead cap number for him is quite large at 7 million.
They would need to unload and additional ~$8-$10m as the team would still want some midseason flexibility to add more talent to the roster.

I don't see Cannon going anywhere next year. Based on his restructure 2020 should be his last year here.

Well, if true, their corrections don’t seem to be working out, because all reports state that he’s pretty much sucked so far. With Wynn being carefully managed and Croston being an injured cut, they had to find someone for the job. I believe that it would almost definitely be Thuney if this situation were occurring during the actual season.

Yea thus far the observations are less than glowing on The Skipper.

Given what he's done so far in the League, the simple fact that he's being given this much attention in camp means that he's exceeded expectations. He's clearly not ready for prime time as a LT; he's a project. How fast he develops is to be seen. There's simply a much too small sample size to know that at this point. He's had up moments and down moments. So has everyone else in camp.

Given what he's done so far in the League, the simple fact that he's being given this much attention in camp means that he's exceeded expectations. He's clearly not ready for prime time as a LT; he's a project. How fast he develops is to be seen. There's simply a much too small sample size to know that at this point. He's had up moments and down moments. So has everyone else in camp.
BB said it yesterday. He's been here all off-season. He's worked hard. He's earned the shot to compete for a job. Let's not sugar-coat his performance thus far as what he has done is not enough to nail down a roster spot

The Redskins are probably the most poorly run organization in the League, rivaled only by the Jets. There's no knowing what emotional impulse they'd act on with this situation.

The Pats are so deep at CB, RB, and LB that we are all wondering which good player gets cut. Right now, they are poor at OT, TE, and WR (pending injury recoveries),all offensive positions. So do they use some of that relative wealth at those three positions to improve the wealth at OT? It would instantly make a weakness into a strength. Wouldn't be crazy to do so. The money needs to be figured out, of course.

Williams may want more money, but Washington is such an awful place to play, he might be willing to move to the Pats even up. Hell to Heaven overnight might be worth dropping the desire for a raise. Who knows?

BB said it yesterday. He's been here all off-season. He's worked hard. He's earned the shot to compete for a job. Let's not sugar-coat his performance this far as what he has done this far is not enough to nail down a roster spot

True. And that's the expectations for him: marginal roster spot competitor. He's not the 2019 answer to the weakness at LT other than as an emergency fill in. With Wynn out, he's getting a lot of Scar attention, but that doesn't indicate anything other than they think he has an upside with time.

Yes. His cap number was very low.

I’m talking in terms of compensation trading a 1 for a wr, not the actual cap number of the player.

True. And that's the expectations for him: marginal roster spot competitor. He's not the 2019 answer to the weakness at LT other than as an emergency fill in. With Wynn out, he's getting a lot of Scar attention, but that doesn't indicate anything other than they think he has an upside with time.
I would agree. I think they think he has some potential. How much not sure

Well they got a 1 back so it wasn’t really a lot of compensation was it?

Like I said in a previous post, they sold him high as well getting a 1 back. I was all for bringing cooks in and thought he played well for us.

Like I said in a previous post, they sold him high as well getting a 1 back. I was all for bringing cooks in and thought he played well for us.
No one would disagree with that but he wouldn’t be an example of paying heavily for a player.

Mccourty makes zero plays and frees up 10m or so. I think belichick wants to cut him and needs an excuse.

I’m sorry but are you ****ing stupid? Devin is one of the smartest players we have and his intelligence shows up. He makes sure everyone’s in position and understands what they need to do. Just look at him in the Super Bowl when he plays robber coverage against the 7 Blockers and nearly gets a pick. He’s a smart guy, I’d be shocked if he would be let go.

Well, if true, their corrections don’t seem to be working out, because all reports state that he’s pretty much sucked so far. With Wynn being carefully managed and Croston being an injured cut, they had to find someone for the job. I believe that it would almost definitely be Thuney if this situation were occurring during the actual season.

Well, both Wynn and Skipper need time for different reasons. Wynn needs to recover fully from his injury and Skipper needs to learn to the point where he isn't thinking, just reacting. As many others have mentioned, not seeing where the cap space is coming form to get Trent Williams.

There is interest but no realistic path for Williams to NE.

Well, both Wynn and Skipper need time for different reasons. Wynn needs to recover fully from his injury and Skipper needs to learn to the point where he isn't thinking, just reacting. As many others have mentioned, not seeing where the cap space is coming form to get Trent Williams.
Unless Donta Hightower is taking a paycut or restructured deal slash extension.
I don't think they would move any of Mccourty Hightower White. Cannon
So unless master cap manipulation goes down I too don't see where the money would come from.
Where Howie Rosemond when you need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back