PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Trent Brown trade to Pats

and well worth i
Well, I guess well worth it to a team other than the patriots
Being the highest bidder is not a gauge of being a good organization.

I sold Bwamo door to door when I was in college...got a lot of worn out shoes and constant door whamos until I discovered the counter at Slamo's Sub Shop

2768548_0.jpg

Love it.

Move Wynn to LG
Cut Cannon
Resign Andrews for 7-9m per
Recoup a 3rd for Thuney (if we sign 1 or 2 top FA that wont matter)

Herron as top T backup at RT. Wynn can slide to LT if needed. Cajuste/Cunningham (one of them) as rotational/insurance guys. We need 2 IOL (bring a vet for min + late round pick)

We are set.

It's a classic BB trade. Rather than pay Thuney a top of the market deal, he gets someone who is a cheaper alternative to keep a solid line going forward and have that extra money to spend elsewhere, maybe use it to keep andrews.

As good as Thuney is, I feel some team is going to regret paying him all that money just like solder, or trent brown himself.

Just a thought. With the increase in cap coming. Very little committed to 22 and 23. Why not do the Thuney dance? I mean we all think he's going to be very good/good for 2 to 3 years more time. Why not try to bring him back and get that deal. I genuinely think theres enough wiggle room here to bring in 2 to 3 difference makers on each side of the ball and keep Thuney.

Onwenu played guard in back to back weeks in at the start of the season.

Week 3 vs. Raiders - LG

0 sacks, 0 hits, 1 hurry, highest graded OL in the NFL (PFF)

Week 4 @ Chiefs - RG

0 sacks, 0 hits, 0 hurries, 2nd highest graded OL in the NFL (PFF)

Pats had 435 rushing yards in those two games at 6 YPC.

He could be a dominant guard as opposed to a very good tackle.

???
Are you assuming that we are re-signing Thuney, Andrews and Eluemunor? If not, thre is little competition unless we sign more OL's.
Just getting back into getting up to date on everything.
I did know Andrews was a FA and would like to see him resigned. Did not know Eluemunor was a FA but hopefully he can be resigned also since there is not much money to be spent league wide because of the cap reduction. Can possibly get them both for a decent rate. Thuney will be payed by someone and we need money for too may areas. If we had Brown, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Eluemunor and most of them having position flexibility I would consider that line under good assets. Thanks for the info. Just started getting back into it and you guys are always ontop of everything which is greatly appreciatd

I don’t know who is playing where once the season starts. Training camp will sort that out. All I know is we have a bunch of good assets on the OLine. Now build up the Dline and the trenches will be solid. Building a team around the trenches is an old but good strategy
the OLine is very versatile now with a number of players that can play both T and G.

A good reminder that Brown's cap hit is almost definitely not the full $11 million. A sizable portion of that, Volin thinks maybe more than half, will be NLTBE.

the OLine is very versatile now with a number of players that can play both T and
the OLine is very versatile now with a number of players that can play both T and G.
Huge plus. I feel secure with that lineup. Next figure out the QB situation (most glaring need) and then build the DLine next. With so many needs to be filled get a QB and build the trenches and then of course we need a TE and WR's. Not sure when the money starts to dry up but that is the order I would rebuild.

Week 3 vs. Raiders - LG

Week 4 @ Chiefs - RG

That is the thing, you have BB coming out and more or less openly saying that they see Owenu as a guard with upside to help out as tackle, you have the entire Pats beat repeating the same thing and yet some people just still go with their idiotic "he is too small" argument over what Wynn has shown when healthy. The hate on Wynn and this notion that he should be moved to guard has been absolutely silly.

First, Thuney is gone. I don't know why we are even discussing this. If the Pats were going to keep him, they would be in discussions now with him. From every report I have seen, that doesn't seem to be the case. Once he hits the illegal tampering phase in a few days (if not now) he is likely to get a break the bank deal with another team.

Second, the Pats may have cap room, but they have a lot holes to fill beyond the o-line. If they trade for Jimmy Garoppolo, they will lose close to a third of their cap space without renegotiating with him. They need WRs and TEs and good WRs and TEs take up a lot of cap space. They need to fix the holes on the d-line and LBer. I don't see them paying Thuney top dollar as a priority.

Third, I don't see Thuney at center. He is a top guard in this league. Why would they pay him top dollar and try to move him to center? Do we even know he can properly snap the ball (see Damien Woody who was a great guard who went to center and could snap a shotgun snap for the life of him).

First - You have no idea if Thuney is gone or not.
Second - You're incorrect on what they would lose for Cap Room for Garappolo since they could EASILY push $12M into next year. Based on a $205M cap number (before adjustments) the Pats would have about $80M in cap space.
Third - We do know Thuney can properly snap the ball in the shotgun. He did it this year during the Raiders game. Thuney has been the emergency center for the last few years and has seen game snaps there.

I am guessing Thuney would have to paid as the top paid guard to be the Pats' center. And that would make him the top paid center by quite a bit.

Andrews is likely to get paid well. But he won't get top of the market. He is a very good center.

The top paid Center currently is Ryan Kelly. His APY is 12.4M. So, it's not really "quite a bit" if he was paid at $14M.

Andrews isn't likely to get paid as well as people think. He's not in the top 10 in the league for centers. He's above average to good, but not VG imho.

My bad. I was using Over the Cap that breaks up the guards between right and left guards as two different categories.
Over the Cap is the better source to use. That's per Miguel.

I was thinking LT for first pick, now with Brown, QB or NT/DT are the only natural options left.
Except there aren't any worth that high of a pick in this draft from what I've been reading.

Also, they could invest in a WR or a LB. I know one draft expert here who would pretty happy if it was Kwity Paye who was drafted.

Week 3 vs. Raiders - LG

Week 4 @ Chiefs - RG

The Raiders game had Thuney at Center making the line calls.

That is the thing, you have BB coming out and more or less openly saying that they see Owenu as a guard with upside to help out as tackle, you have the entire Pats beat repeating the same thing and yet some people just still go with their idiotic "he is too small" argument over what Wynn has shown when healthy. The hate on Wynn and this notion that he should be moved to guard has been absolutely silly.
I don't understand it. In a league full of great offensive linemen he's got top 15 potential. I really don't get it. Never any problems in college. Can't prepare for an Achilles. Last year got rolled up on by a defender. You can't plan for that stuff. **** happens. Nice guy, really good player but gets no love here.

First - You have no idea if Thuney is gone or not.
Second - You're incorrect on what they would lose for Cap Room for Garappolo since they could EASILY push $12M into next year. Based on a $205M cap number (before adjustments) the Pats would have about $80M in cap space.
Third - We do know Thuney can properly snap the ball in the shotgun. He did it this year during the Raiders game. Thuney has been the emergency center for the last few years and has seen game snaps there.
I mean we kind of have an idea he will be gone

I mean we kind of have an idea he will be gone
I don't think there's been any doubt. Hell, he would've been gone last year if not for the tag.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back