PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Training Camp Day 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both AB and Sanu gave up on routes in 2019 and didn't get blackballed, rewatch the Dolphins game, AB does exactly what got Meyers benched by coach Brady. Sanu did it later on as well, it was some diva muscle flexing by the QB to get his way.

I understand to some Tom walks on water and never does anything wrong, but remember after AB threatened a single mother and her children Tom was adamant the team shouldn't cut AB... he's not always right or perfect.

In this case working with Meyers and Gunner early in the season would have been a better course of action then pretending Josh Gordon wasn't washed up, Maurice Harris was a good idea, Dontrelle Inman could finally stay healthy and they probably should have kept Demaryious Thomas in hindsight.

In 2020 we may find any of the 2019 rookies ^ (N'Keal, Gunner, Jakobi) would have been better than those guys. By the time they were thrust into the starting lineup Tom wasn't practicing because of his shoulder. Sanu was traded for and Gunner got the Foxboro flu to make room for him, Sanu was ill suited for punt return work and got hurt doing it. The 2019 rookies didn't suck, they never had a real chance.
Yeah we just disagree 100% here.

I think he hasn't practiced and/or taken many snaps during 11-11/7-7 drills yet, likely due to an injury...unspecified of course...He's basically Hightower's successor; damn shame he hasn't been able to do more to prepare himself for that eventual role so far...
agreed, especially considering how depleted the lb corps is this year

I remember Pennel saying that he thought the Patriots would give him time to become acclimated and get into fake shape.
Said he was shocked he was cut.
thats a guy who didn't "get it"

There's nothing to disagree with, I'm giving a timeline of events with facts, not an opinion.
No you are giving inaccurate opinions. We disagree 100%.

The fact that he got blown off the ball by rookies who ended up working at UPS in the preseason tells me it wasn’t a coach trying to not keep the best players.
I had high hopes for pennel and he was abysmal in his preseason play, against scrubs. He earned being cut on the field.
It may not be a coach trying to not keep the best players, but rather a coach who doesn’t know how to get the most out of his players. Pennel played well in KC. Bielema clashed with many guys here and the D line was not effective. Pats let him leave in a lateral move with the Giants. May have been a case where BB decided while he liked him personally and respected his football knowledge, he didn’t think he was the best coach and they agreed to part ways.

I think he hasn't practiced and/or taken many snaps during 11-11/7-7 drills yet, likely due to an injury...unspecified of course...He's basically Hightower's successor; damn shame he hasn't been able to do more to prepare himself for that eventual role so far...
Jennings is definitely not Hightower successor. Jennings is winovichs successor as winovich succeeds van noy. Hightower will be replaced by a combination of Bentley, uche and Copeland who will also combine to fill Collins reps.
The “hightower” role won’t exist this year because it was his role based upon his skills. They would never ask another player to do everything Hightower does.

It may not be a coach trying to not keep the best players, but rather a coach who doesn’t know how to get the most out of his players. Pennel played well in KC. Bielema clashed with many guys here and the D line was not effective. Pats let him leave in a lateral move with the Giants. May have been a case where BB decided while he liked him personally and respected his football knowledge, he didn’t think he was the best coach and they agreed to part ways.
Pennel was a backup playing a small percentage of snaps in KC. His play justified his cut, no conspiracy theory needed. Guy Shelton and Butler were clearly better options in a 3 man rotation.

No you are giving inaccurate opinions. We disagree 100%.
Again, I gave a timeline of actual events that occurred in the real world. Nothing I stated was opinion.

Pennel was a backup playing a small percentage of snaps in KC. His play justified his cut, no conspiracy theory needed. Guy Shelton and Butler were clearly better options in a 3 man rotation.
The Chiefs completely rebuilt their defense in a year's time, new coach, new players. Also they continued to add players like Mike Pennel and Morris Claiborne in-season, they got better as the season went on, stayed healthy.

Pennel nailed Jimmy G as he threw it on that final INT, he helped solidify the Chiefs rush defense from October on. TEAM game. You strike me as the type that likes to make declarative statements that aren't backed up by facts or stats.

This was a heated practice. (from Howe)
  • Newton also let the defense hear it plenty of times when the offense made some key plays. He was especially fired up after a couple full-field periods capped with touchdown throws – first to Burkhead when Cody Davis appeared to miss a coverage and then to Harry for a score on a fade over J.C. Jackson. On the other way down the field, Newton hit a slanting Harry for another touchdown against Jackson, and the quarterback was giving it to the secondary much of the way back down the field. The fun-spirited trash talk was especially entertaining between Newton and Jason McCourty.
  • Edelman was feisty at practice. He wouldn’t let up on Bryant after the corner converged on him over the middle following a catch. Edelman’s trash talk continued for two practice periods. And when Harry almost got into it with Michael Jackson, Edelman turned his attention toward Jackson. For their part, Bryant and Jackson didn’t seem to bite and stayed on their game.

Sanu was likely an uncharecteristic knee jerk move ...a swing for the fences (like AB and keeping Gordon). No knock on Sanu.. I think hes a fine role player and if we can make the deal team friendly even better.

To be fair they tried multiple times -- as recently as last year's offseason -- to trade for Sanu. Given that context I wouldn't call him a knee jerk move.

I said it yesterday already but I honestly think people are overthinking the entire Sanu situation.

Edelman is 34 years old and odds are he will be limited in some of the games this year. If something more serious happens to him does anyone seriously think BB wants to go into a game with Harry, Gunner, Byrd and Meyers as their WRs ?

Additionally we have now repeatedly read that Sanu is part of a group of players (Harry, Edelman, Sanu, White) who does additional QB work. This is the kinda stuff where you can read between the lines and assume he is close to a lock.

Yes, a player with zero deadcap hit and a 6.5m cap hit always warrants keeping an eye on but in this case I think it is more because of the Pats' leverage of reducing the cap hit in exchange for some guarantees or maybe even a relatively cheap extension.

I feel like people keep thinking of 6.5m as if the cap is still around 120m and its 2011. At this point in time you get your Cole Beasleys or Breshard Perrimans for that amount of money.

If you don't think everything is sunshine and rainbows at all times then you're a bad fan bro.

Just pointing out the facts will trigger a Homeboy.

No more excuses like bad Chinese food. Harry needs to produce this season. 900 yards and 5 TDs is not much to ask when other 2019 WR draft picks blew up last season. Time to take the diaper off.

I said it yesterday already but I honestly think people are overthinking the entire Sanu situation.

Edelman is 34 years old and odds are he will be limited in some of the games this year. If something more serious happens to him does anyone seriously think BB wants to go into a game with Harry, Gunner, Byrd and Meyers as their WRs ?

Additionally we have now repeatedly read that Sanu is part of a group of players (Harry, Edelman, Sanu, White) who does additional QB work. This is the kinda stuff where you can read between the lines and assume he is close to a lock.

Yes, a player with zero deadcap hit and a 6.5m cap hit always warrants keeping an eye on but in this case I think it is more because of the Pats' leverage of reducing the cap hit in exchange for some guarantees or maybe even a relatively cheap extension.

I feel like people keep thinking of 6.5m as if the cap is still around 120m and its 2011. At this point in time you get your Cole Beasleys or Breshard Perrimans for that amount of money.

This is exactly the same argument used last year for keeping Hoyer.

"If something serious happens to Brady does anyone seriously think BB wants to go into a season with an unproven rookie as the backup?"

"Additionally BB knows what to expect from him, and we have now repeatedly read how important Hoyer is to running the scout team."

6.5 is a ton for a #3/4 WR even in this era on a BB team.

We don't have the benefit of preseason which always offered hints on what Bill was doing. And of course no one on this board knows for sure. But we've been here before. Recently.

To be fair they tried multiple times -- as recently as last year's offseason -- to trade for Sanu. Given that context I wouldn't call him a knee jerk move.

I am aware that he was on their radar, speaking to them finally agreeing on the price tag. A 2nd was rich and I dont think they'd cough it up if it wasn't for the scenario I described. Maybe knee jerk wasn't the right word...they were cornered sorta. Wanted the player ..needed a receiver who could contribute asap and given their situation Atlanta capitalized.

Sanu will likey be on the roster. I am not a fan of his game, but he can be a relatively reliable guy who can also return punts.....I'd rather see meyers and one of the speed guys.

Agreed its not about price tag. Still, his contract, production & coming back from offseason surgery don't make him a lock. Then there is TC competition. Then there is new offense fit. Then there are possible market opportunities & needs elsewhere. Even if he makes the 53 its no lock he will be playing winter football in NE..

thats a guy who didn't "get it"

Unfortunately, he ended up getting a ring, after Derrick Henry (& others before him) ran up & down the field against us...

Agreed its not about price tag. Still, his contract, production & coming back from offseason surgery don't make him a lock. Then there is TC competition. Then there is new offense fit. Then there are possible market opportunities & needs elsewhere. Even if he makes the 53 its no lock he will be playing winter football in NE..

I think it's almost completely about the price tag.

If Sanu was here on a veteran minimum he would be a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back