PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training Camp - Around The League ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wentz could be toast by mid-season. Peter's is still an effective & versatile run blocker but has lost a lot in pass pro. He really can't keep up with the big dogs snap to snap anywhere. It's not even week 1 and they're in big trouble.

***knock on wood*** we've been extremely lucky so far.

The rookie receivers: We'll lump Jalen Reagor, John Hightower, and Quez Watkins together:

1. Reagor is an athletic freak who can take the top off a defense, or catch shorter passes and get yards after the catch. His speed and jumping ability have been on full display early on. If you were an alien and you landed on the Eagles' practice field, having no idea who anybody was, you could pretty easily identify Reagor as having superior physical ability above the other players on the field.
  2. Hightower has been a slippery route-runner who has done a really nice job catching the football.
  3. Watkins' hands haven't been as good as Hightower's, but he has been targeted a lot, and has shown off his impressive speed.

Reagor is going to start from Day 1. To be determined if the other two guys can get on the field, but they're off to encouraging starts.

Last edited:
Anyone here keeping their ear to the pavement with the Chiefs training camp? How are things looking? Did all of them miraculously morph into mediocrity?

Please?

Wentz could be toast by mid-season. Peter's is still an effective & versatile run blocker but has lost a lot in pass pro. He really can't keep up with the big dogs snap to snap anywhere. It's not even week 1 and they're in big trouble.

***knock on wood*** we've been extremely lucky so far.

The rookie receivers: We'll lump Jalen Reagor, John Hightower, and Quez Watkins together:

1. Reagor is an athletic freak who can take the top off a defense, or catch shorter passes and get yards after the catch. His speed and jumping ability have been on full display early on. If you were an alien and you landed on the Eagles' practice field, having no idea who anybody was, you could pretty easily identify Reagor as having superior physical ability above the other players on the field.
  2. Hightower has been a slippery route-runner who has done a really nice job catching the football.
  3. Watkins' hands haven't been as good as Hightower's, but he has been targeted a lot, and has shown off his impressive speed.

Reagor is going to start from Day 1. To be determined if the other two guys can get on the field, but they're off to encouraging starts.

I say this a lot, but many teams just draft WRs in bunches.

We keep harping on Belichick's busts, but the fact is, his hit rate is not all that bad. It's exactly like the other teams's. The truth is, we just don't spend draft picks on WRs like the rest of the league.

If I count Mitchell, Branch, Givens as draft wins, against the losses like Boyce, Jackson, Dobson, and many others, we're at a 30% hit rate. Which is normal. Like the teams stocked with WRs. The trouble is, they draft 3 WRs in one draft, or 6 over the span of 4 years, while we do 1 every 3 or 4 years.

I say this a lot, but many teams just draft WRs in bunches.

We keep harping on Belichick's busts, but the fact is, his hit rate is not all that bad. It's exactly like the other teams's. The truth is, we just don't spend draft picks on WRs like the rest of the league.

If I count Mitchell, Branch, Givens as draft wins, against the losses like Boyce, Jackson, Dobson, and many others, we're at a 30% hit rate. Which is normal. Like the teams stocked with WRs. The trouble is, they draft 3 WRs in one draft, or 6 over the span of 4 years, while we do 1 every 3 or 4 years.

Yep, the exercise of averaging out how much other teams are investing into WR relative to the Pats has been done everytime someone brings up that "Steelers are so good at drafting WR" narrative.

Yes, they had better individual outcomes but also invested considerably more resources. Might as well complain how the Jags ended up drafting so many more all-pro players than we did in the last 8 years when both teams pick in the first round (when the NFL doesnt steal them).

Last edited:
This year’s rookie WR class seems like it could be monumental. Good thing the Pats are already stacked at that position.

<insert bricks emoji here>

I've been sick as a dog since Monday. Think food poisoning but I thought the pats did something like this but just tapped defenders hands so they couldn't grab/hold. Could be another team I didn't look it up.
Yeah I think I remember the taping of the hands thing during one of the TCs ...and what you described reads like how I felt in Aruba starting the afternoon after the PO loss to the Titties ... lasted through Tuesday ... 3 days of free food & drink down the drain, literally ...

Yeah I think I remember the taping of the hands thing during one of the TCs ...and what you described reads like how I felt in Aruba starting the afternoon after the PO loss to the Titties ... lasted through Tuesday ... 3 days of free food & drink down the drain, literally ...
Idk I'm almost positive we did something like before.

Luckily feeling better. I need to get checked out though. I'm a typical guy and will wait til I'm on my death bed.

This is brutal. Either way it doesn't look like he's making an impact before Thanksgiving imo. All this after Jason Verrett. He was an extremely talented CB from 2014 that couldn't get healthy. He was special.

Unbelievably brutal cycle of training, rehab, injuries.

Last edited:
Reagor "probably out 4-5 weeks".

Phila is catching 0 breaks. JJAW has looked good according to different people but they needed Reagor. That dude could be their real WR1 this year.

This is brutal. Either way it doesn't look like he's making an impact before Thanksgiving imo. All this after Jason Verrett. He was an extremely talented CB from 2014 that couldn't get healthy. He was special.

Another year on IR for James.

Yeah, sooo the Chargers need to fire their current & next two strength & conditioning coaches lol. This is beyond absurd..

He's in as good a spot as anyone, CEH, included. Remember last year when Ingram got dinged up? JKD is really the perfect fit there. Powerful inside runner who has the vision & contact balance to cut back. Speed to kick it outside. Great complement to Jackson's elusiveness. Juke you, east/west before blasting through with 4.4 speed. They should be fun to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes