PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade value for our WRs? Who - to where - and for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football debate is what goes on here, really? Darn, I must have signed up years ago and still not figured that out. oh well, you've missed my point anyway...

Football debate is what goes on here, really? Darn, I must have signed up years ago and still not figured that out.

oh well, you've missed my point anyway...

I think you might be guilty of what you accuse others of, seeing as I said a little bit more than just mentioning football debate.

Just to be absolutely clear - I addressed your point by noting that when members insult the views of others as delusional, there's some understandable backlash.

I also noted that even in responding to an insulting viewpoint - not so much Spacecrime's view that there is NO trade value among our WRs, or that last year's starting WRs are the equivilent of a backup QB who never got any playing time - but that everyone who doesn't agree with him is delusional

Also, I noted that in spite of pushing back against such an insult, that many posters, like DaBruinz, did contibute some very worthwhile football knowledge.

That was my point, in case you missed it.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Seriously folks, look over the history of trades when there's a need on a team - why we ourselves have given up a 2nd round draft choice for a #3 WR and a CB who will remain nameless. If there's a need or injury elsewhere in the NFL I think we can get more than a 6th round draft choice for a player who could assume #3 or #2 WR duties on another team.

I'd think some GMs might be eager to see what he could do with significant training camp time and a full season. I'll assume you are ignoring the fact that Gaffney came to the team late, didn't have the benefit of a pre-season and clearly was just hitting his stride in the playoffs. Most GMs don't miss those things though.

I know we are in the tail end of the doldrums, but pre camp this thread is based on a foolish premise to begin with, about which you asked folks for their opinion which you got but didn't agree with.

IMO Belichick isn't trading any of them before the end of the pre season. The ones he finally decides to keep will be mostly sitting in week 4 of the pre season. The one's he's willing to part with will be on the field all afternoon hoping they are still competing for a 6th WR or ST slot. When that game is over they will have pretty limited trade value based on the fact that BB is about to cut them. And the fact that other teams rosters are either set or they realize any guy they attempt to insert on their roster at that juncture is basically auditioning on the fly for whatever vacancy or need they may have having already washed out as a back of the roster guy here. That was Gaffney last year when a team perennially hard up for WR's decided to cut him - he had no trade value. Even with a team as desperate as our own NEP sitting there. We already had Gabriel to try to integrate into the offense absent off season and TC. And we were looking for a potential #1 or #2 at least, which Gabriel potentially presented as albeit a disgruntled one on a dynfunctional team, not roster depth. We didn't bother to even glance in Gaffney's direction until Gabriel himself washed out in mid season and we were beyond desperate and entering our Tom can hit any street FA in a pinch mode.

Spare second, third or fourth WR with track records in those positions may remain intrigueing and have some minimal residual trade value the end of August. But here guys with that will likely become our fourth, fifth and probably sixth WR's heading into the season. Bill isn't parting with them if they represent more value to him on the roster as quality depth than they do as late day 2 draft picks next March. If Jackson goes on PUP we'll only really have 7 guys and some PS players vying for 6 potential WR spots BARRING INJURY. Belichick will give them all the full span of camp and the preseason to make their case as backups or say end of the roster guys here over say Vinny Testaverde, and if they fail they won't have much if any trade value. Sure a team like Tennessee has needs, but it's for viable starters they could pair up with Young to build rapore over the off season (which is when we traded for that CB and Welker) in the continued absence of a guy like Givens. It's not for cross your fingers 11th hour fill in targets to plug an unforseen hole for an established QB on a contender.

Now there may be a contender like that with a need similar to ours last season. But if there is it's likely that is where that player would gravitate to when cut and it's likely that team would offer him significantly more compensation along with playing time upside to lure him in rather than surrender a draft pick just to save a few bucks in a cap flush environment.

And while it's always tempting to defend those who agree with our points, there are insults, like space painting those he disagrees with with a broad brush as delusional, and then there is what DB does, which is totally uncalled for because he consistently rachets up the insults and quickly makes it personal. It remains his achilles heel on this board.

I know we are in the tail end of the doldrums, but pre camp this thread is based on a foolish premise to begin with, about which you asked folks for their opinion which you got but didn't agree with.

IMO Belichick isn't trading any of them before the end of the pre season. The ones he finally decides to keep will be mostly sitting in week 4 of the pre season. The one's he's willing to part with will be on the field all afternoon hoping they are still competing for a 6th WR or ST slot. When that game is over they will have pretty limited trade value based on the fact that BB is about to cut them. And the fact that other teams rosters are either set or they realize any guy they attempt to insert on their roster at that juncture is basically auditioning on the fly for whatever vacancy or need they may have having already washed out as a back of the roster guy here. That was Gaffney last year when a team perennially hard up for WR's decided to cut him - he had no trade value. Even with a team as desperate as our own NEP sitting there. We already had Gabriel to try to integrate into the offense absent off season and TC. And we were looking for a potential #1 or #2 at least, which Gabriel potentially presented as albeit a disgruntled one on a dynfunctional team, not roster depth. We didn't bother to even glance in Gaffney's direction until Gabriel himself washed out in mid season and we were beyond desperate and entering our Tom can hit any street FA in a pinch mode.

Spare second, third or fourth WR with track records in those positions may remain intrigueing and have some minimal residual trade value the end of August. But here guys with that will likely become our fourth, fifth and probably sixth WR's heading into the season. Bill isn't parting with them if they represent more value to him on the roster as quality depth than they do as late day 2 draft picks next March. If Jackson goes on PUP we'll only really have 7 guys and some PS players vying for 6 potential WR spots BARRING INJURY. Belichick will give them all the full span of camp and the preseason to make their case as backups or say end of the roster guys here over say Vinny Testaverde, and if they fail they won't have much if any trade value. Sure a team like Tennessee has needs, but it's for viable starters they could pair up with Young to build rapore over the off season (which is when we traded for that CB and Welker) in the continued absence of a guy like Givens. It's not for cross your fingers 11th hour fill in targets to plug an unforseen hole for an established QB on a contender.

Now there may be a contender like that with a need similar to ours last season. But if there is it's likely that is where that player would gravitate to when cut and it's likely that team would offer him significantly more compensation along with playing time upside to lure him in rather than surrender a draft pick just to save a few bucks in a cap flush environment.

And while it's always tempting to defend those who agree with our points, there are insults, like space painting those he disagrees with with a broad brush as delusional, and then there is what DB does, which is totally uncalled for because he consistently rachets up the insults and quickly makes it personal. It remains his achilles heel on this board.

I'm not sure who was suggesting that we needed to trade guys before camp - it sure wasn't me... the best way to get the highest value is for guys to show what they can do in camp, and when injuries hit other camps, the value will be that much higher.

You're right I wasn't expecting a few members to label the trade value of what many are saying is one of the strongest and deepest WR corps in the league - as being worth nothing and any thoughts to the contrary as delusional. No questions that thoughts that a QB with nothing more than NFL Europe experience would garner a 4th round pick were delusional - but last I checked, most of our WRs on the bubble had actual and signficant NFL experience, making a comparison "delusional" for lack of a better choice of words.

Why is it that so many other teams have been able to trade their WRs for draft picks - but that ours have no value whatsoever? I'm just not understanding how anyone can seriously assert that Doug Gabriel was a tradeable commodity - but the notion that WRs on our bubble - Gaffney, Caldwell, Washington in particular - could have any trade value is "delusional"?

Caldwell IMO is a bonifide #2 WR on many teams - Gaffney could easilly be a #3. We traded a 2nd round pick for Welker - who I believe is much more talented than either of those players, but is still in the role of a #3 WR here - so I'm not expecting anything that high - yet I don't agree that Caldwell and Gaffney have no trade value.

There's a lot of time left before pre-season... and a lot can happen in terms of injuries, the quality of play, before our WR corps shakes itself into order... but given our depth at this position - and the lack of depth that other teams have, I don't agree its pre-mature for us to consider the possiblity that some of these guys, rather than being cut, could garnish a draft pick in trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back