PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up now or wait

One isn’t going to be available when we pick. I don’t want to trade 3 firsts either, but here we are. It’s either that, or you’re sorting through the Trask, Mond, Mills scrap heap.

Or building your team by getting better value for your picks.

We have 8 receivers on our roster at this time.

1.) edelman probably starts the year on IR.
2.) Bourne is probably the starter at the X receiver position.
3.) Meyers probably is the slot guy.
4.) agular I can not figure out where to put him.
5.) Harry has failed at every position.
6-8.) Wilkerson, zuber and smith have not contributed much,

we need a Z receiver. That is why we trade up for waddle!

We have 8 receivers on our roster at this time.

1.) edelman probably starts the year on IR.
2.) Bourne is probably the starter at the X receiver position.
3.) Meyers probably is the slot guy.
4.) agular I can not figure out where to put him.
5.) Harry has failed at every position.
6-8.) Wilkerson, zuber and smith have not contributed much,

we need a Z receiver. That is why we trade up for waddle!

What if Jones is falling?

Look at the butthurt blueberry boy attacking someone's character.
Not his character his football knowledge. But I see you haven’t changed

Not his character his football knowledge. But I see you haven’t changed

Such a hypocrite.

Netflix Iu GIF by The Swoon

What if Jones is falling?
Much as I really like Waddle, he’s not someone I’d trade up for. He’s just someone I’d take at 15 if he fell that far, and I would even take him over Jones. This would be contingent on targeting Garoppolo as the next guy either for this season or next. But I’d want to secure Waddle’s talents for the next 5 years at least as long as I’m not selling off extra draft picks for the privilege. Not when there’s so many great options likely to be had at 15.

Now if Waddle goes off the board at 7, and by this point Jones is the last of the top QB prospects remaining, then I’d consider trying to move up to make sure to get him before a team like Chicago swoops in and does. At this point I honestly don’t see Waddle or Jones falling to us at 15, both would require a trade up of some sort.

Assuming Jones makes it past Denver at 9, I’d see about making a deal with Joe Judge for the 11th pick. Maybe something like 15, 46, and next year’s 1st for 11 and then snag Jones. Still a big price but at least it’s not involving 3 first rounders.

Before the pro dates, many folks, include many posters here, considered Jones a marginal first rounder.

Then, Jones was though to possibly being available at 15.

Now Jones is rumored to be drafted somewhere between 3 and 10 (some have him at 11 or 12).

I'd say that the publicity has helped Jones a lot, and has been worth many, many millions to him and to his agent. Congrats to his agent and his college coach for working together to raise the value of Jones, especially by having two pro-days which extended the publicity and coverage.
Maybe. Or maybe not.

Before the pro dates, many folks, include many posters here, considered Jones a marginal first rounder.

Then, Jones was though to possibly being available at 15.

Now Jones is rumored to be drafted somewhere between 3 and 10 (some have him at 11 or 12).

I'd say that the publicity has helped Jones a lot, and has been worth many, many millions to him and to his agent. Congrats to his agent and his college coach for working together to raise the value of Jones, especially by having two pro-days which extended the publicity and coverage.
Peoples opinions of where someone will be drafted is not the same as them being drafted there.

if we wait I bet we can get a huge haul when a QB drops down to 15.

just think of 26 years of extra 6th round picks.

If BB thinks Lance can be the QBOTF, trade to 4 for him if he falls down imo. It's worth it. Cap will increase, we already have some impact players signed and BB is in a win now modus due to age. I don't think he takes several shots at late rd. qb's, where the success rate is lower

If Waddle and Jones are gone at 15, I think that BB trades down. It is almost certain that Mac Jones will go earlier than 15, probably at 3 to SF. If Jones somehow slips to 8 or 9, BB is not going to use next year's first to move up; it is just not going to happen, and I think that is the right decision. I really don't want to have the Patriots mortgage their future for an unproven player.

Unless Jones turns into the next Tom Brady, SF will be hurting for years to come...and even if he does, the team will have a bleak draft future. No thanks.

If Waddle and Jones are gone at 15, I think that BB trades down. It is almost certain that Mac Jones will go earlier than 15, probably at 3 to SF. If Jones somehow slips to 8 or 9, BB is not going to use next year's first to move up; it is just not going to happen, and I think that is the right decision. I really don't want to have the Patriots mortgage their future for an unproven player.

Unless Jones turns into the next Tom Brady, SF will be hurting for years to come...and even if he does, the team will have a bleak draft future. No thanks.
We have 10 picks in the draft and very few holes on the team. I don't think we will be trading down too much in the draft to gain extra picks this year. Perhaps to add some picks next year. Still more likely to trade up I believe. I have no idea which qb Bill likes, if any of them, and who he might be willing to trade up for. I would be very surprised if he drafts a wr in the first. My guess is much of what Bill does will be predicated on who is available at what spot. If the Jets don't draft a qb, the entire board will be thrown into a tizzy. Does Bill like Jones the most, or does he like one of the other qb's. If San Fran takes Jones, will the Pats move up to get one of the other qb's that is dropping or go for BPA? Pretty interesting to try and figure it all out.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back