PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade down with Steelers to screw over Jets

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
BB tries to screw over the jets any chance he gets and this move proves it!

I love it!

I don't know how much of it is truly intentional (I'm sure they have a good idea about it, and are hopeful things fall the way they did), but it IS interesting that the Jets get Aaron Rodgers, and the Patriots draft a highly touted edge rusher while also preventing the Jets from getting a tackle to help stop that edge rusher.

I don't know how much of it is truly intentional (I'm sure they have a good idea about it, and are hopeful things fall the way they did), but it IS interesting that the Jets get Aaron Rodgers, and the Patriots draft a highly touted edge rusher while also preventing the Jets from getting a tackle to help stop that edge rusher.

Agreed. Headlines to get clicks. Moving down 3 slots is not devastating. The Pats probably thought little of Broderick Jones and knew the Jets were not picking Gonzalez since they already have Sauce Gardner. Why not add a 4th?

It is not yet clear if this was the correct move by the Patriots. In moving down, they whiffed on my binky, Emanuel Forbes (CB), whom I thought was a mini-Sauce. Only time will tell if Forbes is better than Gonzalez. I am assume that Gonzo will be a scheme guy and that BB will try to match him up with big WRs and TEs, a role he may excel at. But those hands of Forbes and his speed, oh man....

I have a friend who’s a Jets fan go ape after that draft trade he went on a tirade.

I can share some of it .

I just want to take a moment to let you both know that the Patriots are the biggest ****suckers in organized sports, with Bill Belicheat being the chief ingester of said ****s. Really?!?!?!? Trading back just to f*** us out of our tackle???? All good homie. Prepare to have the wrath of God brought down on you this season. Can’t fu***** wait!!!! J. E. T. S. jets jets. JETS!!!!!!!!!

It got way worse after I said they reached on a D end after going into a panic.
I said how do you got from a legendary draft last season to worst draft on paper this season.

Meh, I think the tuck it to the Jete stuff is tabloid fodder. The easier the path to get to Rodgers the more of a minus for the Jete and a plus for everyone else. It makes decent football sense looked at in that light. To quote Michael Corleone "It's not personal, strictly business" Viewing it through some Machiavellian prism is for writers and fans. Do we really believe BB (or any GM) wouldn't weaken any division rival should an opportunity arise?

I have a friend who’s a Jets fan go ape after that draft trade he went on a tirade.

I can share some of it .

I just want to take a moment to let you both know that the Patriots are the biggest ****suckers in organized sports, with Bill Belicheat being the chief ingester of said ****s. Really?!?!?!? Trading back just to f*** us out of our tackle???? All good homie. Prepare to have the wrath of God brought down on you this season. Can’t fu***** wait!!!! J. E. T. S. jets jets. JETS!!!!!!!!!

It got way worse after I said they reached on a D end after going into a panic.
I said how do you got from a legendary draft last season to worst draft on paper this season.

Wait.. you've got a friend???
(jk couldn't help it)

It is not yet clear if this was the correct move by the Patriots. In moving down, they whiffed on my binky, Emanuel Forbes (CB), whom I thought was a mini-Sauce. Only time will tell if Forbes is better than Gonzalez. I am assume that Gonzo will be a scheme guy and that BB will try to match him up with big WRs and TEs, a role he may excel at. But those hands of Forbes and his speed, oh man....
If the Patriots had passed on LT Jones to take Forbes at 16, even if they had him rated higher than Gonzalez, imagine how heads would've exploded all over the NFL. Big reach, they'd say. This board would be having a field day on Belichick.

I do agree with you though that the Patriots had to have rated them similarly and in the Patriots eyes, there must be a question of which of the two is actually better.

I just want to take a moment to let you both know that the Patriots are the biggest ****suckers in organized sports, with Bill Belicheat being the chief ingester of said ****s. Really?!?!?!? Trading back just to f*** us out of our tackle????
To calm the waters, did you mention to your JESTs friend that NE's OT additions this offseason consist of two JAG tackles who were castoffs from teams looking to significantly upgrade?

BB tries to screw over the jets any chance he gets and this move proves it!

I love it!

I think it was more a matter of having confidence that - "We can trade down and still get the guy we want" (or they had more than one guy in mind.
Get the extra pick to trade up! But it didn't work out. Or trade into next year! But it didn't work out.
As it turned out, they got the kicker they want for a 6th.

Sure, there was probably a bit of stinging a team in the division, but I doubt it's this personal, or Machiavellian, as someone put it.
If there were two FA players exactly the same and you wanted one, and one was in the NFC, the other in a division rival, you take the one from the division rival.

Without reviewing the value calculations I immediately thought the 4th was low too. You're dealing with potential franchise players in the minds of teams in the middle of the 1st round.

Indeed. 4.35 40. Highly superior to Gonzalez's 4.38.

I think it was more a matter of having confidence that - "We can trade down and still get the guy we want" (or they had more than one guy in mind.
Get the extra pick to trade up! But it didn't work out. Or trade into next year! But it didn't work out.
As it turned out, they got the kicker they want for a 6th.

Sure, there was probably a bit of stinging a team in the division, but I doubt it's this personal, or Machiavellian, as someone put it.
If there were two FA players exactly the same and you wanted one, and one was in the NFC, the other in a division rival, you take the one from the division rival.
This is the Jets and Belichick. Of course it was personal.

We needed size and length in the secondary tho....

Without reviewing the value calculations I immediately thought the 4th was low too. You're dealing with potential franchise players in the minds of teams in the middle of the 1st round.

Yeah, but at that point...that probably was the only deal on the table and we liked 3-4 guys at #17. That 4th turned out to be an interior OL-man....

The part that stood out to me is than Forbes is 6'1 and 166lbs

He basically makes Tyquan Thornton look like Vince Wilfork :D

Yup. It would have been amusing to watch the two of then at practice--two spiders. Time will tell if the Patriots made the right move. I am guessing here, as usual, but I suspect that Forbes has better coverage skills with the smaller WRs than Gonzalez, but BB should be able to set up Gonzalez to only (mostly) be assigned to the larger WRs.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back