PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade down with Steelers to screw over Jets

so because Belichick is spiteful, he shortchanged his own team and took less value for the pick. Reports were that such a trade should've garnered a third rounder Glad to see Bill the GM has his priorities in order

Wasn't this already threaded?

It's ridiculous. The Jets landed Aaron Rodgers this off-season so I think they're pretty elated right now. Too little too late from Belichick with any draft day shenanigans. For whatever it's going to be worth, the Jets won the off-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in their decision. They wouldn't do it just to screw over the Jets, but if the Steelers came to them to move up and they knew they could get the player they are targeting and the Steelers would take the Jets' player it could be enough of an incentive to take the risk that there is a slight chance of missing out on the guy you want.

I have a friend who’s a Jets fan go ape after that draft trade he went on a tirade.

I can share some of it .

I just want to take a moment to let you both know that the Patriots are the biggest ****suckers in organized sports, with Bill Belicheat being the chief ingester of said ****s. Really?!?!?!? Trading back just to f*** us out of our tackle???? All good homie. Prepare to have the wrath of God brought down on you this season. Can’t fu***** wait!!!! J. E. T. S. jets jets. JETS!!!!!!!!!

It got way worse after I said they reached on a D end after going into a panic.
I said how do you got from a legendary draft last season to worst draft on paper this season.
It really got into the Jetes fans heads.

Next morning I heard Mitch, a caller into the Sirius XM NFL talk show, losing his **** over it. Mitch was ranting about he already knew how the season would turn out: Rodgers would be tearing it up, Jets doing well, and then he’d get injured because of poor pass protection without that OT Belichick screwed them out of.

it was epic. Truly a Grade A rant. I just love how BB owns condos inside their heads.

It really got into the Jetes fans heads.

Next morning I heard Mitch, a caller into the Sirius XM NFL talk show, losing his **** over it. Mitch was ranting about he already knew how the season would turn out: Rodgers would be tearing it up, Jets doing well, and then he’d get injured because of poor pass protection without that OT Belichick screwed them out of.

it was epic. Truly a Grade A rant. I just love how BB owns condos inside their heads.

I try not to upset him too much he goes off it’s the world against the Jets.

What’s great about it is Bill probably didn’t do it for this reason but the Jets fans are freaking out thinking he did. I was flipping channels the morning after the first round, I stopped on the Carton show, he is a Jets fan, he was going on and on about Bill is still screwing with the Jets after all theses years of owning them, then he said please could you finally just leave us alone. I was laughing my ass off.

I don’t think they did it to screw the Jets. I think the Steelers called and offered a 4th to move up 3 spots, Pats asked for a 3rd, Steelers said no, Pats probably caved and took the deal. The Pats probably had 5 players they were satisfied with, and they knew at least 2 of them would still be there. The Jet’s pick of McDonald probably upped that to 3 players.

It would’ve been interesting if Forbes was still available at 17. I bet the Pats would’ve had a major internal debate who to take, Gonzalez or Forbes. They both may turn out great. But there were so many variables. I would love to know who was in that bunch of players that the Pats were happy with knowing some of them would still be there when they moved down 3 slots.

My thought process was, they just passed up a chance to take Gonzalez, JSN or any of the top WRs. I was very angry. But once Broderick Jones went, and then McDonald IV, and Forbes went, I thought, holy ****, Gonzales is still there, and all the top receivers are too. Wow.

Now coming into the draft, my biggest want was Gonzalez. Then WR, then OT. I thought Gonzalez was going to go top 7, I really did. And I always felt he was the top corner in the draft, always liked him more than Witherspoon, I don’t care that Witherspoon went 6th, I still feel Gonzalez was the best corner in the draft.

But what would’ve happened if Forbes AND Gonzalez were gone ? Would they have gone WR ? We will never know.

I don’t think they did it to screw the Jets.
Reports indicate some other folks disagree.

Patriots' Bill Belichick wanted to 'f--- the Jets' with draft trade: report

"They should have had to give up a [third-round pick] and not a four to move up there," one NFL general manager told the outlet. "Belichick did it just to f--- the Jets. He sold low because he knew the Steelers were going to take the kid the Jets wanted to take.”

"Bill will try to screw them over any chance he gets. He knew exactly what he was doing," another personnel executive in the league added.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in their decision. They wouldn't do it just to screw over the Jets, but if the Steelers came to them to move up and they knew they could get the player they are targeting and the Steelers would take the Jets' player it could be enough of an incentive to take the risk that there is a slight chance of missing out on the guy you want.
You can’t EVER know you can get the player you are targeting if you have #14 and trade down to #17. Some other team could always take that player, or some team could trade up to 15 or 16 to take that player. What if that player was Forbes who went #16 ?

That being said, the Pats literally took 30 seconds to hand in their pick. I’ve never seen them hand in their card that fast. Even Mac waited longer, and everyone knew the Pats were taking him.

That’s the feelings of other team’s executives, there’s no definitive proof he did it for that reason. You could try to screw another team and lose the player you want.
Could be. I just think it’s pretty striking that other NFL execs, and not just hangers on but general managers, are saying they believe it. Whether it’s true or not becomes secondary. It becomes another Jedi mind trick.

This is getting embarrassingly overblown. Even if true, which I don't believe, then the end result was Belichick helped the Steelers get their guy and become a better football team (in the conference). A team that will be competing for a wild card spot. A team that had an A+ draft and probably has moved ahead of the Patriots in the conference.

The Jets had a great off-season, nothing happened in the draft to make their team worse, it's just desperate BB ass kissers trying to prop up him up. When sadly he needs it.

This is getting embarrassingly overblown. Even if true, which I don't believe, then the end result was Belichick helped the Steelers get their guy and become a better football team (in the conference). A team that will be competing for a wild card spot. A team that had an A+ draft and probably has moved ahead of the Patriots in the conference.

The Jets had a great off-season, nothing happened in the draft to make their team worse, it's just desperate BB ass kissers trying to prop up him up. When sadly he needs it.

That is a lot of drama. The headline generates "clicks" when the NFL news cycle is slow. Nothing more nefarious than that.

You can’t EVER know you can get the player you are targeting if you have #14 and trade down to #17. Some other team could always take that player, or some team could trade up to 15 or 16 to take that player. What if that player was Forbes who went #16 ?

That being said, the Pats literally took 30 seconds to hand in their pick. I’ve never seen them hand in their card that fast. Even Mac waited longer, and everyone knew the Pats were taking him.

Word was Washington didn‘t hide the fact they thought Forbes was the #1 CB on their board. I heard someone say that. If that is the case, it was a safe bet that Gonzalez was going to be on the board at #17 since the Jets weren‘t going to draft him.

Indeed. 4.35 40. Highly superior to Gonzalez's 4.38.
If my calculations are correct (about a 50/50 chance) Forbes runs 3.19 MPH and Gonzalez runs 3.22 MPH.
Forbes would go 3/10 of a mile further in one hour.
Or, about a foot and a half further in the 40 yard dash.

Part of me wonders if Van Ness would've been the pick at #14 (or #17) if GB hadn't selected him.

Still, thrilled with Gonzalez, and Keion White isn't a bad consolation prize.

Of course it's not true. Bill would never make a decision based on a grudge. I suppose the next thing we're going to hear is that Bill shows favoritism to some of his players over others. Poppycock!

All kidding aside, it's amazing to me how many hoops some fans here will jump through to make Bill into a genius, while at the same time ignoring some glaring mistakes that he made.

When Bill first arrived I was an AOLe and I remember having a discussion there about the way Bill spends. My feeling was that he didn't like to spend on top players but would spread out the money and have a deeper team. It looked like the proper way to go because the Pats had a ton of injuries in 2003-2004 on defense but still won.

I'm not sure if that method still works though. The best players have always been the key to winning but now teams are paying. The Pats are still not spending on top talent and they need it now more than ever. They don't have Brady to bail them out anymore.

I have a friend who’s a Jets fan go ape after that draft trade he went on a tirade.

I can share some of it .

I just want to take a moment to let you both know that the Patriots are the biggest ****suckers in organized sports, with Bill Belicheat being the chief ingester of said ****s. Really?!?!?!? Trading back just to f*** us out of our tackle???? All good homie. Prepare to have the wrath of God brought down on you this season. Can’t fu***** wait!!!! J. E. T. S. jets jets. JETS!!!!!!!!!

It got way worse after I said they reached on a D end after going into a panic.
I said how do you got from a legendary draft last season to worst draft on paper this season.
Please show the whole post!

Please show the whole post!

We did not have a terrible draft. I couldn’t disagree with you more. And the pettiness displayed by your organization from top to bottom will finally cost you. It’s f******+* personal now motherf**********. No class no integrity. Payback is coming *****es.

Oh and calling the league office?? About you assholes CHEATING?!?!?!?? Wouldn’t be an issue if you played by the rules. Fuxk outa here with that

The hate is real!

It makes perfect sense. We are loading up in a division where going after the QB is key. McDonald is not a teach at all. His bend is ridiculous. He had 34 sacks in college. Calm the **** down with your analysis Kiper. I think I trust Joe Douglas over the Schmutz you just dropped all over my screen. And I’m talking about my hate. For you guys.

And will McDonald was ABSOLUTELY a first rounder on everything I watched.

And we didn’t need receivers you Shmuck. We have Garrett Wilson. The rookie of the year. Corey Davis. Allen Lazard. Denzel Mims. We are good with receivers.

You think McDonald was a reach cause you don’t know anything about him. When’s the last time you watched an Iowa state game. You know who does know though? The guy who gets paid to. The guy who built the Eagles team that won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles. And who is now doing the same with the Jets. I think I’ll trust him over whatever jackass provided the analysis you typed here. Cause that clown clearly has no idea what the f*** he’s talking about.

Oh he’s also the guy that brought a legendary QB. Who is going to the hall of fame first ballot, who clearly has something to prove and wants more rings. Yeah. He got that done too. F****** guy is a genius. And when we wipe the floor with you guys twice this year you will know it too. Cause Belicheat ain’t sh*! without Brady. He proved that in Cleveland.

So they screwed the Jets just to strengthen another team that looks to be their equal, fighting for a playoff spot?

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back