PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade down with Steelers to screw over Jets

So they screwed the Jets just to strengthen another team that looks to be their equal, fighting for a playoff spot?
Is drafting a guy they clearly decided they didn’t want really strengthening the team that drafts him?

I mean, all 31 other teams are rivals. Every one is doing their best to win. Once you decide you’re not drafting a prospect it’s almost inevitable they’ll go to a rival. Worrying about which one is just noise. Bill likely didn’t do this to weaken the Jets as to screw with their heads.

Last edited:
If my calculations are correct (about a 50/50 chance) Forbes runs 3.19 MPH and Gonzalez runs 3.22 MPH.
Forbes would go 3/10 of a mile further in one hour.
Or, about a foot and a half further in the 40 yard dash.

4.35 sec 40 = 18.81 mph
4.38 sec 40 = 18.68 mph

4.35 sec 40 = 18.81 mph
4.38 sec 40 = 18.68 mph
So the difference is 0.13 mph.

5280 x 0.13 = 686.4 feet difference in an hour.
11.44 feet difference in a minute.
0.19066666667 feet difference in a second, or 2.288 inches.

Gonzalez ran a 4.38 forty, so the difference would be 0.83512 feet. Or 10.02144 inches.

BFD

So they screwed the Jets just to strengthen another team that looks to be their equal, fighting for a playoff spot?
Bingo! Seriously if Kraft could confirm Belichick's motivation for the trade was purely out of malice toward the Jets, and in doing so he aided a conference rival (Pittsburgh) who is another team now passing the Patriots by in the AFC, then Kraft should fire BB immediately.

Pittsburgh went 7-2 after their bye last season. They finished with a better record than NE. They had an A+ draft this year after having drafted their franchise QB and a stud WR1 (in the 2nd round) last year. They're a team that's ascending so they don't need BB doing them any favors (which is exactly what some people would have us believe).

1) This is ridiculous. 2) It's even more ridiculous that the IBWTers are celebrating it like Belichick pulled off this ingenious plan (of helping out the Pittsburgh Steelers!). 3) After the Jets secured Rodgers, there wasn't anything that could have happened during the draft to ruin their off-season.

Bingo! Seriously if Kraft could confirm Belichick's motivation for the trade was purely out of malice toward the Jets, and in doing so he aided a conference rival (Pittsburgh) who is another team now passing the Patriots by in the AFC, then Kraft should fire BB immediately.

Pittsburgh went 7-2 after their bye last season. They finished with a better record than NE. They had an A+ draft this year after having drafted their franchise QB and a stud WR1 (in the 2nd round) last year. They're a team that's ascending so they don't need BB doing them any favors (which is exactly what some people would have us believe).

1) This is ridiculous. 2) It's even more ridiculous that the IBWTers are celebrating it like Belichick pulled off this ingenious plan (of helping out the Pittsburgh Steelers!). 3) After the Jets secured Rodgers, there wasn't anything that could have happened during the draft to ruin their off-season.
The Jets are also a conference rival. And a division rival. And they now have Rodgers at QB. Don't act as though they're any less of a threat than Pittsburgh, and hurting a rival in the division is more important that hurting an out of division rival.

The Jets are also a conference rival. And a division rival. And they now have Rodgers at QB. Don't act as though they're any less of a threat than Pittsburgh, and hurting a rival in the division is more important that hurting an out of division rival.
So you believe this Belichick draft day conspiracy theory to hurt the Jets?

And when did I act like the Jets aren't a threat in the division? With the addition of Rodgers, they're better than the Patriots imo. The Jets should challenge Buffalo for 1st place. I'm not excluding Miami either if Tua can keep it together for a full season. At best the Patriots will be fighting for a wild card spot. The AFC North could be the best division in the NFL next season. 1st place there probably will go to Cincinnati or Baltimore but I can see Pittsburgh winning 10 games and being in the wild card mix. The Patriots will be had pressed to reach double digit wins so effectively helping another wild card contender get a better player in the draft is really dumb. So the gist of this whole thing, if true, is Belichick's an idiot.

Pittsburg calls, wants to trade up ahead of the Jets to get their OT, offers the Pats a 4th to move up three spots, Pats agree, thinking one of 3 guys they want will be at 17. The ancillary benefit is that a division rival doesn't get said OT. This is not a continuation of the cold war with the Parcells era Jets. It's just business.

Pittsburg calls, wants to trade up ahead of the Jets to get their OT, offers the Pats a 4th to move up three spots, Pats agree, thinking one of 3 guys they want will be at 17. The ancillary benefit is that a division rival doesn't get said OT. This is not a continuation of the cold war with the Parcells era Jets. It's just business.
Fine. If your characterization is accurate. Other people are arguing Belichick somehow facilitated the trade to screw up the Jets... he had the intent, he pursued it, and he made it happen. They're calling him a genius for it. 1) It's absurd to believe it went down like that and 2) if it did, then Bill's an idiot, because he allowed a wild card contender to get better.

Fine. If your characterization is accurate. Other people are arguing Belichick somehow facilitated the trade to screw up the Jets... he had the intent, he pursued it, and he made it happen. They're calling him a genius for it. 1) It's absurd to believe it went down like that and 2) if it did, then Bill's an idiot, because he allowed a wild card contender to get better.
Let them think what they want.

…, then Bill's an idiot, because he allowed a wild card contender to get better.
He’s an idiot because he let a theoretical wild card contender possibly get better,
thereby preventing a divisional opponent that could keep the Pats out of the playoffs entirely from getting better?

sheesh.

Let them think what they want.
Like I have a choice. They'll say it anyway despite how absurd it can be made to look.

He’s an idiot because he let a theoretical wild card contender possibly get better,
thereby preventing a divisional opponent that could keep the Pats out of the playoffs entirely from getting better?
I think he made the trade because he thought he could still get someone he wanted at 17 and he added a 4th. One consequence of that was allowing a conference rival to get the player they wanted. It's a trade, both teams have to get something they want. I just think the entire Jets angle is ridiculous and fantasy. But regardless, the Jets made a franchise altering trade this off-season, which has secured them in the plus side for the off-season. Broderick Jones going to the Steelers at 14 didn't ruin their lives.

Like I have a choice. They'll say it anyway despite how absurd it can be made to look.
There you go again. Smarm. I'm the smartest guy here, y'all are stupid.

I seriously doubt they did it to screw with the Jets; I just cannot see it. It does not make sense; they were hyper focused on making sure that this was a great draft instead of trying to ruin the draft for another team, even if it is the hated Jets.

I'm the lion.
tywin lannister tomman lanniester GIF by Game of Thrones

Taking Carter Warren in the fourth—since our OTs are aging mediocrities on a one-year deal—would have benefited us and deprived the Jets of a good player.

The gd kicker could have waited. The supply of which far exceeds the demand.

Taking Carter Warren in the fourth—since our OTs are aging mediocrities on a one-year deal—would have benefited us and deprived the Jets of a good player.

Hey State they have two guys in Stueber and Cajuste who could benefit from the Good Coaching they will receive. They might be just as good as the guys they could have Drafted. Also it's noted that 6'5 Sidy Sow will be tried at OT.

Sure. Plenty of awful kickers to go around.

BB tries to screw over the jets any chance he gets and this move proves it!

I love it!

Little Billy should've DEMANED #80 instead of 120... Otherwise the ****ing Squealers can GFT.

We then could've made the trade with Carolina for 93 + 132 and still secured BYU LT Blake Freeland at 93 (after drafting Chocolate Gronk or Tucker - No Relation to Bob - Kraft at 76) and then used 132 on Actual Talent like SC DB Darius Rush.

But as usual, it's Our asses that get raped in this trade.

Because Little Billy Notgoat, instead of being this cold-eyed Killer, is a ****ing ****y.

And did y'all see what he ****ing did with #120 anyway?

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back