PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Toughest QB Pats have faced in the AFC championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000s Manning and it's not even close. Our 2000s defenses aren't given enough credit in the grand scheme of football. That 20-3 win over the Colts in 2004-05 was insane.

I look at this kid Mahomes and think, like most of you, he's a rock star. No look passes and all that.

BUT...

Is he any different than Russell Wilson? Legit question, I'd like to hear what the X's and O's guys say. From my coach's chair, I see a guy that has a chit ton of confidence, and makes plays with his legs a la Russell. I really think that his no look, left handed BS is gonna catch up with him.

I have a feeling that BB will find a way to keep him in the pocket, much like they tried with Russell. We might be screaming at the TV to "get him", but the plan might be to keep him home and take away that part of his game.

And the answer to the question is Manning.
I noticed in the last game, mahomes was actually more lethal when he rolled out of the pocket. He’s patient and if there’s nothing open at first, he can buy some time and kill defenses on those throws.

No love for Mark Brunell? :p

I look at this kid Mahomes and think, like most of you, he's a rock star. No look passes and all that.

BUT...

Is he any different than Russell Wilson? Legit question, I'd like to hear what the X's and O's guys say. From my coach's chair, I see a guy that has a chit ton of confidence, and makes plays with his legs a la Russell. I really think that his no look, left handed BS is gonna catch up with him.

I have a feeling that BB will find a way to keep him in the pocket, much like they tried with Russell. We might be screaming at the TV to "get him", but the plan might be to keep him home and take away that part of his game.

Mahomes plays nothing like Russell Wilson. He's more like Aaron Rodgers.

BUT...

I think it’s illogical to claim the lefty, no-look stuff will catch up with him. Those have accounted for like 5 of his completions this year. Take those plays away, and he’s still the mvp. He’s a great qb.

Much as we like to talk Peyton down, he had a great career and is one of the few guys who could really rival TB12's success in this era.

The difference between Manning and Rodgers is that Manning was actually a valid rival to Brady -- consistently a little behind TB12 but in the conversation. Rodgers really hasn't held up his end for years now and the "rivalry" between him and Brady is mostly a media creation. Manning never had a dry spell like Rodgers is having now, even when he was 40 years old and falling apart at the seams.

I think it’s illogical to claim the lefty, no-look stuff will catch up with him. Those have accounted for like 5 of his completions this year. Take those plays away, and he’s still the mvp. He’s a great qb.
I'm not ready to anoint this kid as great. He's had a GREAT season. Historic, and if he's not MVP, he is robbed. But we've seen guys come into the league and light it up and then fall off. The defensive rules favor the QB. From my chair, I want to see him do it over a number of years before I say he's great. He could be the second coming RG III and Kaepernick. He might be the next great QB, too. But I'll take a wait and see approach before I cast up a bronze bust in Canton.

For me it is already: Mahomes>Manning '06>Flacco '12/'13

BUT...

Russell Wilson is a more disciplined passer.

And the answer to the question is Kordell Stewart....I mean Peyton Manning.

I’ll be surprised if there’s more than one contrarian vote that didn’t vote Mahomes as MVP.

Manning

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

BUT...

I'd take Wilson over Mahomes 10 out of 10 times.

Early BB was able to confuse PM, Peyton figured it out eventually and was much tougher later in his career.
The big difference is that after 2004 Goober finally put in the time and effort to work on being able to throw effectively without setting his feet.

BUT...

Yes. He is different from Russell Wilson. He makes more plays with his arm in a game than Wilson does in a season.

I'm not ready to anoint this kid as great. He's had a GREAT season. Historic, and if he's not MVP, he is robbed. But we've seen guys come into the league and light it up and then fall off. The defensive rules favor the QB. From my chair, I want to see him do it over a number of years before I say he's great. He could be the second coming RG III and Kaepernick. He might be the next great QB, too. But I'll take a wait and see approach before I cast up a bronze bust in Canton.

Remind me who the guys were that came into the league, threw 50 TDs in a season and then fell off?

Peyton Manning - Every single time.

Was unbelievable what he could do. Could run an offensive as well as anyone ever could.

Early BB was able to confuse PM, Peyton figured it out eventually and was much tougher later in his career. Got to go with PM.
I'll wait to see what Mahomes can do on the big stage before worrying about him.

I'm not so sure that PEDton really figured things out. Bill Polian, with the help of other Pats' victims, had the rules changed to keep the Pats defense from disrupting the timing of their routes.

Fivehead and nobody else is close honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back