PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top ten reasons the Houston game was HUGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...merely repeating the NFL, national and local media's diatribe over time...and simply pointing out that Kraft's approach since '93 of pretending it does not exist was always doomed to failure.

This post reminds me that the ignore option is one of the most valuable features of Patsfans.

should I be ashamed of feeling attachment to that logo and colors? I mean, all my Pats memories are attached to that branding. Am I less of a fan because I am only 30?
Not at all. As I've said, it's no fault of fans. As opposed to - dumping on - the F.E., although I do find it aesthetically abhorrent, I point out the malevolent and disrespectful context of its conception. The parties - Orthwein, the NFL, et al. - all have nothing but ignorant, stupid contempt for the New England Patriots.

Orthwein: "Hey Kraft, you wanna help me quickly dump the team's logo and uniforms of 33 years, before Parcells gets here? You can help choose the new one. You were probably busy with the Lobsters or something and missed that game where Proto-Elvis was booed out of the stadium. What do you say?"

Kraft: "Sure! I'll never do anything to upset the applecart. I respect all you NFL guys anyway."

Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, Kansas City and even the hated Raiders and Jets retain their traditional field identities honoring former players, coaches and fans of their histories.

While removing/replacing the flying elvis from everywhere it's posted would literally be impossible, I simply suggest reinstating their helmets & uni's on the field, where it counts. Besides doubling merchandising and promotions profits and engendering immeasurable goodwill across the planet, it will be a small step toward educating people across the nation - and right here, locally - as to who and what the New England Patriots really are.

Vive le Canada!
canadian flag images - Bing images

Hopefully winning puts an end to the hand wringing every time a great Pats team faces a suppposedly inferior team. But Jets game! 2010! The Pats were so awesome that year (even though they certainly were not) and they lost!

That kind of thinking should have gone away when Butler made the pick off Wilson. Or when the 2004 Sox won.
"Tuck Rule" game was key. Nothing shady, just a properly reversed call according to the rules at the time.

Good Karma was all over that team that season, of course after **** Rehbein's tragic loss.

Until he went waaaaaaaaayyyyy overboard I was in his corner. Since then he has become the Boy That Cried Pat.
There are examples going both ways in other sports.

P. (The Bruce) McNall had Wayne land in his lap (thanks to the new Mrs. Gretzky) and he promptly wrecked the LA Kings' cool uniforms, which matched the Lakers...decades and two Cups later, they still look like idiots.

After being dressed in the 70's and 80's in what barely qualified as pajamas, someone in the Atlanta Braves organization (Turner?) came to his senses and decided the team should look like a professional, serious, legitimate, classy, traditional baseball club. They then proceeded to win a zillion division titles and a World Series.

Last edited:
9/11? Huh??? Did you just say use that as an example of a day where people doubted our team?

What is going on in that head of yours? :eek:

Ignore makes for some perplexing reading at times :D

Not at all. As I've said, it's no fault of fans. As opposed to - dumping on - the F.E., although I do find it aesthetically abhorrent, I point out the malevolent and disrespectful context of its conception. The parties - Orthwein, the NFL, et al. - all have nothing but ignorant, stupid contempt for the New England Patriots.

Orthwein: "Hey Kraft, you wanna help me quickly dump the team's logo and uniforms of 33 years, before Parcells gets here? You can help choose the new one. You were probably busy with the Lobsters or something and missed that game where Proto-Elvis was booed out of the stadium. What do you say?"

Kraft: "Sure! I'll never do anything to upset the applecart. I respect all you NFL guys anyway."

Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, Kansas City and even the hated Raiders and Jets retain their traditional field identities honoring former players, coaches and fans of their histories.

While removing/replacing the flying elvis from everywhere it's posted would literally be impossible, I simply suggest reinstating their helmets & uni's on the field, where it counts. Besides doubling merchandising and promotions profits and engendering immeasurable goodwill across the planet, it will be a small step toward educating people across the nation - and right here, locally - as to who and what the New England Patriots really are.

Vive le Canada!
canadian flag images - Bing images
You are wrong

RE: Green Bay

After Lambeau's exit, the "New Packers" introduced their first official logo, featuring a green "Packers" script with a football in between two goal posts. The logo would also be present on 1950 stock certificates. During the next four years, the colors would change as the team experimented with several uniform combinations. The offical team colors were changed to hunter green and "taxicab" gold, solidfied by new coach Gene Ronzani's statement, "We are the GREEN Bay Packers". The color scheme yields the common Packer nickname, "The Green and Gold".

In 1954, the Packers looked for a different look with new coach Lisle Blackbourn. The team unveiled new uniforms and a new logo. The mark featured a quarterback wearing No. 41 behind a yellow football with a backdrop of Wisconsin. The state also marked both Green Bay and Milwaukee on the state. The No. 41 was worn two decades earlier, both by Arnie Herber and Clarke Hinkle. The logo would be used until 1961.

Also introduced in 1959, an alternate logo was introduced that featured an interlocking yellow 'GB' on green. It was found on sidelines whereit was worn on hats, shirts, and jackets by coaches, equipment managers, and trainers during games and practice sessions. The logo is notably worn by Vince Lombardi and later head coaches, such as Phil Bengston and Dan Devine.

On February 2, 1959, Vince Lombardi accepted the position of Head Coach and General Manager of the Green Bay Packers. Lombardi requested to revamp the uniforms, basic designs, and colors. All uniforms featured a three-striped design on socks. Also, all players were asked to wear the same style cleats. To this day, the current design remains.

Logos and uniforms of the Green Bay Packers

RE: KC
The Chiefs were originally the Dallas Texans.

RE: Pittsburgh
The Steelers have had several logos in the early part of their history, among them including the crest of Pittsburgh, a football with Pittsburgh's then-smoggy skyline, as well as a construction worker hanging onto a chain holding a pennant. Another logo showed the worker punting a football on a steel beam. It is rumored that mascot Steely McBeam was based on the latter logo.[3]
The team's current primary logo was introduced in 1962 and is based on the flag originally designed by Pittsburgh's U.S. Steel and now owned by the American Iron and Steel Institute (
Logos and uniforms of the Pittsburgh Steelers - Wikipedia

RE: SF
The 49ers changed uniform designs and color combinations quite often in their first eighteen years of existence. From the team's inception in 1946 through the early 1960s, the San Francisco 49ers usually wore red, white or silver helmets, white or light-gray pants, and cardinal red (home) and white (road) jerseys. The 49ers' original logo was a mustached 49er gold miner from the 1849 California Gold Rush, dressed in plaid pants and a red shirt, jumping in midair with his hat falling off, and fired pistols in each hand: one nearly shooting his foot, and the other pistol forming the word "Forty-Niners" from its smoke. By the mid-1950s this logo showed the prospector jumping against a backdrop of Kezar Stadium, the team's home from 1946 to 1970.
Logos and uniforms of the San Francisco 49ers - Wikipedia

RE: Raiders
The team famous for their silver and black actually started out as the gold and black. In 1963 the color pattern was officially changed to the silver and black that we know today
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall05/brownlee/raiders.html

RE: Cowboys

When the Dallas Cowboys franchise debuted in 1960, the team's uniform included a white helmet adorned with a simple blue star and a blue-white-blue stripe down the center crown.
The new helmet was silverblue, with a blue-white-blue tri-stripe down the center (the middle white stripe was thicker). The blue "lone star" logo was retained, but with a white border setting it off from the silverblue

Dallas Cowboys - Wikipedia

You are wrong

RE: Green Bay

After Lambeau's exit, the "New Packers" introduced their first official logo, featuring a green "Packers" script with a football in between two goal posts. The logo would also be present on 1950 stock certificates. During the next four years, the colors would change as the team experimented with several uniform combinations. The offical team colors were changed to hunter green and "taxicab" gold, solidfied by new coach Gene Ronzani's statement, "We are the GREEN Bay Packers". The color scheme yields the common Packer nickname, "The Green and Gold".

In 1954, the Packers looked for a different look with new coach Lisle Blackbourn. The team unveiled new uniforms and a new logo. The mark featured a quarterback wearing No. 41 behind a yellow football with a backdrop of Wisconsin. The state also marked both Green Bay and Milwaukee on the state. The No. 41 was worn two decades earlier, both by Arnie Herber and Clarke Hinkle. The logo would be used until 1961.

Also introduced in 1959, an alternate logo was introduced that featured an interlocking yellow 'GB' on green. It was found on sidelines whereit was worn on hats, shirts, and jackets by coaches, equipment managers, and trainers during games and practice sessions. The logo is notably worn by Vince Lombardi and later head coaches, such as Phil Bengston and Dan Devine.

On February 2, 1959, Vince Lombardi accepted the position of Head Coach and General Manager of the Green Bay Packers. Lombardi requested to revamp the uniforms, basic designs, and colors. All uniforms featured a three-striped design on socks. Also, all players were asked to wear the same style cleats. To this day, the current design remains.

Logos and uniforms of the Green Bay Packers

RE: KC
The Chiefs were originally the Dallas Texans.

RE: Pittsburgh
The Steelers have had several logos in the early part of their history, among them including the crest of Pittsburgh, a football with Pittsburgh's then-smoggy skyline, as well as a construction worker hanging onto a chain holding a pennant. Another logo showed the worker punting a football on a steel beam. It is rumored that mascot Steely McBeam was based on the latter logo.[3]
The team's current primary logo was introduced in 1962 and is based on the flag originally designed by Pittsburgh's U.S. Steel and now owned by the American Iron and Steel Institute (
Logos and uniforms of the Pittsburgh Steelers - Wikipedia

RE: SF
The 49ers changed uniform designs and color combinations quite often in their first eighteen years of existence. From the team's inception in 1946 through the early 1960s, the San Francisco 49ers usually wore red, white or silver helmets, white or light-gray pants, and cardinal red (home) and white (road) jerseys. The 49ers' original logo was a mustached 49er gold miner from the 1849 California Gold Rush, dressed in plaid pants and a red shirt, jumping in midair with his hat falling off, and fired pistols in each hand: one nearly shooting his foot, and the other pistol forming the word "Forty-Niners" from its smoke. By the mid-1950s this logo showed the prospector jumping against a backdrop of Kezar Stadium, the team's home from 1946 to 1970.
Logos and uniforms of the San Francisco 49ers - Wikipedia

RE: Raiders
The team famous for their silver and black actually started out as the gold and black. In 1963 the color pattern was officially changed to the silver and black that we know today
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall05/brownlee/raiders.html

RE: Cowboys

When the Dallas Cowboys franchise debuted in 1960, the team's uniform included a white helmet adorned with a simple blue star and a blue-white-blue stripe down the center crown.
The new helmet was silverblue, with a blue-white-blue tri-stripe down the center (the middle white stripe was thicker). The blue "lone star" logo was retained, but with a white border setting it off from the silverblue

Dallas Cowboys - Wikipedia
Thanks for the great research!!

My specific comment:

Among the four teams to play today, I noticed that all of them retain their logos & uniforms going back to the early sixties. History, tradition, origins, class, heritage, loyalty of football fans etc.

So without discounting events prior to the 60's, we can safely delineate the "Modern Era" starting about '63 when those above mentioned franchises settled into what they've stuck with through today.

Regarding the Pats, Pat Patriot was the team logo, used in programs etc. even in the initial season with hats/numbers on the helmets, and then of course the familiar helmet & basic color scheme every year after that, for thirty-three years.

The single one-man job you reference is Lombardi, who needs no introduction and whom I would describe as the polar opposite of James Busch Orthwein. Unlike his precious Budweiser beer label which remains basically intact after generations, except for the insulting "America" campaign during last summer's Rio Olympics, the late Orthwein had zero personal attachment or affinity for us or our team, as his friends and associates emphasized their shared opinion of the Patriots as the most wretched, miserable excuse for a franchise ever, and most significantly: Orthwein made his last offer to buy out the lease - and purchase & move the team to St. Louis - to Kraft in 1994, a year after trashing the uniforms & logo. Not exactly pioneering moves in hiring a two-time Super Bowl winning coach (Parcells-who wanted to be here, coached here before and preferred the old logo-but wasn't asked)...how'd George Seifert (whom I saw as HC at Cornell-yikes I'm old) do at Carolina? And drafted a QB #1-shocker.

The way I see it - Kraft missed the point that by 2002, Orthwein, Parcells, Bledsoe, and the old stadium were gone for good, and that was the time for the ill-advised flying elvis to join them, faster than you can say, "CMGI Field." But he didn't. Even as it was clear that Brady was someone special, and the team was set to compete annually for at least several years, Kraft believed he was dealing with people in the league who were respectable, trustworthy and did NOT hold a long-standing bias against his team; and the "Tuck Rule" nonsense, "They hate their coach" stupidity and increased denigration on ESPN and elsewhere - even as defending champions - finally erupted in all our faces less than a year after Goodell took office.

Thanks for the great research!!

My specific comment:

Among the four teams to play today, I noticed that all of them retain their logos & uniforms going back to the early sixties. History, tradition, origins, class, heritage, loyalty of football fans etc.

So without discounting events prior to the 60's, we can safely delineate the "Modern Era" starting about '63 when those above mentioned franchises settled into what they've stuck with through today.

Regarding the Pats, Pat Patriot was the team logo, used in programs etc. even in the initial season with hats/numbers on the helmets, and then of course the familiar helmet & basic color scheme every year after that, for thirty-three years.

The single one-man job you reference is Lombardi, who needs no introduction and whom I would describe as the polar opposite of James Busch Orthwein. Unlike his precious Budweiser beer label which remains basically intact after generations, except for the insulting "America" campaign during last summer's Rio Olympics, the late Orthwein had zero personal attachment or affinity for us or our team, as his friends and associates emphasized their shared opinion of the Patriots as the most wretched, miserable excuse for a franchise ever, and most significantly: Orthwein made his last offer to buy out the lease - and purchase & move the team to St. Louis - to Kraft in 1994, a year after trashing the uniforms & logo. Not exactly pioneering moves in hiring a two-time Super Bowl winning coach (Parcells-who wanted to be here, coached here before and preferred the old logo-but wasn't asked)...how'd George Seifert (whom I saw as HC at Cornell-yikes I'm old) do at Carolina? And drafted a QB #1-shocker.

The way I see it - Kraft missed the point that by 2002, Orthwein, Parcells, Bledsoe, and the old stadium were gone for good, and that was the time for the ill-advised flying elvis to join them, faster than you can say, "CMGI Field." But he didn't. Even as it was clear that Brady was someone special, and the team was set to compete annually for at least several years, Kraft believed he was dealing with people in the league who were respectable, trustworthy and did NOT hold a long-standing bias against his team; and the "Tuck Rule" nonsense, "They hate their coach" stupidity and increased denigration on ESPN and elsewhere - even as defending champions - finally erupted in all our faces less than a year after Goodell took office.
No this was your comment

And I missed one. The jets were not even originally the jets they were the titans.

As opposed to classless, expansion fly by night wannabe losers who treat their fans like their attention spans are less then garden slugs'...not mentioning any teams specifically...
Above posted Sunday, 10:04pm

8dxx6x0thg5enftyjijdzxkf6.gif
1964-Pres.
973.gif
1963-Pres.
559.gif
1961-Pres.
jzh5fu3cy78v1o3u1m024pp0b.gif
1964-Pres.
39dlahgf5idik4sln4vafga86.gif
1961-Pres.
f9q5ot20if84eyjqjdgy1h4gw.gif
1964-Pres.
xuaywi2on4hdtzjgc01ctleai.gif
1963-Pres.
pmghrhemwcxu7q9an5v7d0nkw.gif
1961-

Honest question. As someone who was born in 1986 and started following the team in 96 therefore grew up with the Flying Elvis logo, should I be ashamed of feeling attachment to that logo and colors? I mean, all my Pats memories are attached to that branding. Am I less of a fan because I am only 30?
Yes

But only slightly less. You'll understand someday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back