PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady has won more playoff games than Joe Montana qualified for

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Brady became a starter in his second year for a team that was 5-11 the previous year and 0-2 in 2001......That's a wash in my book....
And the strike shortened year added 2 or 4 more playoff teams so it was actually easier to make the playoffs that year...

ThAts a fair point, I would argue that the Patriots did have a better overall team. And that Montana became the starter much later in his second season than Brady. I didn't know that about the playoffs teams. If people wanna hold that against Montana that's fine. Brady missed the playoffs in a full season so call that a wash too. But Brady never left a playoff game with injury. Brady's had more games because of 2 less one and outs. People can hate me all they want if I think durability is a big reason for it. I don't really care.

AFCCG 2001 ...Brady tweaked his knee and Bledsoe replaced him throwing a TD pass to Givens/Patten (?)
Lol Wow completely forgot about that one. That actually hurts my argument too.

Wow that really was a clown statement especially when I watched the highlights of that game 2 nights ago

Lol Wow completely forgot about that one. That actually hurts my argument too.

Wow that really was a clown statement especially when I watched the highlights of that game 2 nights ago
Yeah and Montana had the benefit of throwing to the greatest receiver of all time, Rice.....
So Brady has done more with less and it isn't longevity...

Yeah and Montana had the benefit of throwing to the greatest receiver of all time, Rice.....

Montana won 2 Super Bowls without rice though. It's not like either of them had crap around them. Good coaches and good defenses. And both insanely good in the clutch. And I think longevity/durability matters and is a factor when comparing the tWo

In addition to Rice as the greatest receiver of all time, Montana threw to John Taylor, Dwight Clark, and Brent Jones. He had Roger Craig at running back behind an OL like Steve Wallace, Randy Cross, Bubba Paris, and Harris Barton. When Steve Young replaced Montana they won another Super Bowl, so it isn't like others couldn't win with that team.

Years ago, I thought that Montana was the greatest QB ever, but that was before Brady. Brady is simply on another level. He has had great team-mates, but nothing like Montana. And, importantly, there is more responsibility on Brady's shoulders than any quarterback ever, IMHO. Heck, in many key playoff games the Patriots hardly run the ball, it is all Brady throwing.

It just isn't close.

ThAts a fair point, I would argue that the Patriots did have a better overall team. And that Montana became the starter much later in his second season than Brady. I didn't know that about the playoffs teams. If people wanna hold that against Montana that's fine. Brady missed the playoffs in a full season so call that a wash too. But Brady never left a playoff game with injury. Brady's had more games because of 2 less one and outs. People can hate me all they want if I think durability is a big reason for it. I don't really care.
Brady left the afccg in 2001 with an injury and won that SB while still hobbled.
Brady had played through many injuries.

Brady left the afccg in 2001 with an injury and won that SB while still hobbled.
Brady had played through many injuries.

Yeah it's pretty embarrassing I forgot about that which was discussed above. Look I have already said Brady is better than Montana. So I don't get all of the commotion. Yes it is true that Montanas 4 one and outs prevent him from winning more. But injuries cost him a few more wins too. That statement isn't being sympathetic to Montana, it's knocking him. Montanas sample size isn't as large. Because he isn't in my opinion as good, or as durable, which is a fact

What? 1 or 2 more than Brady? Montana lost 3 years due to injury and a strike

The league had playoffs in 82 and 87. Joe had his chances.

Brady missed a year

Joe missed a year.

Brady was hurt in a title game- and Drew won.

Joe was hurt in a title game- and lost b/c Craig fumbled.

Joe had been THE starter 13 years (1979 and 1990 removed).

Joe went to the post-season 11 times.

Tom has been THE starter 15 (remove 2000 and 2008) years

Tom has been to the postseason 14 times

Tom should not be penalized for better health, better teams and winning more games because he played more.

The league had playoffs in 82 and 87. Joe had his chances.

Brady missed a year

Joe missed a year.

Brady was hurt in a title game- and Drew won.

Joe was hurt in a title game- and lost b/c Craig fumbled.

Joe had been THE starter 13 years (1979 and 1990 removed).

Joe went to the post-season 11 times.

Tom has been THE starter 15 (remove 2000 and 2008) years

Tom has been to the postseason 14 times

Tom should not be penalized for better health, better teams and winning more games because he played more.

Who is penalizing Brady. I'm putting a check mark in the Montana vs Brady argument in favor of Brady for longevity and durability. Have I not been clear about that? The argument seems to be whether that was a factor in the amount of playoff games which I think it is.

And you forgot to remove 91 or 92 for Joe

Who is penalizing Brady. I'm putting a check mark in the Montana vs Brady argument in favor of Brady for longevity and durability. Have I not been clear about that? The argument seems to be whether that was a factor in the amount of playoff games which I think it is.

Because you diminish the fact that Brady is a better QB by using the durability and longevity excuse.
Yes Brady is much more durable and he is also better durability aside.

Because you diminish the fact that Brady is a better QB by using the durability and longevity excuse.
Yes Brady is much more durable and he is also better durability aside.

I personally don't feel like I'm diminishing anything. I'm giving him credit for staying healthy. When you stay healthy it allows you to win more games and throw more touchdowns and win more rings. Durability aside. I think it's pretty even. They are both the two most clutch quarterbacks all time, they both have 4 rings. When you can maintain the level of play Brady has for so long, That's outstanding. It's something Montana didn't do.

The longevity arguments are hard, because the game is so different now.

For starters, players today have 30 extra years of medical advancement in their favor. Also, player safety is such a huge emphasis, and frankly quarterbacks are kind of coddled these days. Look at some of the unnecessary roughness calls on QBs -- some of them are downright laughable. It is silly to bury our head in the sand and pretend that doesn't play a factor in staying healthy.

I think if Joe Montana played in today's game he probably would've had a longer career. In fact, I think that applies to most players from the 70's/80's. Tom Brady says he will play until his mid-40's -- and I believe him -- but I don't think he would have been able to do that in the 80's. I just don't think his body would've held up to the punishment he would have taken back then. Clearly, his diet, work ethic, consciousness of what he eats, etc plays a big factor, but so does the fact that he isn't subjected to as many violent hits.

It's always hard to compare players across different eras. I think for sure the game is softer now than it was back then, but Montana had things working in his favor too (like no salary cap, so his teams were absolutely loaded).

The longevity arguments are hard, because the game is so different now.

For starters, players today have 30 extra years of medical advancement in their favor. Also, player safety is such a huge emphasis, and frankly quarterbacks are kind of coddled these days. Look at some of the unnecessary roughness calls on QBs -- some of them are downright laughable. It is silly to bury our head in the sand and pretend that doesn't play a factor in staying healthy.

I think if Joe Montana played in today's game he probably would've had a longer career. In fact, I think that applies to most players from the 70's/80's. Tom Brady says he will play until his mid-40's -- and I believe him -- but I don't think he would have been able to do that in the 80's. I just don't think his body would've held up to the punishment he would have taken back then. Clearly, his diet, work ethic, consciousness of what he eats, etc plays a big factor, but so does the fact that he isn't subjected to as many violent hits.

It's always hard to compare players across different eras. I think for sure the game is softer now than it was back then, but Montana had things working in his favor too (like no salary cap, so his teams were absolutely loaded).

Certainly fair and logical assessment. It's definitely hard to compare players across generations

I personally don't feel like I'm diminishing anything. I'm giving him credit for staying healthy. When you stay healthy it allows you to win more games and throw more touchdowns and win more rings. Durability aside. I think it's pretty even. They are both the two most clutch quarterbacks all time, they both have 4 rings. When you can maintain the level of play Brady has for so long, That's outstanding. It's something Montana didn't do.
Of course you are diminishing it you just called them even.
Your bias is showing and there is really no point going further.

Does Montana get credit for the game he played in but has absolutely no memory of because he couldn't read a Jim Burt blitz?

Of course you are diminishing it you just called them even.
Your bias is showing and there is really no point going further.

Well I'll just end on this note. I think Brady is the GOAT. But if someone said Joe was, I have no problem with that. But if Brady gets a 5th there's no debate

When assessing playoff excellence vs Joe Cool, you have stated that Brady's longevity is a heavily weighted, deciding factor in his favor.

I think its more than that.

Taking that into account, hes 12 reg seasons as a starter and 11 in playoffs.

If you are comparing him to Tom, his 4 one and dones hurt him.

It's not even really a conversation anymore. Brady is the GOAT. That much is known to most fans. Hopefully it will be ended once and for all in 13 days.

Dude- please reword. That sounded like TB will be done for good in 13 days. I'm not superstitious but why tempt fate? Think I'll go sacrifice a chicken to appease the gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST