PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today in Patriots History

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most overlooked thing about the Butler pick is just how bad of a play it was by Wilson. No pre-snap read/adjustment, poor decision, worse throw. The Seattle coaching staff takes all the heat for the play call but Wilson's got to recognize the Patriots were all over the play and blew it up immediately. He just fired the ball into Butler's chest. Dope.

"Tonight A Dynasty Is Born, Baby"

Those were Ricky Proehl's ironically prophetic words.

I can remember that even after the kick went through the goal posts I thought there was still time left on the clock ... and in historical Patriot fashion the opponent would find a way to run the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown. Then once I was convinced the Pats won I was hopping up and down like a madman. My two kids were extremely happy at first - until I couldn't stop, and they became slightly terrified, looking around for their mother. Good times...

Sunday February 3, 2002 at 6:40
Super Bowl 36 at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans
New England Patriots 20, St. Louis Rams 17
Head Coaches: Bill Belichick, Mike Martz
Quarterbacks: Tom Brady, Kurt Warner
Odds: Rams favored by 14

Patriots finish the season on a nine-game winning streak and a record of 14-5.
Rams also entered this game on an eight-game winning streak; they finish 16-3.

vinatieri-super-bowl-36.jpg

The Final Drive:

Full Game:

Silence of the Rams, Part II

Sunday February 3, 2019 at 6:30
Super Bowl 53 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta
New England Patriots 13, Los Angeles Rams 3
Head Coaches: Bill Belichick, Sean McVay
Quarterbacks: Tom Brady, Jared Goff
Odds: New England favored by 2

Patriots finish 14-5 and win their sixth Super Bowl
Rams finish 15-4

The 2018 Rams were an offensive juggernaut, ranking second in points scored and total yardage. LA had scored over 28 points 14 times with twelve games of more than 400 yards total offense. The Patriot defense stopped them cold, forcing the Rams to punt on each of their first eight possessions, with five three-and-outs and none of those drives lasting more than five plays.

On the game winning drive Tom Brady went 4-4, completing short passes to the right to Gronk for 18 yards, in the middle to Edelman for 13 yards, then to Burkhead to the left for seven yards. TB12 then went deep to Gronk for 29 yards, and on the next play Sony Michel ran it in from two yards out for the score.

The next possession ended with Stephon Gilmore intercepting a pass intended for Brandin Cooks. From there Michel and Burkhead chewed up most of the remaining time before settling for a game clinching 41 yard field goal by Stephen Gostkowski.

Stephon-Gilmore-interception-Super-Bowl-53-copy.jpg

Highlights:

Mic'd Up:

Final Two Minutes:

y6wh95vcvqlyiebqtueq.jpg

We watched that game at home (with our 6 and 7 year olds at the time) and I sat there stunned as the kick went thru. (I fully expected it to get blocked and returned the other way for a Rams GW touchdown. That was just my mindset then) My wife came in and asked if they lost. When I replied they won she asked why I wasn't jumping up and down. My response," I'm still in shock"....

I can remember that even after the kick went through the goal posts I thought there was still time left on the clock ... and in historical Patriot fashion the opponent would find a way to run the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown. Then once I was convinced the Pats won I was hopping up and down like a madman. My two kids were extremely happy at first - until I couldn't stop, and they became slightly terrified, looking around for their mother. Good times...

The Final Drive:

Full Game:

Should've been at least 2 seconds remaining after the kick...

If you were Bill/Seely, do you have the Vinitraitor kick off as far as he can to give the Lams the ball at the 20, or do you have him line-drive the ball so it touches the ground, kills the clock but risks a return?

We watched that game at home (with our 6 and 7 year olds at the time) and I sat there stunned as the kick went thru. (I fully expected it to get blocked and returned the other way for a Rams GW touchdown. That was just my mindset then) My wife came in and asked if they lost. When I replied they won she asked why I wasn't jumping up and down. My response," I'm still in shock"....
Yeah, my initial reaction was similar. I was convinced there was time left on the clock and in Patriots/Red Sox/Bruins fashion the Rams would run ensuing the kickoff back for a score. After that though I was screaming and jumping up and down nonstop, with my two daughters (7 & 10) gleefully joining in - at first. Then when I wouldn't stop they had frozen fake smiles and slowly backed away, terrified of what was happening to their dad.

My youngest decided to root for the Rams just to pi** me off. To his credit he stayed a Rams fan for years and we even went out ot St Louis to see a few games...... What a dffference. Seats on the 50 yard line front row were $120.00 and the Hyatt hotel near the stadium was $84 with breakfast included.... Grant this was 2009 but still......

James White

February 3, 1997:
The Patriots hire Pete Carroll as head coach.

On the same date Bill Parcells is officially hired as a 'consultant' with the New York Jets. Eight days prior the Patriots lost to Green Bay 35-21 in Super Bowl 31 (1/26/97). Then eight days later on February 11 the charade was dropped and Parcells was named head coach of the Jets. Negotiations between the Jets and Patriots for Parcells - who was still under contract with New England - had been ongoing since January 31, after commissioner Paul Tagliabue ruled that the Patriots still owned the rights to Parcells for the 1997 season.

The hero of the Super Bowl 51 comeback victory over Atlanta is one of several Patriots celebrating a birthday today.

Happy 29th birthday to James White
Born February 3, 1992 in Fort Lauderdale
Patriot RB, 2014-present; uniform #28
Pats 4th round (130th overall) selection of the 2014 draft, from Wisconsin

Patriots.com | James White

Super Bowl Records and Milestones
  • Owner of three Super Bowl rings
  • Holds record for most points in a Super Bowl game (20)
  • Holds record for most receptions in a Super Bowl game (14)
  • Is one of only two players to score a winning overtime championship touchdown, and is the only player to do so in Super Bowl history (Alan Ameche was the only other, back in pre-Super Bowl 1958)

Patriot Franchise Rankings
  • Ranks 8th with 369 career receptions
  • Ranks 13th with 25 career receiving touchdowns
  • Ranks 14th with 3,184 career receiving yards
  • Ranks 16th for most receptions in a single season (87 in 2018)
  • Ranks 17th with 35 career total touchdowns
  • Ranks 19th with 4.0 yards per carry (minimum 250 rushes)

Happy 49th birthday to Tyrone Poole
Born February 3, 1972 in LaGrange, Georgia
Patriot CB, 2003-2005; uniform #38
Signed as a veteran free agent on March 4, 2003

Tyrone Poole was originally a first round draft pick by Carolina in 1995, from Fort Valley State. He started all 16 games in 2003, but was played in only five games over the next two seasons due to a knee injury and then an ankle injury. Poole played in all three 2003 postseason games and earned two super bowl rings with the Patriots. He played in 151 games with 118 starts from 1995 to 2008, with 18 interceptions.

Tyrone Poole to compete on 'American Ninja Warrior' | Patriots.com

Happy 31st birthday to Sterling Moore
Born February 3, 1990 in Antioch, California
Patriot CB/S, 2011-2012; uniform #29
Signed to the practice squad on October 5, 2011

Sterling Moore was originally signed by Oakland as an undrafted rookie from SMU in 2011. He played in 14 regular season games with three starts for the Patriots. During that time Moore had two interceptions, one touchdown, three passes defensed, one forced fumble and on fumble recovery. He also played in three playoff games with three pass deflections and seven tackles (six solo).

Moore is most famous for knocking the ball out of the hands of Lee Evans in the 2011 AFC championship game against Baltimore, then following that up with another pass deflection on the very next play. That led to total lack of composure by John Harbaugh and a hurried field goal attempt by Billy Cundiff from the 14 yard line that sailed wide left by about 20 yards.

Moore later played with Dallas, Tampa and New Orleans, appearing in 75 games with 31 starts over seven seasons from 2011 to 2017, plus seven playoff games.

Happy 41st birthday to Victor Hobson
Born on February 3, 1980 in Englewood, New Jersey
Patriot LB, 2008 offseason; uniform #59
Signed as a veteran free agent on April 7, 2008

Once on the outside, now looking in | Patriots.com

Coincidentally, now that he's a Patriots insider, he's also been moved to inside linebacker. Given the talent of New England's outside 'backers (i.e., Adalius Thomas and Mike Vrabel), Hobson's arrival via free agency gives Belichick and his staff the luxury of inserting an experienced (yet still young) veteran at a position where an infusion of youth and talent is certainly welcome.​
"He had played a lot of outside linebacker the last two years down there," said Belichick during the Pats' recent minicamp. "I think he is a smart guy, runs well, he's got some experience in the system and certainly playing inside. I think he has a good combination of experience, toughness and athleticism to the position."​
Hobson's most productive season as a Jet came in 2006, when he logged 100 total tackles (66 solo), six sacks, and an interception.​

Victor Hobson was one of 14 players released on August 30, 2008. The former second round pick out of Michigan played in 79 games from 2003-2008 with 57 starts and 354 tackles.

Happy birthday to Junior Robinson, who would have been 53 today
Born February 3, 1968 in High Point, North Carolina
Patriot KR/CB, 1990; uniform #27
Pats 5th round (110th overall) selection of the 1990 draft, from East Carolina

David Lee Robinson Jr. played in all 16 games for the Patriots in 1990, primarily on special teams. He was waived at the end of the 1991 training camp, played on WLAF and CFL teams in Sacramento, and spent one more year in the NFL with Detroit. Robinson died in 1995 at the age of 27 in an automobile accident.

Happy birthday to Tony Discenzo, who would have been 85 today
Born February 3, 1936 in Cleveland (1936-2007)
Patriot tackle, 1960; uniform #76

Anthony Discenzo played in eight games in the American Football league's inaugural season; three starts with the Patriots and five games for the Buffalo Bills.

Happy 55th birthday to Glenn Antrum
Born February 3, 1966 in Derby, Connecticut
Patriot WR, 1989-1990; uniform #10
Signed as an undrafted rookie on May 8, 1989

After graduating from Ansonia High School and the University of Connecticut, the New England native was signed by the Patriots in '89. He spent most of the year on what was then called the developmental squad, but was promoted to the active roster for two games - and made it into the record books with one appearance. He now lives in Bristol and has been employed with Coca Cola since 1994, now working as a Market Development Manager.

Happy 62nd birthday to Cris Crissy
Born February 3, 1959 in Penn Yan, New York
Patriot CB, 1981 offseason
Pats 12th round (323rd overall) selection of the 1981 draft, from Princeton

Crissy was cut before the start of the 1981 season, and spent '81-82. A high school teammate of Tony Collins, Crissy is now an executive director with JP Morgan.

Happy 81st birthday to Fran Tarkenton
Born February 3, 1940 in Richmond, Virginia
Pats 5th round (34th overall) selection of the 1961 AFL draft, from Georgia

The scrambling quarterback signed with the NFL's expansion Minnesota Vikings in 1961, and was never part of Patriots organization. The Hall of Fame QB played for 18 years and later became a television commercial pitchman as well as a software executive.

One other pro football player born on this date with a New England connection:

Ed Harrison (1902-1969)
Marshfield, Mass; Boston College
End for the 1926 Brooklyn Lions

Sunday February 3, 2008 at 6:30
Super Bowl 42 at University of Phoenix Stadium
New York Giants 17, New England Patriots 14

the amount of ground that he covered is... WOW

54cf0306eab8eae7322ba36d
Like nearly everyone else on this Board, I've watched more replays than I can count of that play. But I've never seen this particular microsecond captured. Everything is here.
Wilson, who tipped the play by looking at Lockette during the snap count, releasing the ball with his receiver wide open.
Browner breaking up the pick
And, of course, Butler running to where the ball will be, echoing the Great One's famous quote, "go to where the puck is going to be."

The Final Drive:

Full Game:

I had the very good fortune to attend this game. Memories of a lifetime.

Like nearly everyone else on this Board, I've watched more replays than I can count of that play. But I've never seen this particular microsecond captured. Everything is here.
Wilson, who tipped the play by looking at Lockette during the snap count, releasing the ball with his receiver wide open.
Browner breaking up the pick
And, of course, Butler running to where the ball will be, echoing the Great One's famous quote, "go to where the puck is going to be."
And Butler HAD to pick that. If he didn't then Beast Mode has probably two shots to run it in from the one. Crazy.

If I recall correctly the final Carolina TD happened after Eugene Wilson was injured, and Rodney Harrison was playing with a broken arm. In retrospect it was amazing that the Pats were able to win with the secondary that they were forced to use on the field for the 4th quarter. They had guys that had no business being out there at the end like Shawn Mayer and Chris Akins. The miscommunication between Law and Wilson that allowed Muhammed to get wide open for the 85 yard TD didn't help either. But yeah, even with all that it was still a lot closer than it should have been.
I just re-watched it. Thanks for supplying the link. Carolina had two long bombs and one of them came after Rodney went out with his broken arm.

Ty Poole had a rough game and AV missed two chip shots early. I like how Simms disagreed with Carolina going for two earlier in the game. I remember having a discussion about that with a friend at the time. That could have been a much more different ending if the Pats were down by 1 instead of tied.

I often use this thread to go back and watch games. The only one I wanted that I couldn't find was the Pats at Denver game in 2003. That was the one with the intentional safety.

Thanks again.

I watched it with my two sons, both in their early 20's. One had been a HS player and the other wasn't into sports, but I convinced him to go to the last game of the year in Charlotte.

As we sat in separate chairs around the room during the SB, the athlete and I were up and down, fists clenching and unclenching, yelling and screaming with every play, but relieved when the kick went through. When I looked over at my other son he was sitting calmly with his arm resting on the chair and he said, "so this is a big deal huh?" I smiled and said yup, it is.

I only wish their grandfather had lived long enough to see it with us.

If you were Bill/Seely, do you have the Vinitraitor kick off as far as he can to give the Lams the ball at the 20, or do you have him line-drive the ball so it touches the ground, kills the clock but risks a return?
The same situation came up in the 2003 SB vs Carolina. That time AV kicked it to the 1 and they stopped the return. I don't know if it was intentional or that AV couldn't reach the end zone.

1. Married
2. Kid 1
3. Kid 2
4. Kid 3
5. Graduating college
6. 1st job
7. Buying 1st house
8. 1st major promotion
9a. Sb36
9b. 2004 Red Sox

The latter. And don't worry about distance. Get him to place it where it will bobble about and where the ball handler doesn't have six people blocking in front of him. (Of course, that's situational football, so I'm sure they practised it all through the season ... :) )

I just re-watched it. Thanks for supplying the link. Carolina had two long bombs and one of them came after Rodney went out with his broken arm.

Ty Poole had a rough game and AV missed two chip shots early. I like how Simms disagreed with Carolina going for two earlier in the game. I remember having a discussion about that with a friend at the time. That could have been a much more different ending if the Pats were down by 1 instead of tied.

I often use this thread to go back and watch games. The only one I wanted that I couldn't find was the Pats at Denver game in 2003. That was the one with the intentional safety.

Thanks again.
Going for 2 ended up costing Carolina 3 points. They missed going for 2 a second time and forced NE to go for 2 to make it 29-22. Adam’s kick should have been to tie the game, but Fox screwed up big-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back