PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Patriots by Jersey Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Ted Washington wear 92? Wasn't here long enough to be on an all time list... or maybe he should be with the impact he had.
Well, at least I'm not telling him to his face that he's not the most significant #92...

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
I'd put Moss above Francis. Both played only part of their career in New England, but Moss's was far more spectacular.

I'd put Ferric Collons above Agnew for #92, though I think the answer here is obviously Ted Washington.

Could argue Moss and Francis either way, Francis was a great player in his own rite at a completely different era in the NFL.. he was promoted heavily by Howard Cossell as "all world", not sure he was that, but it worked for Francis and the fans.

If I were to start a team of all time greats, Moss would be my choice for receiver.. always wonder how players like Francis would fare in today's NFL.. it is difficult to compare players of different era's as there are so many changes and so many variables.

I do agree about Washington, as because of him learned what a nose tackle is supposed to play like..

Could argue Moss and Francis either way, Francis was a great player in his own rite at a completely different era in the NFL.. he was promoted heavily by Howard Cossell as "all world", not sure he was that, but it worked for Francis and the fans.

If I were to start a team of all time greats, Moss would be my choice for receiver.. always wonder how players like Francis would fare in today's NFL.. it is difficult to compare players of different era's as there are so many changes and so many variables.

I do agree about Washington, as because of him learned what a nose tackle is supposed to play like..
Randy is a one of a kind great hall of famer, he just is. And he played great here.

The heck with Cosell - Russ was truly special on and off the field, and like a lot of his 70's teammates, put the Pats on the map - nevermind the shortcomings of our owner.

It's absolutely no denigration of Randy. But, we might want to consider what it would be like for Francis to be catching balls from Tom Brady...

I'm always a little torn on Bledsoe. He was the best modern QB before Brady, but he had exactly two seasons in New England where he was genuinely good, and a whole lot of seasons where he just hovered around league average in everything but sheer volume of passes put up.

In the playoffs he put up twice as many picks (12) as touchdowns (6) and has a passer rating of 54.9.

That 1996 Super Bowl run he stunk up every game. EVERY GAME he threw more picks than touchdowns, and his highest passer rating was 62.4! And that Super Bowl, woof. 4 picks and a passer rating of 46.6.

QB is so much more important than WR, and Edelman is a good but not historically great or anything, but I dunno.

Randy is a one of a kind great hall of famer, he just is. And he played great here.

The heck with Cosell - Russ was truly special on and off the field, and like a lot of his 70's teammates, put the Pats on the map - nevermind the shortcomings of our owner.

It's absolutely no denigration of Randy. But, we might want to consider what it would be like for Francis to be catching balls from Tom Brady...

Why I said can argue Moss and Francis either way.. IMO Francis was a prototype of today's tight end..

Grogan was good, but no where near #12...

Coincidence, both Gronk and Francis dabble and dabbled in wrestling ventures??..

I'm always a little torn on Bledsoe. He was the best modern QB before Brady, but he had exactly two seasons in New England where he was genuinely good, and a whole lot of seasons where he just hovered around league average in everything but sheer volume of passes put up.

In the playoffs he put up twice as many picks (12) as touchdowns (6) and has a passer rating of 54.9.

That 1996 Super Bowl run he stunk up every game. EVERY GAME he threw more picks than touchdowns, and his highest passer rating was 62.4! And that Super Bowl, woof. 4 picks and a passer rating of 46.6.

QB is so much more important than WR, and Edelman is a good but not historically great or anything, but I dunno.

Much as I love Bledsoe, I'd choose Edelman for #11 as well, especially when you bring up Drew's playoff stats :eek::eek:. Those are downright Peyton Manning-ish. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, and maybe I've got a case of recency bias, but I can't make a case against Edelman's two rings and third most playoff receptions of all time (and with any measure of playoff success this year, he'll be #2 after the '17 season).

Much as I love Bledsoe, I'd choose Edelman for #11 as well, especially when you bring up Drew's playoff stats :eek::eek:. Those are downright Peyton Manning-ish. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, and maybe I've got a case of recency bias, but I can't make a case against Edelman's two rings and third most playoff receptions of all time (and with any measure of playoff success this year, he'll be #2 after the '17 season).

It's not just the rings with Edelman - it was that he was a huge part of winning them.

I was going to comprise a list but googled first being lazy and it being the off season.

All-Time Best New England Patriots by Jersey Number: 1-99

In the author's defense this was written before last season. Perhaps taking Bobby Hamilton who helped win a couple of SBs over Jaime Collins could be in the cards now.

87 is a blessed number between Gronk and Coates.

But my real interest is the author is by default giving #11 and #54 to Bledsoe and Bruschi. I think he's probably still right to do so but after the playoff that Edelman and Hightower had it's probably at least a debate. How much more would either have to do IYO to edge out their predecessors?

It's still the offseason for those who find these types of topics inane and really there is no right or wrong answer. I think some might even take real exception to Bledsoe still owning #1 for #11.

Love me some Edelman but Bledsoe is in a different class. Face of a franchise that was a laughing stock at the time. Love the guy to this day even though he will always be the afterthought as a QB to TB12.

54...Hightower is a fantastic player and I am thrilled we have him. No Pats player comes close to Bruschi for me. It's him, and TB12 at the top of my favorites.

#25 Has to be Larry Whigham.

I was going to comprise a list but googled first being lazy and it being the off season.

All-Time Best New England Patriots by Jersey Number: 1-99

In the author's defense this was written before last season. Perhaps taking Bobby Hamilton who helped win a couple of SBs over Jaime Collins could be in the cards now.

87 is a blessed number between Gronk and Coates.

But my real interest is the author is by default giving #11 and #54 to Bledsoe and Bruschi. I think he's probably still right to do so but after the playoff that Edelman and Hightower had it's probably at least a debate. How much more would either have to do IYO to edge out their predecessors?

It's still the offseason for those who find these types of topics inane and really there is no right or wrong answer. I think some might even take real exception to Bledsoe still owning #1 for #11.

simply put, Bruschi is untouchable. Scrappy underdog that made himself into a great LB, face, heart and soul of the dynasty. As much as Hightower makes the big play in big games...Bruschi did it even more

Edelman needs to put up Wes Welker numbers to have a chance of taking over Bledsoe. For 8 years Drew was the Patriots. He was why you tuned in to watch him throw to Coates and Glenn. He was what carried that team under Parcells and Pete.

His impact on the franchise has been unfortunately diminished by Brady, but make no mistake...without Drew they are the St Louis Patriots

simply put, Bruschi is untouchable. Scrappy underdog that made himself into a great LB, face, heart and soul of the dynasty. As much as Hightower makes the big play in big games...Bruschi did it even more
Bruschi was more lovable. Hightower is a better football player.

Edelman needs to put up Wes Welker numbers to have a chance of taking over Bledsoe. For 8 years Drew was the Patriots. He was why you tuned in to watch him throw to Coates and Glenn. He was what carried that team under Parcells and Pete.
He was a .500 QB who played small when the stakes got big. Sure it was fun to watch the offense throw them all a lot but Edelman contributes to rings. Easy Choice.

His impact on the franchise has been unfortunately diminished by Brady, but make no mistake...without Drew they are the St Louis Patriots
100% wrong. Kraft didn't buy the team because of drew Bledsoe.

Bruschi was more lovable. Hightower is a better football player.

He was a .500 QB who played small when the stakes got big. Sure it was fun to watch the offense throw them all a lot but Edelman contributes to rings. Easy Choice.

100% wrong. Kraft didn't buy the team because of drew Bledsoe.

1. Wrong. Bruschi was the more complete and better LB. He was also the QB of the best defenses we've had in the run and was the leader on D.

Bruschi................................Hightower

90 tackles per 16 games.....96 tackles per 16 games
12 int...................................0 int
30.5 sacks...........................17 sacks
17 forced fumbles...............2 forced fumbles
4 defensive td.....................1 defensive td

and yeah, Drew was a .500 QB because the teams he was on were not good. Outside of 2 of the Parcells years he was on bad teams and had to do a lot on his own. Put him on a team with a good coaching and a properly built team and his record skyrockets.

and Kraft didnt single handedly keep the Patriots here, despite the narrative. It was the trio of Kraft, Parcells and Bledsoe. Without Drew, the #1 overall pick and QB of the future, Parcells doesnt come here. Without those 2 this franchise is not what it is today. They laid the groundwork

Didn't Ted Washington wear 92? Wasn't here long enough to be on an all time list... or maybe he should be with the impact he had.
Ted was THE BEST nose tackle we ever had even better than Vince. I'll go with Ted.

Awesome list, with very few quibbles. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I have:
#22: Ron Burton (one of original Pats, plus I can't get over Samuel dropping the interception and then jogging to help out Harrison on the Helmet catch play)
#30: Mosi Tatupu (though Carl Garrett was a very good player on a bad Pats team)
#60: Lenny St. Jean (very steady player)
#72: Larry Eisenhower (one of all time AFL stalwarts, this was by a SLIM margin over Matt Light)
#77: Tom Neville (by a hair over Nate Solder)
#82: Dan Graham (very underrated by non-Pats fans, loved his one on one blocking in the Carolina SB).
Please spare me Lenny St. Jean and Tom Neville. They were not good. I still have nightmares of the PA announcer "HOLDING, NUMBER 77. Agree on Daniel Graham. I still miss him on the WHAM play wiping out unsuspecting DT's. I'll go with Light but this might be another tie. Forgot about Carl Garrett, guess we have to go with Mosi for sentimental reasons but Garrett was really good. Same with Burton over Samuels

- Bledsoe over Edelman, pretty easily at this point
- Martin over Dillon, even just Pats achievements Martin wins. ROY and 2x Pro Bowl, 3799 yds vs 3180 yds, 3x 1000 yd seasons, vs 1x
- Moss for 81:

Moss: 51 games, 259 rec, 3904 yds, 50 td
Russ: 92 games, 207 rec, 3157 yds, 28 td
I'll go with Martin definitely and I don't care for Moss at all, I don't even consider him a football player. Russ and several others way over him.

91 - Bobby Hamilton?

82 - Jim Whalen?

77 - Tom Neville??

66 - Lonie Paxton...thinkin' snow angels...

60 - Len St. Jean ("The Boston Strongboy")

Thanks for compiling a great list. Can't be expected to be perfect, but you nailed most of it. Some tough competition for some of those #'s.
Yes on Hamilton and Paxton and maybe Whalen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back