PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans "More Aggressive" than Patriots For Hopkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Word is that the Patriots have made a contract offer to Hopkins. It will be interesting to see if he takes it.

Don't see him taking less money, the Titans are Patriots are in the same bracket fringey middlers who could win 7 games or squeak into the playoffs.

Word is that the Patriots have made a contract offer to Hopkins. It will be interesting to see if he takes it.

thought they already offered him a contract when he came to the stadium, and we've just been waiting for him to make his decision or for a team to budge and up their price

Have a source? Did we increase our initial offer, or was there never an initial offer?

Pats are the odds on favorite to land both Hopkins and Cook. This would be very surprising and I'd be curious how the board responds to adding Cook considering what's he's done off the field.

I dont think we need Cook, but he would still improve the team overall

thought they already offered him a contract when he came to the stadium, and we've just been waiting for him to make his decision or for a team to budge and up their price

Have a source? Did we increase our initial offer, or was there never an initial offer?

I saw it on Twitter, but it looks like you are right and they had made an offer at the end of June

Don't see him taking less money, the Titans are Patriots are in the same bracket fringey middlers who could win 7 games or squeak into the playoffs.

I don't see it that way. The Titans with Tannehill have a higher floor and lower ceiling. The Titans are a "fringey middling" team in my estimation. The Pats with Mac could break out in his third year, like Allen and others, or continue to struggle leaving the Pats with a lower floor and higher ceiling. I don't think the Titans surprise, the Pats will surprise one way or the other, up or down.

I don't see it that way. The Titans with Tannehill have a higher floor and lower ceiling. The Titans are a "fringey middling" team in my estimation. The Pats with Mac could break out in his third year, like Allen and others, or continue to struggle leaving the Pats with a lower floor and higher ceiling. I don't think the Titans surprise, the Pats will surprise one way or the other, up or down.
They play in a much easier division and there's no proof other than blind faith that Mac Jones is even as good as Ryan Tannehill.

So the Titans who have way more less cap than the Pats have made a more aggressive offer. Sounds like they’re being cheap

They play in a much easier division and there's no proof other than blind faith that Mac Jones is even as good as Ryan Tannehill.

Agreed. And there is no proof, except blind skepticism, that Mac Jones is even as bad as Ryan Tannehill. You may have misread or misunderstood my post. If you are confused by what I posted, please ask me to clarify my post.

Even if some want to say Mac isn't as good as tannehill

Overall the Patriots offense Hopkins would be going into is better than the Titans.

Besides derrick Henry they don't have much.

Pats have Juju/parker/Bourne/Henry/gisecki
And a budding running back star in Stevenson.

Camp has not opened yet.

That is when signing Hopkins gets real.

That doesn't make much sense. Teams wouldn't want Hopkins learning the playbook and to be there for camp?

If teams are clamoring for Hopkins they would be clearing space for him NOW. Or at least bring him in for a visit. So far only the Titans and Patriots have. And are the only 2 teams to offer him a contract.

I don't get your thinking that there's this robust market. All those other teams know what the Titans and Patriots offered likely. And none really seem to care.

Right now the only teams that make sense from a cap and cash standpoint to really add to the team are the Bears, Cardinals, Lions, Cowboys, Patriots, and Vikings. Minnesota has a big extension to consider and are more likely to be slashing that spending. Arizona is in more of a retooling process. That leaves a market of four teams for free agents. Dragging other teams into the mix requires convincing a team to even go further beyond their norms to keep adding. You can see why it is very difficult for street free agents to get lucrative deals this late in the process and why summer free agent signings are usually signed for very cheap.

What does this mean for Hopkins, Dalvin Cook, Yannick Ngakoue, Jadeveon Clowney, and so many others still out there searching for a home? Most will now have to focus on finding incentive laden contracts with base salaries that are lower than any contract they have had since they were rookies. There is still time and perhaps some of them will land a big deal but eventually the market will vanish and players can be stuck on the outside looking in hoping for injuries to give them a chance to land with a team during the season.

So the Titans who have way more less cap than the Pats have made a more aggressive offer. Sounds like they’re being cheap

I read reports as the Titans being more aggressive in trying to get Hopkins to sign. That doesn’t mean they offered more or at least a lot more. They could just be in more contact with Hopkins while the Pats made their offer and are letting Hopkins come back to them.

I read reports as the Titans being more aggressive in trying to get Hopkins to sign. That doesn’t mean they offered more or at least a lot more. They could just be in more contact with Hopkins while the Pats made their offer and are letting Hopkins come back to them.
ThTs certainly possible.

Sounds like our style.
I think when Mayo takes over as HC Judon should have some role in the front office to recruit free agents.

That doesn't make much sense. Teams wouldn't want Hopkins learning the playbook and to be there for camp?

If teams are clamoring for Hopkins they would be clearing space for him NOW. Or at least bring him in for a visit. So far only the Titans and Patriots have. And are the only 2 teams to offer him a contract.

I don't get your thinking that there's this robust market. All those other teams know what the Titans and Patriots offered likely. And none really seem to care.
Does Hopkins have the NE playbook.

Nope

A few reality check facts on Dhop:

-Teams are not exactly falling all over themselves to sign him at all costs, as if he were still an unstoppable playmaker.
- AZ let him go with zero compensation
- He is 31 years old
- Ran a 4.57 40 at combine pre first year (slow as molasses)
- 3 years since last season he had over 100 catches on a team where he was clearly the #1 offensive threat and target
- has not had more than 8 TD catches in a season since 2018
- Hopkins a good short and intermediate receiver versus man and zone coverage
- He is not a deep threat and will not stretch the field
- He previously did not hold BoB in high regard (maybe that has changed)
-When in AZ he had a reputation for frequently missing practices and telling his critics to "watch him play" if they did not like him missing practices (sounds like Allen Iverson's famous "we talking about practice...not a game speech")
-I thought it was weird that he and his PR entourage let the story about bacon in his chowder "slip out"..seems like they are prepping Boston for the decision

I think he would help the team and MAC as a reliable short and intermediate route tree guy, but do not think he is worth paying more than 10 million/ year max 2 years).
He is not Randy Moss or Justin Jefferson or Wes Welker or Julian Edelman
He has clearly demonstrated in public forums his ambivalence about joining the patriots

Just saying, it's not the end of the world if he signs with Titans or another team (e.g. chiefs). He is not the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. If he does not sign, use the money for a solid dependable RB to share the load with RS.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2

ThTs certainly possible.

Or Hopkins' agent could be exaggerating and "leaking" the reports as a form of negotiation to try to get the Patriots to increase their offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes