PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Titans kidnapping Dion Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a surprise, but...this has been a painful couple of days.

And frankly I think it would be a big mistake to break the bank for Cooks. Because BB uses me as a high-paid consultant, I won't be surprised if he is gone soon too.

Cap space in March has literally ZERO to do with whether or not they can afford to take a risk of having an injury guy on the field come the start of the season.

Tying up the $5M and not being able to use it to sign other people when you need to keep as much money as possible around to pay Solder is part of that "RISK". But, hey, you think "logically".. :rolleyes:o_O

My bad, the contract has changed since initially reported.

No worries.. I hadn't seen them posted..

While I love Dion, I doubt he'd have re-signed here if the Pats offered him that. And there is a good chance the Pats didn't ask to match the offer after Dion was grumbling about how he was used. Though, I agree that the play-calling in the SB regarding him and White was silly.. Calling White to run the ball up the middle when that's not his forte and Lewis was successful doing it just made no sense..

His grumbling about the start of the year left a lot to be desired though. The Patriots clearly wanted to make sure he was available by the end of the year and didn't want to over-use him.
I wish him well with the Titans where he won't be the primary RB for them.

Bill is becoming strangely senile in a sense.

Nothing he’s doing is making any sense. It’s the first time I’m starting to wonder if he’s even trying to build the best team possible, or if he’s just f*cking with everyone’s heads at this point.

Kidding or serious? If serious then switch to decaf.
There's a lot of factors that go into who gets signed, for how much, this year-next year, per position spending, available cap, chances of cheaper replacement production, drafting. cast off/JAG signings. Fyi, Dion Lewis several years ago was a cast off and Malcolm Butler was a bubble player.
BB may be making some mistakes and may be not. However, the sometimes frantic and sometimes overpayment of the opening of free agency doesn't. per se, equal what the season will end up as. If it did then Snyder and the Skins would have 3 SBs in a row to their names.

Come camp we will have a better idea. Until then you can dislike these moves all you want but stop pretending a week or two of free agency equals BB is senile or making no sense. That's silly (and that's putting it nicely).

Bill is becoming strangely senile in a sense.

Nothing he’s doing is making any sense. It’s the first time I’m starting to wonder if he’s even trying to build the best team possible, or if he’s just f*cking with everyone’s heads at this point.

Danny Shelton was a nice trade. That filled, imo, the number one need on defense. I'm sure there's more to come.

Danny Shelton was a nice trade. That filled, imo, the number one need on defense. I'm sure there's more to come.
In my opinion, all three levels need to be addressed. As we know, this isn’t likely to happen with big splash signings; hence the Shelton trade. When all is said and done by this summer, we will see additions through the draft and a few free agent signings on both sides of the ball. The return of injured players will help a lot.

Ultimately, I still think small, 2 year extensions to both Brady and Gronk would be the two biggest moves of the offseason. I realize the risk involved, but I think these players are special and that you need to keep them happy. They are the faces of the franchise. We can talk about all of the other moves, but something needs to be done to smooth those situations over. Retaining Solder would also go a long way, as well as even a guy like Burkhead.

Ultimately, I still think small, 2 year extensions to both Brady and Gronk would be the two biggest moves of the offseason. I realize the risk involved, but I think these players are special and that you need to keep them happy.

I think some moves that will create additional cap room and/or clarity are already done, signed (or agreed to in principle) and waiting to be filed. Dont underestimate how showing a somewhat tight cap number throughout the early FA phase can have an impact to save some money here and there.

It is the perennial "shiny beads" period of NFL signings, lots of sexy decisions by teams with a lot of salary cap room... all the while the powerhouses NEP, Pitt, Seattle etc all remain relatively quiet, watching the market and filling key holes..

Interesting how people are quick to criticize BB as the GM, the same guy who led this team to 11 AFC Championship games... he is not sleeping on this team, he is planning and looking at all options..

Right after the draft there will be the predictable threads about who won the off season, I prefer who will wins the regular season..

Did BB re-up his binky Jordan Richards:rolleyes: yet?? He's going to be a Huge signing for us.... The GM BB I tell ya. :confused:

No,” Hitler” hasn’t made any big moves like that yet:

I'll miss Dion, really liked him, but if we are able to resign Solder, I'm good!!!

No worries.. I hadn't seen them posted..

While I love Dion, I doubt he'd have re-signed here if the Pats offered him that. And there is a good chance the Pats didn't ask to match the offer after Dion was grumbling about how he was used. Though, I agree that the play-calling in the SB regarding him and White was silly.. Calling White to run the ball up the middle when that's not his forte and Lewis was successful doing it just made no sense..

His grumbling about the start of the year left a lot to be desired though. The Patriots clearly wanted to make sure he was available by the end of the year and didn't want to over-use him.
I wish him well with the Titans where he won't be the primary RB for them.
Why do you doubt that?

I'm fine with the pattern of the Patriots finding hidden gems (like Butler) or rehabbing overlooked players (like Lewis), getting a few years out of them at low cost to the cap, then those players making a fortune in big contracts from other teams. It maintains the order of things. Hard to watch them leave, but in terms of managing a talent budget, the Pats are doing the right thing, year after year.

Unbelievable. Dola gone Butler gone Lewis gone Solder all but gone.. Mean while BB and friends sit on their hands. Letting Lewis walk is a mistake. I would of love for dola to stay .

My wife is a Titans fan and loving these moves. But I still don't see Mariota taking them to the next level.

I wonder what the CAP total next year would be for all the Patriot players who were on the team last year, but left in free agency. Garrapollo, Butler, Lewis, Amendola, ...

Well. I crawled into a 12 pack of Sam Addams after all that. Went to a dispensary and made my own personal jihad

It's a good thing they didn't spend that money on Lewis. If they had, they might have lost Solder, because of the cap....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes