PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tiquan released; Ocho active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont get why some of you are getting bent out of shape that some people feel bad for the guy. Regardless of whether he was going to play or not it still has to suck to him. For the better of the team or whatever but I still feel bad for the kid.

Until you know for sure why he was release then there is no reason to suggest I torture cats. Speculation and opinion is what this whole forum is about. I never suggested that Underwood pulled a Stanley Wilson; it could have been something as simple as missing a meeting or it could be nothing at all. I am just speculating; I am free to do that eh?

In my mind it does not add up. Why was he not released two weeks ago. Releasing him now is very bad timing for a number of reasons. It is a distraction to the team and humiliating to Underwood; I don't think we are getting the full story. I think that the full story will come out; maybe tomorrow or maybe months from now...

The full story: Silvestro is more likely to help this game than Underwood.

Fred, please. I know it's Super Bowl weekend and everyone is going a bit stir-crazy. But seriously, this does add up. Follow the logic (I'm not sure all this is true, but it makes perfect sense):

1. BB had an idea that he probably would prefer to have an extra DL in the game because he's already discussed in the past about how important that is to keep guys fresh in the SB.

2. Gronk got hurt and BB wanted to see his progress before deciding if he would play on special teams or not.

3. Based on (1) and (2), it looks like BB realized there was a need for an extra DL that could also take Gronk's spot on special teams. Voila - they have such a guy in Silvestro.

4. In order to put Silvestro on the active roster, they need to cut someone. Who is available to cut? The best option is someone that you can afford to lose not only in the short term (i.e., someone who wasn't going to be active in the SB) but also in the long run (i.e., someone who was essentially a practice squad level player and not a Ron Brace or something like that). Voila - they have such a guy in Underwood.

5. They were probably making some contingency plans from the moment the final gun sounded in Baltimore, especially vis-a-vis Gronk's injury. But, because of the waiver rules, if they had made this move too soon, the Giants *could* potentially have claimed Underwood. Moreover, if they do this too soon, they don't have full information about Gronk. So they needed to wait as long as possible.

6. Thus, Underwood is cut as late as they really can. Probably with the understanding that, hey, we like you and we want you back, but this is a move we had to make for the following reasons: A, B, and C.

Underwood's classy response seems to indicate that he "gets it". There's probably a pretty good chance that they give him a sideline pass or, at worst, good seats for the game. Yeah, big bummer, but if they win he'll get a ring, he'll get paid (Kraft will pay him, if nothing else for the PR), he'll participate in the duck boat parade, and he'll be given every chance to play for them next year.

Now, is all of that above true? I don't know and neither does anyone else. But it's a perfectly, completely, totally sensible scenario. There is no need to suspect BB of a "cold heart" or of some conspiracy theory. They just needed a different body and had to cut someone to make it happen.

Believe it or not, cuts right before the Super Bowl have happened before.

Thanks Ivan, I was of the "Bad Karma" thinking, even though you are right about us not knowing the story behind this, I'll take yours and run with it because
1. It's a senible theory, and
2. It makes me feel better :rocker:

Its whats best for the team. The Pats only have 2 TEs. 3 if you want to count Solder.

Plus, adding Silvestro plays right in to the Gronk being hurt soap opera.

Undewood's situation is no different than 7 other teammates who have or will find out their dream of playing in a Super Bowl will not come true because they will be inactive for the game. He probably will be signed to a futures contract in the next few days and will be part of the team during the off-season. Who knows. He looked good at time and could make next year's team. Silvestro will play a role on special teams and provide some needed depth behind mark Anderson and Rob Ninkovich at OLB/DE. It is also a smart business move. Being on the practice squad, Silvestro would be totally free to sign with other teams and his college coach is now the HC of the Buccaneers. Now, he is an exclusive free agent, at least, who's not free to go anywhere.

I can't believe all the pearl clutching over this. Sheesh.

Just wait until the Giants get a first down. The gnashing of teeth and wailing will be unbelievable. The only question is, now that the Negative Nancys can't say "a defense like this will NEVER make the Super Bowl", is what will they say?

Again all of this depends on strategy and match-ups. None of us have any clue what they're going to do.

Yes the Patriots have been a passing team with an offensive attack centered around 2 TE's. Do they have to be that tomorrow considering one of their TE's might be injured, ineffective and is completely irreplaceable?

No. There's no rule that says they have to be that.

All I'm saying it's likely one of the guys that are game time decisions. And that includes Gronk. So look there. It's most likely someone on that list.

So you expect the Patriots to cut a WR before they know if they will be shorthanded at receiver?
All your anything can happen rambling in place of admitting you are wrong doesnt cover that up.

I dont get why some of you are getting bent out of shape that some people feel bad for the guy. Regardless of whether he was going to play or not it still has to suck to him. For the better of the team or whatever but I still feel bad for the kid.

It's not about feeling bad for the kid. It's about 34 pages of generic board level histrionics - nevermind on the eve of ANOTHER super bowl appearance - over the kind of move Bill makes almost every saturday in season in an effort to field a team in the best position to win the god damn game on Sunday. It's not ever about making the 53rd player on the roster or fans (and mediots) who wouldn't recognize the kid if he tripped over them if not for his hightop haircut feel all warm and fuzzy.

This site has certainly achieved dominance in it's little message board niche market if the goal was to be the home of the mentally weakest, most argumentative, hyper sensitive yet chronically miserable, kneejerk bandwagon fans on earth. Planet could only muster 3 pages on the same compelling topic...

Here on patsfans.com it always has to be something...even on Super Bowl Sunday.

Last edited:
It's not about feeling bad for the kid. It's about 34 pages of generic board level histrionics - nevermind on the eve of ANOTHER super bowl appearance - over the kind of move Bill makes almost every saturday in season in an effort to field a team in the best position to win the god damn game on Sunday.

I'd say:rocker:

So you expect the Patriots to cut a WR before they know if they will be shorthanded at receiver?
All your anything can happen rambling in place of admitting you are wrong doesnt cover that up.

I love how you keep telling me I'm wrong every time you disagree.

How can one be wrong on pure admitted speculation of a future event?

Even if you took it as some sort of fact, shouldn't you at least wait until it happens?

Fred, please. I know it's Super Bowl weekend and everyone is going a bit stir-crazy. But seriously, this does add up. Follow the logic (I'm not sure all this is true, but it makes perfect sense):

1. BB had an idea that he probably would prefer to have an extra DL in the game because he's already discussed in the past about how important that is to keep guys fresh in the SB.

2. Gronk got hurt and BB wanted to see his progress before deciding if he would play on special teams or not.

3. Based on (1) and (2), it looks like BB realized there was a need for an extra DL that could also take Gronk's spot on special teams. Voila - they have such a guy in Silvestro.

4. In order to put Silvestro on the active roster, they need to cut someone. Who is available to cut? The best option is someone that you can afford to lose not only in the short term (i.e., someone who wasn't going to be active in the SB) but also in the long run (i.e., someone who was essentially a practice squad level player and not a Ron Brace or something like that). Voila - they have such a guy in Underwood.

5. They were probably making some contingency plans from the moment the final gun sounded in Baltimore, especially vis-a-vis Gronk's injury. But, because of the waiver rules, if they had made this move too soon, the Giants *could* potentially have claimed Underwood. Moreover, if they do this too soon, they don't have full information about Gronk. So they needed to wait as long as possible.

6. Thus, Underwood is cut as late as they really can. Probably with the understanding that, hey, we like you and we want you back, but this is a move we had to make for the following reasons: A, B, and C.

Underwood's classy response seems to indicate that he "gets it". There's probably a pretty good chance that they give him a sideline pass or, at worst, good seats for the game. Yeah, big bummer, but if they win he'll get a ring, he'll get paid (Kraft will pay him, if nothing else for the PR), he'll participate in the duck boat parade, and he'll be given every chance to play for them next year.

Now, is all of that above true? I don't know and neither does anyone else. But it's a perfectly, completely, totally sensible scenario. There is no need to suspect BB of a "cold heart" or of some conspiracy theory. They just needed a different body and had to cut someone to make it happen.

Believe it or not, cuts right before the Super Bowl have happened before.

OK OK. What you says seems reasonable; I hope that it what it is. I really do. It just seems so cruel and heartless; this is what players dream of their whole career and then to have it snatched away at the last second...ugh. [Hmmm I have been on dates like that...]

It's understandable people feel for Tiquan, tweeting him would be a better gesture IMO. Below is one of his tweets from this morning regarding fans and support.

@TiUnderwood
THANK YOU To Everyone Supporting/Wishing Me Well (Fam,Friends,Ppl Who Dont Kno Me Personally) To Those Happy About What Happen...God Bless U

just a suggestion, peace

Last edited:
maybe ochocinco has finally figured out enough of teh playbook to play. Maybe they went over it in the past month with all the time off and he now gets it. Or maybe they have dumbed it down somewhat for his routes. Give him only a couple options instead of like 5.

So I predict Ochocinco faces single coverage and burns them for 3 TDs in the first half before they adjust.

Um, the Giants could sign him right now with the Pats gameplan already set. If they released him two weeks ago, they would have had time to alter the plan.

No. They couldn't. Underwood has to clear waivers. And there is no signings on Sunday.

This isn't a "cold" thing to do. If all the Receivers are healthy, but they have D-line getting the flu, adding Silvestro is a smart move to ensure that they have good rotation.

OK OK. What you says seems reasonable; I hope that it what it is. I really do. It just seems so cruel and heartless; this is what players dream of their whole career and then to have it snatched away at the last second...ugh. [Hmmm I have been on dates like that...]

Calling BB cruel and heartless without all the facts is nothing short of cruel and heartless, Oh saintly one.

I love how you keep telling me I'm wrong every time you disagree.

How can one be wrong on pure admitted speculation of a future event?

Even if you took it as some sort of fact, shouldn't you at least wait until it happens?

Because there is no possibility that the events that have occured mean that Gronk isn't going to play. There is no possible way that they would cut a WR if one of their only 2 TEs wasn't going to play.
Again, your argument is like saying they cut Hoyer and thats proof that Brady won't be playing.

Because there is no possibility that the events that have occured mean that Gronk isn't going to play. There is no possible way that they would cut a WR if one of their only 2 TEs wasn't going to play.
Again, your argument is like saying they cut Hoyer and thats proof that Brady won't be playing.

You honestly believe there is no possibility that a player who is a game time decision, will not play?

I didn't say this was proof of anything, other than the fact they appear to be bolstering a completely different side of the team. And that does happen quite often. Your logic is sound, but it doesn't mean it's the only one that fits.

All I'm saying is anybody on that game time decision list, is fair game to be one of the possible inactives, and yeah, personally for me, even Gronk wouldn't be a major surprise.

Last edited:
There are some rumors floating around that he may have broken team rules with a girl at some point last night or the night prior.

Calling BB cruel and heartless without all the facts is nothing short of cruel and heartless, Oh saintly one.

What is equally cruel and heartless is allowing this trainwreck of a thread (no offense to the OP, who knew...although assuming the worst here has become nearly a given) to continue to pollute this site on the morning of a Super Bowl the team folks here purport to be fans of is actually playing in...

The media let this one go fairly quickly... The only folks who won't are jealous trolls and kneejerk fans who think a lot like them and care what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes