PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tiquan released; Ocho active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember inside the name of Silvestro lies letters that spells out 'Silver'......as in the Lombardi Trophy which is silver.

It's all in the plans of the master.

According to people here BB doesn't care about what the best interests of the team are. He's also a bastard for not cutting TQ two weeks ago and giving the kid an experience of a lifetime (one he may never have again).

And while he was pretending to be nice and happy all week long to the media, he was secretely planning to cut an irrelevant WR on the eve of the Superbowl just to prove how cold and evil he really is. Darth hoodie cometh. In fact, he also made sure that TQ wouldn't get a ring, game check, and wouldn't even be in the team photo to show his family and friends that he contributed to this special season.

Ak03oHfCMAA1O2T.jpg:large

Oh wait...

In Bill I trust.

Last edited:
I think you might be on to something --- this is why bill's been in such a great mood all week.
thinking about cutting the guy.

Underwood's agent, Ethan Lock, told NESN.com's Jeff Howe that New England didn't provide an explanation as to why his client was cut

If this kid was let go strictly as a "business" decision then this would have been one of the coldest things in Super Bowl history. They cut the guy the day before the Super Bowl with no explanation. Basically walked up to him and said, "you're off the team. See ya."

Belichick might be gruff but he is anything but a cold-hearted jackass. Even if he didn't want to break the news to the kid he would have had a coach do it. He would have had someone explain that we "needed" to do this.

He wasn't cut because of any "need." It was done because he broke the single biggest "rule" of being a New England Patriot - It's about the "team" and not about "you." We had two of the biggest "spotlight hogs" in the NFL come here in the last few years, Ochocinco & Moss, and you barely heard a peep out of them. They KNEW the Pats didn't put up with that crap. If you want it to be about YOU, then find another team.

When the kid came in with his "hey look at me" haircut and got his picture plastered all over the Web, and in newspapers and magazines, that did not sit well. With Belichick, with Brady, or with any true Patriots player who puts the team before themselves. I don't have to be a "psychic" to know that. I just had to be a Patriots fan with an IQ above 3.

For two weeks all the players have gone out of their way to downplay everything going on. Everyone except for a 24-year-old bit player who clearly never "got the memo." HE became the story because he decided to go out and get a crazy haircut solely because it would get him noticed. There was NO other reason for that haircut. It served no other purpose. He could have come in with a Patriots face tattoo or wearing a Patriots cheerleading outfit and the ONLY difference would have been the size of the "stir" it caused. Nothing else.

There is NO WAY that went over well with most of his coaches and teammates. Maybe nobody said a word to him, but I find that hard to believe. Even if not, there was no way he could have missed that certain people weren't too happy about it. Belichick & Brady are just two of the guys who wouldn't hesitate to let a young bit player know how well that went over. They wouldn't hesitate to let ANY player know. Neither one is shy about letting Patriots players know what they are feeling regarding upcoming games.

And if they made it clear they weren't happy that he had turned himself into a dog & pony show when the entire team was busting their tails to low-key everything, and he still kept the haircut (hard to chop it off when it got him a ton of attention on the biggest stage in sports when he wasn't even going to get to dress for the game), then he was "gone" as soon as a day or two passed. More likely, he was gone the second they saw it.

There was no way they were going to cut him right away. Not only because NY would probably pick him up, but because HE would then become an even bigger story. All we'd be hearing about is how "mean" Belichick was, and how he cut a kid and cost him the dream of a lifetime because he didn't "dig his haircut. The last thing Bill wanted, after going out of his way to be cheerful and "relaxed" and to not cause any commotion, was to have every sports page in the country and every "media mouth" as well, talking about what a mean and heartless "haircut hater" Bill Belichick was.

That kid was likely "gone" the second he showed up sporting that haircut, but he wan't told to "get lost" until the day before the game. Too late for him to get picked up by NY and with very little time for it to turn into a "spotlight sucking" story. They canned him without saying a word because they wanted to make it clear to him exactly why he was no longer a New England Patriot (and I doubt he will ever be again). They had no intention of making this any easier for him. He kicked the Patriots in the teeth and they kicked back. He put himself above the team. Even a superstar like Tom Brady doesn't do that, and some "kid" is going to waltz in here and scream, "hey, look at me?" I don't think so.

Cutting him on "Super Bowl Eve" was cruel as hell. It was meant to be. It not only sent a message to Underwood, more importantly it sent a message to the entire team that the 2 weeks pf "fun and games" was over and now it's time to do what we came here to do. Kick the Giants' butt. And anyone who doesn't buy into that single-minded idea, don't let the door smack you on the way out.

These boys play rough. And tomorrow the NY Giants are going to find out just how rough that is.

Last edited:
sounds like more...........:gossip:

15+ hours to go

Last edited:
If this kid was let go strictly as a "business" decision then this would have been one of the coldest things in Super Bowl history. They cut the guy the day before the Super Bowl with no explanation. Basically walked up to him and said, "you're off the team. See ya."

Belichick might be gruff but he is anything but a cold-hearted jackass. Even if he didn't want to break the news to the kid he would have had a coach do it. He would have had someone explain that we "needed" to do this.

He wasn't cut because of any "need." It was done because he broke the single biggest "rule" of being a New England Patriot - It's about the "team" and not about "you." We had two of the biggest "spotlight hogs" in the NFL come here in the last few years, Ochocinco & Moss, and you barely heard a peep out of them. They KNEW the Pats didn't put up with that crap. If you want it to be about YOU, then find another team.

When the kid came in with his "hey look at me" haircut and got his picture plastered all over the Web, and in newspapers and magazines, that did not sit well. With Belichick, with Brady, or with any true Patriots player who puts the team before themselves. I don't have to be a "psychic" to know that. I just had to be a Patriots fan with an IQ above 3.

For two weeks all the players have gone out of their way to downplay everything going on. Everyone except for a 24-year-old bit player who clearly never "got the memo." HE became the story because he decided to go out and get a crazy haircut solely because it would get him noticed. There was NO other reason for that haircut. It served no other purpose. He could have come in with a Patriots face tattoo or wearing a Patriots cheerleading outfit and the ONLY difference would have been the size of the "stir" it caused. Nothing else.

There is NO WAY that went over well with most of his coaches and teammates. Maybe nobody said a word to him, but I find that hard to believe. Even if not, there was no way he could have missed that certain people weren't too happy about it. Belichick & Brady are just two of the guys who wouldn't hesitate to let a young bit player know how well that went over. They wouldn't hesitate to let ANY player know. Neither one is shy about letting Patriots players know what they are feeling regarding upcoming games.

And if they made it clear they weren't happy that he had turned himself into a dog & pony show when the entire team was busting their tails to low-key everything, and he still kept the haircut (hard to chop it off when it got him a ton of attention on the biggest stage in sports when he wasn't even going to get to dress for the game), then he was "gone" as soon as a day or two passed. More likely, he was gone the second they saw it.

There was no way they were going to cut him right away. Not only because NY would probably pick him up, but because HE would then become an even bigger story. All we'd be hearing about is how "mean" Belichick was, and how he cut a kid and cost him the dream of a lifetime because he didn't "dig his haircut. The last thing Bill wanted, after going out of his way to be cheerful and "relaxed" and to not cause any commotion, was to have every sports page in the country and every "media mouth" as well, talking about what a mean and heartless "haircut hater" Bill Belichick was.

That kid was likely "gone" the second he showed up sporting that haircut, but he wan't told to "get lost" until the day before the game. Too late for him to get picked up by NY and with very little time for it to turn into a "spotlight sucking" story. They canned him without saying a word because they wanted to make it clear to him exactly why he was no longer a New England Patriot (and I doubt he will ever be again). They had no intention of making this any easier for him. He kicked the Patriots in the teeth and they kicked back. He put himself above the team. even Tom Brady doesn't do that, and some "kid" is going to waltz in here and scream, "hey, look at me?" I don't think so.

Cutting him on "Super Bowl Eve" was cruel as hell. It was meant to be. It not only sent a message to Underwood, more importantly it sent a message to the entire team that the 2 weeks pf "fun and games" was over and now it's time to do what we came here to do. Kick the Giants butt. And anyone who doesn't buy into that single-minded idea, don't let the door smack you on the way out.

These boys play rough. And tomorrow the NY Giants are going to find out just how rough that is.

This is one of the stupidest things I've read here, and I've lurked here long enough to read some pretty stupid things.

That kid was likely "gone" the second he showed up sporting that haircut, but he wan't told to "get lost" until the day before the game. Too late for him to get picked up by NY and with very little time for it to turn into a "spotlight sucking" story. They canned him without saying a word because they wanted to make it clear to him exactly why he was no longer a New England Patriot (and I doubt he will ever be again). They had no intention of making this any easier for him. He kicked the Patriots in the teeth and they kicked back. He put himself above the team. Even a superstar like Tom Brady doesn't do that, and some "kid" is going to waltz in here and scream, "hey, look at me?" I don't think so.

Cutting him on "Super Bowl Eve" was cruel as hell. It was meant to be. It not only sent a message to Underwood, more importantly it sent a message to the entire team that the 2 weeks pf "fun and games" was over and now it's time to do what we came here to do. Kick the Giants' butt. And anyone who doesn't buy into that single-minded idea, don't let the door smack you on the way out.

With all respect Gator, I think you may be seriously overanalyzing the situation. I doubt that Tiquan Underwood has been in the spotlight too much, and I am guessing that his haircut had nothing to do with it, lol ;)

Underwood was cut b/c this team has made personnel moves many times on the day before the game, and this game should be no different.

The 2nd reason is due to Gronk's ankle and his inability to play ST's tomorrow. We promoted Silvestro as a wedge setter and to possibly provide rotation in a 'long' game which will be played indoors. Keeping the front seven fresh will also be a big priority when considering the circumstances, and we all know how the Indy dome can drain you with heat etc.

For those concerned Bill overlooked something like the Giants picking him up:

The Giants cannot claim Underwood and put him on their roster because the transaction was made on a Saturday.

Tiquan Underwood cut on eve of Bowl - BostonHerald.com

Now you can stop worrying that Bill's a moron. Giants will have to wait until Monday when he clears waivers. And Patriots will probably sign him right back considering they said they do want him back next year. This is like the nth time they have done something like this.

Now will people please stop disrespecting Bill by suggesting they actually thought of something as obvious as that and assume he would miss it. And everyone else in the Patriots organization.

Last edited:
With all respect Gator, I think you may be seriously overanalyzing the situation. I doubt that Tiquan Underwood has been in the spotlight too much, and I am guessing that his haircut had nothing to do with it, lol ;)

Underwood was cut b/c this team has made personnel moves many times on the day before the game, and this game should be no different.

The 2nd reason is due to Gronk's ankle and his inability to play ST's tomorrow. We promoted Silvestro as a wedge setter and to possibly provide rotation in a 'long' game which will be played indoors. Keeping the front seven fresh will also be a big priority when considering the circumstances, and we all know how the Indy dome can drain you with heat etc.

The glaring problem is that Google News already has 230+ stories about this and how incredibly "cold" and "bizarre" it was. And none of them that I looked at even mentioned the fact that not a single staff member even cared enough to tell this kid why "we had to do this."

Everyone knew what a big deal this was to the kid. The world knew. So how come the Patriots staff had no idea? Why couldn't some, say the person who went to the trouble of telling him he was off the team, just mention "we needed another D lineman" or whatever other "reason" all the experts here are claiming.

That's just common courtesy. The kid busted his tail for this team. He didn't deserve the "simple explanation" everyone here seems to believe there was. Dogs get treated better than that.

He was thrown off the team and it was done in as cold and heartless a manor as possible. Belichick isn't an idiot despite what many of you want to believe. He has very specific reasons for every single move he makes, and the way in which he makes them.

The kid wasn't told why. That didn't happen by "accident." If they told him "why" then it would become the huge story they were trying to avoid, and 24 hours before kickoff.

If you all think Belichick is that much of an idiot, and that he's so cold and heartless he wouldn't even bother to explain why he needed to do this instead of letting the kid walk away with no idea, then you also must think all the other coaches are just as pathetic as well. It only takes 2 seconds to say "it's nothing you did wrong, it was because of a different need we have." Very simple. Say it as you're walking him to the door. Unless, of course, you definitely don't want him to think it was because of a 'roster need" we have.

You guys paint a wonderful picture of our coaches. :rolleyes:

We'll see if he gets re-signed in a couple days.

Last edited:
This is one of the stupidest things I've read here, and I've lurked here long enough to read some pretty stupid things.

I don't think his suggestion is stupid. It fits in with the Patriots and Bill's personality. But I don't think that was the reason. If that was the case he would have been asked to cut his hair the day he did it to put a stop to the attention that day, and then probably cut him anyway. For all we know he did that because he knew he was going to get cut and wanted a bit of attention. They may have been totally cool with it.

Who the hell knows? And who cares? And why is it enough to get all heated over it? People speculate far too much over nothing.

Last edited:
The glaring problem is that Google News already has 230+ stories about this and how incredibly "cold" and "bizarre" it was. And none of them that I looked at even mentioned the fact that not a single staff member even cared enough to tell this kid why "we had to do this."

Everyone knew what a big deal this was to the kid. The world knew. So how come the Patriots staff had no idea? Why couldn't some, say the person who went to the trouble of telling him he was off the team, just mention "we needed another D lineman" or whatever other "reason" all the experts here are claiming.

That's just common courtesy. The kid busted his tail for this team. He didn't deserve the "simple explanation" everyone here seems to believe there was. Dogs get treated better than that.

He was thrown off the team and it was done in as cold and heartless a manor as possible. Belichick isn't an idiot despite what many of you want to believe. He has very specific reasons for every single move he makes, and the way in which he makes them.

The kid wasn't told why. That didn't happen by "accident." If they told him "why" then it would become the huge story they were trying to avoid, and 24 hours before kickoff.

If you all think Belichick is that much of an idiot, and that he's so cold and heartless he wouldn't even bother to explain why he needed to do this instead of letting the kid walk away with no idea, then you also must thing all the other coaches are just as pathetic.

You guys paint a wonderful picture of our coaches. :rolleyes:

We'll see if he gets re-signed in a couple days.

The media is insanely desparate for their "one last gasp story" on the eve of the SB...this is what they have to work with.

No one has any idea if Underwood was given an explanation or not. I am certainly guessing that they don't normally divulge such explanations regarding their thoughts or gameplanning moves, especially pertaining to personnel.

I think what they did was great, and the polar opposite of 'cold-hearted.' They made a move on a Saturday (which they've done a million times, so that the opposing team cannot put in a claim for him), and he also was able to enjoy the whole SB atmosphere all week long too.

I am almost certain that they'll pick him back up on Monday regardless of the outcome of the game.

This is honestly a non-story on every level, but the media will portray "the evil and heartless Patriots" anyway they possibly can.

1. They wanted him in practice for those two weeks.
2. They decided sometime in the past few days that they needed a spot.
3. They didn't want to give away that they would be adding a practice squader to the roster.
4. They don't want the Giants to claim him so they can sign him again on Monday.
5. They didn't know how ready Ochocinco would be.

At least ONE of those should be enough to make you drop this.

Spot on.

Obviously this is a coldly logical move. I feel bad for TU while feeling good for AS. Yet nobody should be surprised BB would do this. When it comes to achieving victory, he operates in a coldly calculating way. It won't win him any 'most liked coach of the year' awards but the W-L results are excellent. So the ultimate question isn't about BB but about the fans. Do you prefer a coach who squeezes out every small drop of advantage he can though it means moves like this? Or would you prefer a coach who will forgo some of the small advantages for the sake of being a 'warmer' coach?

I hope BB had a good talk with TU and worked it out as well as possible.

No one has any idea if Underwood was given an explanation or not.

That was the entire basis of my post.

It was the ONLY thing I quoted before I went into my theory.

here it is again:

Underwood's agent, Ethan Lock, told NESN.com's Jeff Howe that New England didn't provide an explanation as to why his client was cut

The ability to so easily recognize stupidity is impressive. Does that work anything like what gays claim to have with their "gaydar?"

The media is insanely desparate for their "one last gasp story" on the eve of the SB...this is what they have to work with.

No one has any idea if Underwood was given an explanation or not. I am certainly guessing that they don't normally divulge such explanations regarding their thoughts or gameplanning moves, especially pertaining to personnel.

I think what they did was great, and the polar opposite of 'cold-hearted.' They made a move on a Saturday (which they've done a million times, so that the opposing team cannot put in a claim for him), and he also was able to enjoy the whole SB atmosphere all week long too.

I am almost certain that they'll pick him back up on Monday regardless of the outcome of the game.

This is honestly a non-story on every level, but the media will portray "the evil and heartless Patriots" anyway they possibly can.

While I agree that the Media is eager to continue its portrayal of the BB's Patriots as heartless/evil/unlikable, I actually don't think the media is going to have to put any effort into framing this story. The dry, accurate headline 'Patriot Player cut less than 24 hours before the Super Bowl' is all that is needed. Most of the the general public, in general, does not delve into the nuances of a story. They'll read that headline, a visceral reaction will take place, the public's sentiment regarding BB's move is now forever decided. Whether there is or isn't sound reasoning behind BB's move is now largely inconsequential.
Winning will make this a largely forgotten story (winning cures many ills). Losing will make this story a symptom of a deservedly unlikable coach/team.

In "Education of a Coach", Belichick says he felt he did a crappy job in the SB against the Panthers. The reason for this is he felt he didn't bring enough Defensive linemen into the game, and this eventually came back to bite him as his defense got worn out in the 4th quarter.

Yikes. I refer to that often, but I always say it was Philly.

Senility is a scary thing ... :eek:

Last edited:
While I agree that the Media is eager to continue its portrayal of the BB's Patriots as heartless/evil/unlikable, I actually don't think the media is going to have to put any effort into framing this story. The dry, accurate headline 'Patriot Player cut less than 24 hours before the Super Bowl' is all that is needed. Most of the the general public, in general, does not delve into the nuances of a story. They'll read that headline, a visceral reaction will take place, the public's sentiment regarding BB's move is now forever decided. Whether there is or isn't sound reasoning behind BB's move is now largely inconsequential.
Winning will make this a largely forgotten story (winning cures many ills). Losing will make this story a symptom of a deservedly unlikable coach/team.

Nobody will care except for the butt hurt fans of other teams that need ammunition while basking and munching on their own hatred for this team.

The rest will have moved on.

But I really fail to see why a good leader making sound decisions deserves not to be liked. Same for the team. Not sure if that's what you meant by that statement but I can't agree with something like that.

That was the entire basis of my post.

It was the ONLY thing I quoted before I went into my theory.

here it is again:

Settle down there buddy, we're all on the same team.

All I am saying is that I doubt his haircut had anything to do with it.

As you said, we don't know for sure one way or another IF there was any kind of explanation given or not; so I won't buy into the whole 'media hype' thing one way or another.

If there wasn't one given (which there probably wasn't), it's for good reason(s). Those reasons are:

1. He's freaking Tiquan Underwood. A reserve player who anyone hardly even knows, and someone who didn't receive many snaps or targets all year.

2. BB does not normally go out of his way to send messages down through the guys that cut the players. It's not like he called him into his office and failed to give him an explanation. He sent word through an employee.

3. No explanation is needed, when you make the same kind of personnel move on a Saturday that you've made all year.

4. When you're a member of this team, you trust what they tell you to do is the best decision.

I agree that they won't have to do much to add to it, but at the same time they won't say anything pertaining to it that makes any sense--which is just as bad.

1. We need depth on the defensive line, due to the heat and longer game, particularly indoors. The media however, won't bother to explain that.

2. We have made these types of moves before almost every single game on a Saturday all season long; but you won't hear the media explaining that. They won't explain that they normally make Saturday moves to prevent the signing by other teams, who must now wait until Monday.

3. Gronk's injury affects the ST's unit, and Silvestro will likely take over his role. I can only guess that no one will bring that up though.

Any one of these explanations would be just fine, to help fill in the casual viewer or fan, but since they are always trying to make the evil-Patriots out to be the 'bad guys,' we will not hear about any kind of reasonable explanation...and that's just as bad as building the story up. Actually, it's the same exact thing on many levels.

Settle down there buddy, we're all on the same team.

All I am saying is that I doubt his haircut had anything to do with it.

As you said, we don't know for sure one way or another IF there was any kind of explanation given or not; so I won't buy into the whole 'media hype' thing one way or another.

If there wasn't one given (which there probably wasn't), it's for good reason(s). Those reasons are:

1. He's freaking Tiquan Underwood. A reserve player who anyone hardly even knows, and someone who didn't receive many snaps or targets all year.

2. BB does not normally go out of his way to send messages down through the guys that cut the players. It's not like he called him into his office and failed to give him an explanation. He sent word through an employee.

3. No explanation is needed, when you make the same kind of personnel move on a Saturday that you've made all year.

4. When you're a member of this team, you trust what they tell you to do is the best decision.

Of course his haircut had something to do with it. But not the haircut itself. The fact that he shaved the Patriots logo in his hair. He was the 2nd person to do that in the playoffs this year, and it didn't look nearly as good as Foster's. We're not trying to be 2nd in anything. If he would have been the 1st, it would have been a different story. ;)

But really...Professionally done.
610x.jpg

Matches up damn well...
images

What the hell is this?
patshaircut.jpg

The mouth is closed!
timthumb.php

And for good reason. Not to mention that's just one of the many other things wrong with it. Time to switch barbers Underwood.

PS: And Foster still got made fun of for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe