PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time To Consider Contract Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon man. This post screams of being a hindsight GM. (all the moves that look like home runs so far, I would have made all along, and the rest of them I wouldn't have done in the first place) But at least be realistic about it.

1. You would have traded Brady in the middle of an MVP season, and the 49ers would gladly hand over one of their young offensive weapons to land Brady.

2. You would have drafted 3 WRs in the top 50 picks, yet still gone after Gordon and tried to also get Parker.

3. You would have traded for multiple veterans like Atkins and Coleman (and Parker) without saying what it would take for those teams to pull the trigger, considering they never traded them.

Again, it's just not real. If you gave an example of one or two things you would have done different, I'd listen. But this post is like me saying if I could do the 2000 draft all over again, I would still drafted Brady, but all the other picks would have been the guys that made the most all pro teams. It's easy to do now, but simply not truthful before the fact.
Fair response but go back a bit when Hightower was visiting teams I said to sign the Brown brothers I called them back then.
Ive been advocating the Gordon trade for years.
When news came out before the draft Parker could be on the trade block I said we should call.
I advocated for Kittle and Gesicki for Patriots before their respected drafts.
A number of us wanted Vacarro when free agency began.
I said that we should go after Fowler change of scenery.
When the rams had Quinn on the trade block I was more than bummed out when the dolphins made a great move.
I loved Avery coming out of the draft.
More than half the board loved Darius Leonard.
Ive been on record as a Jimmy G believer.
The Pats could of got a 1st and Kittle for Brady easily.
We know they got a first for Cooks they could of easily got a second for Gronk by reports or even more.
Gesecki living in PA I knew him well.
A 1st rounder for runningback was shocking and most pundits had a linked to Kerryon Johnson or Smith who is thriving in Atlanta.
I was on record as a trade Brady guy and yes I would of traded him.
I hope im wrong and MVP Brady shows up.

That's what most posters here said in the last offseason. Belichick disagreed is paying Allen much more.

I still think there is a place for a player with his skillset on the team but obviously at a lower salary. Somewhere in the range of 2.2m-2.8m APY (which puts him 500k-1m above what Develin is paid).

Fair response but go back a bit when Hightower was visiting teams I said to sign the Brown brothers I called them back then.
When news came out before the draft Parker could be on the trade block I said we should call.
When the rams had Quinn on the trade block I was more than bummed out when the dolphins made a great move.
We know they got a first for Cooks they could of easily got a second for Gronk by reports or even more.
A 1st rounder for runningback was shocking and most pundits had a linked to Kerryon Johnson or Smith who is thriving in Atlanta.

Funny how BB wanted to Trade Gronk but haven't Drafted a capable TE in years??:confused: I want to know what exactly was the back-up plan if that came to fruition??:confused:

Moves I would of made if I was the decison maker.
Would of traded TB when Lynch called.
Would of traded both Cooks and Gronk when Rams called.
Would of never resigned Hightower.
Would of traded for Fowler would of traded for robert Quinn would of signed Vacarro
Would of asked for Kittle in the TB trade.
Would of still got Gordon brilliant move.
Would of drafted Ridley.
Would of traded for Geno Atkins
Would of traded for Sheldon Rankins
Would of got very athletic at linebacker thru the draft free agency and trade.
We made little to no effort to do this players were out there.
I would of drafted Christian Kirk.
Would of never took a runningback in the first round.
Trent Brown move brilliant.
I would of never resigned Burkhead too injury prone.
Would of drafted a runningback in the third or fourth round.
Would of tried to trade for Devante Parker.
Would of drafted Cortland Sutton.
Would of drafted Gerald Avery.
Drafted Mike Gesecki.
If BB did what he reportedly wanted to do and blow it up.
It would look alot brighter in New England than it currently does.

So quick recap
Jimmy G with White Hill say Kerryon Johnson Develin Kittle Gesecki Allen Hollister?
Edelman Gordon Ridley Parker Sutton Kirk,Dorsett
Same O line we currently have.
D line Robert Quinn, Dante Fowler Sheldon Rankins Geno Atkins Trey Flowers Deatrich Wise.
I propose as opposed to Michel we could of potentially traded for my binkie Tevin Coleman.
I have nothing against Michel love him just not in the 1st with the injury history third would of been perfect.
But I digress that would be Kerryon Johnson.
So the linebacker Loved Avery coming out of the draft hell of a player.
Linebackers Genard Avery Jawhan Bentley
said before would of gone Preston Brown over Hightower so Brown
This one will hurt Gruger Hill should of never been cut
Darius Leonard Dorian Odaniel Zach Brown
That would of been my d line and linebackers.
Secondary Gilmore is perfect Chung Mccourty Harmon Vacarro I really like the potential of JC Jackson Mccourty is a good stop gap no real complaints here.
Gost can stay
Punter would of kept the Rookie Corey.

Thoughts?
Had the Pats not traded JG mid season last year, would BB had thought it was the right time to actually trade Brady during the off-season if Brady was truly angry?

You and I both wanted Ridley.

If they acquired Brown a few days earlier, do they still take Wynn?

I hope they’ve learned their lesson with Burkhead and just cut ties with him.

Kittle is going to be one of the best TE’s in the league.

I wouldn’t have traded Gronk last off-season but now I would.

I think they should’ve tried to trade for Fowler as well to help out Flowers.

Funny how BB wanted to Trade Gronk but haven't Drafted a capable TE in years??:confused: I want to know what exactly was the back-up plan if that came to fruition??:confused:
I don’t think it was anything since they still didn’t add a TE.

This team is in dire need of a home run draft.

And that can happen if sentimental GM BB stop shopping for the Groceries...Our Scouting like our Front Seven needs a complete overhaul. Our our Roster aside from The GOAT and a couple of others is full with mediocrity.

Last edited:
Had the Pats not traded JG mid season last year, would BB had thought it was the right time to actually trade Brady during the off-season if Brady was truly angry?

BB had the inside track on Kittle how he slipped through boggles the mind.:confused: Kittle must have slept with one of those Pats Scouts Girlfriends. :rolleyes:

Wish we made the decisons.

That's what most posters here said in the last offseason. Belichick disagreed is paying Allen much more.

I don't see your point. Allen is making less than he was supposed to and not more. He was supposed to have a 5m cap hit and after the restructure it was reduced by 1.2m. That is a paycut of about 25%.

Could they have asked for even more to make it closer to what I am expecting (2.8m instead of 3.8m) ? Sure, but there is a balance between how much of a pay cut you can ask him to take and the risk of losing your blocking TE.

Finally, I pulled the numbers kinda out of my ass based on what Develin is making. If BB is fine with a cap hit of somewhere around 3.5-4m then so be it. I simply think that the role he is filling is valuable.

And that can happen if sentimental GM BB stop shipping for the Groceries...Our Scouting like our Front Seven needs a complete overhaul. Our our Roster aside from The GOAT and a couple of others is full with mediocrity.
Some of their best drafts were when BB brought in Floyd Reese. It has been very bad since.

BB had the inside track on Kittle how he slipped through boggles the mind.:confused: Kittle must have slept with one of those Pats Scouts Girlfriends. :rolleyes:
Good point. I think he was busy trying to find the next great Rutgers player. lol.

Depends on what tender the Pats offer. The first round tender amount is only about $4.4M, and I can't see another team giving up a 1st-rounder for Jones.
So, you would rather Jones play for $4.4M than sign him to a long term contract?

So, you would rather Jones play for $4.4M than sign him to a long term contract?

Not at all. I'm merely demonstrating that the Pats can easily protect him from other teams' offer sheets very cheaply while negotiating a longer term deal (assuming that negotiations take long enough to make the use of the tender prudent). The 2nd-round tender ($3.11M) might even do the trick.

Gordon might be a slightly different story.

True, you have been pushing for the Gordon trade, among others listed, for a while. To be fair though, there's many, MANY moves you've been pushing for that you didn't list. What about Dez Bryant? You and others pushed for him for a while. Are you now cherry picking the roster suggestions that look best?

To me, it's like someone that hates a draft pick the Pats make, and names 6 or 7 players he would taken instead. Well, two years down the road, if the Pats player didn't work out, the player that has seen the most success almost always ends up becoming the player he would have takrn instead.

Also, it's understandable if you don't think we should have re-signed Burkhead because of his injuries. But you also listed 3 players currently on IR on your projected current roster.

True, you have been pushing for the Gordon trade, among others listed, for a while. To be fair though, there's many, MANY moves you've been pushing for that you didn't list. What about Dez Bryant? You and others pushed for him for a while. Are you now cherry picking the roster suggestions that look best?

To me, it's like someone that hates a draft pick the Pats make, and names 6 or 7 players he would taken instead. Well, two years down the road, if the Pats player didn't work out, the player that has seen the most success almost always ends up becoming the player he would have takrn instead.

Also, it's understandable if you don't think we should have re-signed Burkhead because of his injuries. But you also listed 3 players currently on IR on your projected current roster.
Again showing I'm not saying I'm perfect or a a czar but I was saying I'd like the makeup of the team and players with those ideas.
Again that's me personally.
I did like Dez Bryant and so did Sean Payton.
That's not bad company.

Trey Trey Trey Trey Trey! Love the guy.

Regards,
Chris

Watch the Pats let Trey go, then sign Seattle's Tre Flowers just to eff with us.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back