PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time To Consider Contract Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dwayne Allen 7.4 million? My goodness. Probably the least talented 8 mil per year player I have ever seen
That’s not even the most egregious number. The Colts paid him $12 million in 2016 and then traded him the next offseason.

Moves I would of made if I was the decison maker.
Would of traded TB when Lynch called.
Would of traded both Cooks and Gronk when Rams called.
Would of never resigned Hightower.
Would of traded for Fowler would of traded for robert Quinn would of signed Vacarro
Would of asked for Kittle in the TB trade.
Would of still got Gordon brilliant move.
Would of drafted Ridley.
Would of traded for Geno Atkins
Would of traded for Sheldon Rankins
Would of got very athletic at linebacker thru the draft free agency and trade.
We made little to no effort to do this players were out there.
I would of drafted Christian Kirk.
Would of never took a runningback in the first round.
Trent Brown move brilliant.
I would of never resigned Burkhead too injury prone.
Would of drafted a runningback in the third or fourth round.
Would of tried to trade for Devante Parker.
Would of drafted Cortland Sutton.
Would of drafted Gerald Avery.
Drafted Mike Gesecki.
If BB did what he reportedly wanted to do and blow it up.
It would look alot brighter in New England than it currently does.

So quick recap
Jimmy G with White Hill say Kerryon Johnson Develin Kittle Gesecki Allen Hollister?
Edelman Gordon Ridley Parker Sutton Kirk,Dorsett
Same O line we currently have.
D line Robert Quinn, Dante Fowler Sheldon Rankins Geno Atkins Trey Flowers Deatrich Wise.
I propose as opposed to Michel we could of potentially traded for my binkie Tevin Coleman.
I have nothing against Michel love him just not in the 1st with the injury history third would of been perfect.
But I digress that would be Kerryon Johnson.
So the linebacker Loved Avery coming out of the draft hell of a player.
Linebackers Genard Avery Jawhan Bentley
said before would of gone Preston Brown over Hightower so Brown
This one will hurt Gruger Hill should of never been cut
Darius Leonard Dorian Odaniel Zach Brown
That would of been my d line and linebackers.
Secondary Gilmore is perfect Chung Mccourty Harmon Vacarro I really like the potential of JC Jackson Mccourty is a good stop gap no real complaints here.
Gost can stay
Punter would of kept the Rookie Corey.

Thoughts?

Are you serious ?

We are at 7-3, had winning streak of 6, beating the allegedly best team in the league despite consistently shooting ourselves into the foot. What exactly is your idea of it being dark ? I think you are in for a surprise once this run ends what dark times really mean.

In terms of your thoughts the only thing that comes to my mind is that it seems more like a collection of talent than building a team that fits a scheme. But you put some thought and work into it so good for you even if "some" of it smells like hindsight.

Not sure who exactly those very athletic LBs are that were available to us without a premium during the draft (remember you want Ridley) or in FA. Any names you want to share with us ?

Last edited:
Belichick trembles at your Monday Morning QB genius.

Are you serious ?

We are at 7-3, had winning streak of 6 beating the allegedly best team in the league despite consistently shooting into your own foot. What exactly is your idea of it being dark ? I think you are in for a surprise once this run ends what dark times really mean.

In terms of your thoughts the only thing that comes to my mind is that it seems more like a collection of talent than building a team that fits a scheme. But you put some thought and work into it so good for you.

Except maybe for this part. Not sure who exactly those very athletic LBs are that were available to us without a premium during the draft (remember you want Ridley) or in FA.
You know hes a gloom and doom poster.

You know hes a gloom and doom poster.

Yes but since he actually put some time and thought into his post I thought I would try to start a real back and forth and not just dismiss it. At the very least you gotta appreciate effort..

Would of traded for Fowler would of traded for robert Quinn would of signed Vacarro
Would of drafted Ridley.
Drafted Mike Gesecki.

So quick recap
Jimmy G with White Hill say Kerryon Johnson Develin Kittle Gesecki Allen Hollister?
D line Robert Quinn, Dante Fowler Sheldon Rankins Geno Atkins Trey Flowers Deatrich Wise.
I propose as opposed to Michel we could of potentially traded for my binkie Tevin Coleman.
I have nothing against Michel love him just not in the 1st with the injury history third would of been perfect.
Secondary Gilmore is perfect Chung Mccourty Harmon Vacarro I really like the potential of JC Jackson Mccourty is a good stop gap no real complaints here.
Gost can stay

Thoughts?

C'mon man. This post screams of being a hindsight GM. (all the moves that look like home runs so far, I would have made all along, and the rest of them I wouldn't have done in the first place) But at least be realistic about it.

1. You would have traded Brady in the middle of an MVP season, and the 49ers would gladly hand over one of their young offensive weapons to land Brady.

2. You would have drafted 3 WRs in the top 50 picks, yet still gone after Gordon and tried to also get Parker.

3. You would have traded for multiple veterans like Atkins and Coleman (and Parker) without saying what it would take for those teams to pull the trigger, considering they never traded them.

Again, it's just not real. If you gave an example of one or two things you would have done different, I'd listen. But this post is like me saying if I could do the 2000 draft all over again, I would still drafted Brady, but all the other picks would have been the guys that made the most all pro teams. It's easy to do now, but simply not truthful before the fact.

Duplicate post. Computer issues.

Dwayne Allen 7.4 million? My goodness. Probably the least talented 8 mil per year player I have ever seen

At least Allen is in the positive in the yardage department.:D BB needs to leave the grocery shopping to somebody else and just Coach.

Jon Jones please. Flies under the radar a bit, but a solid role player for us.

Both Gordon and Jon Jones are RFA for 2019. No point in extending them now, and doing so would inevitably decrease current cap space by a significant amount.

Both Gordon and Jon Jones are RFA for 2019. No point in extending them now, and doing so would inevitably decrease current cap space by a significant amount.

Missed that JJones is a RFA. In that case I will take him out of my "goner" category, obviously.

I wouldn’t extend allen. Yes, the coverage has been awful and its hard for me to tell just how bad HE has been, but its not hard to bring in some competition or use a low round pick to upgrade

Honestly, when everything is taken into account - beyond mere gross and net distance averages which, out of context, are extremely misleading - Allen has been very good for his $2M cap hit (13th highest-paid in the league).

However, he's not irreplaceable if his contract demands go over the Pats' limit.

Yes but since he actually put some time and thought into his post I thought I would try to start a real back and forth and not just dismiss it. At the very least you gotta appreciate effort..
I agree. Chris does put thought in this posts but 90% of them are either not system fits or off-the -wall panic-stricken moves.

I hope he stays but I see some team offering him too much for us to match

Depends on what tender the Pats offer. The first round tender amount is only about $4.4M, and I can't see another team giving up a 1st-rounder for Jones.

That’s not even the most egregious number. The Colts paid him $12 million in 2016 and then traded him the next offseason.

Worth keeping in mind that the Pats traded for that contract.

Would of drafted Ridley.
Drafted Mike Gesecki.

So quick recap
Gost can stay

Thoughts?

No disrespect, but I'm pretty happy that you're not the decision-maker.

Or the grammar instructor.

I'll pass on this and leave it to BB. He has done an above average job over the years with the Pats.

Go Pats

McCourty ($9.5M)
Gronk ($10M)
Hightower ($5.375M)
Allen ($7.4M)
Clayborn ($4M)

Are all likely gone without re-doing their contracts IMO. That would free up $36M and give us $62M to rebuild, starting with Flowers.

Another candidate would be Van Noy at $4.75M savings and Cannon at $4.75M.

They could open up serious cap room (and serious holes on the roster) depending how they feel about these guys.

(all numbers from overthecap.com)

Gronk IMO will retire.
HT is a much better player than he was 4 weeks ago. I don't know if we can find a better FA for 5.375M and he is a team captain and all. Without Gronk, DMac and others they will lack a leader ... I would keep him
Ak Allen for a big paycut. Something like 4M. Add some incentives so he can get some of that money back. Bring a vet TE and add another one via draft.
I would never cut or trade Cannon, he is a steal for 4.75M. KVN is pretty decent and he cap is ok for his production.
I would cut Slater and Ebner. I would love to draft a P. That would save 7.2M.

7.5M(Slater + Ebner + Ryan Allen) + 10M (Gronk) + 2.5M (DA Paycut) = Sign Flowers and Dorsett for that money.

McCourty money i would use to sign Eric Reid. I don't know if that's a popular take but dude is still young and he is a damm good S.

Extend J McCourty 5M /Brian Schwenke / Albert McClellan / LaAdrian Waddle / Stephen Gostkowski 4.3M

Doing that they will have $6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes