PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For Mayo To Be A DC

It would hilarious Mayo becoming famous more famous with his new commercials, yet lil’ Steve gets the DC position and credit.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Just some babes watching a bad football team.
They were the friends with Jenn Sterger (who was cut off in your photo), who was made famous in the early 2000’s by announcers who then got a gig with the Jets who then got the pee pee pics from Brett Favre.

Mayo has exactly zero qualifications to be a special teams coordinator right now. All but three current NFL ST coordinators worked as assistant ST coaches at the NFL level first. Darren Rizzi had 8 years of college ST experience and got his first NFL ST coordinator job from a HC that he worked for at the college level. Rich Bisaccia had 14 years of college ST experience. Danny Smith was hired directly to the ST coordinator job in 1995.

It is the same road the BB travelled early on, an opportunity under the direction of BB to learn... anything is better than last year.

Why do they need to appoint a DC? Mayo reminded us last week the 2021 D was 3rd in points allowed and 7th in yards allowed?

No improvement in the D is necessary at all. That the last two times they played their division’s champion they didn’t force one punt is insignificant based on their lofty statistical status.

No improvement in the D is necessary at all.
I think I misread your post.

Mayo shouldn’t be appointed because he points to the rankings and said they don’t need to improve?

We got destroyed by Jonathan Taylor and I think about how we were spared from playing Henry and Chubb. Our secondary will be fine, but our front 7 is a problem. We have a stud in Barmore and a single edge threat in Judon. Everything else can be improved.
Taylor had one good run at the end of the game.. Hardly the "destroyed" you want people to believe. NOW, that being said, we DO need to get better up front. EVERYONE has said this. Especially with HT, Bentley, and Collins gone. Most people want a big body to put next to Barmore. Names like Jordan Davis and Travis Jones have been tossed around. The Pats ALSO need LBs because they have a ton of ??? at that position.

Personally, I want them to dump Van Noy because he was a liability for most of the year. He regularly free-lanced and THAT is why he didn't answer the question about Judon. Because he knew he'd have to implicate himself. His free-lancing led to a huge TD in the Dallas game.

The Patriots also need help at Corner even if they retain Jackson. Mills is better suited to safety than he is the #2 spot. It will be interesting to see how Jonathan Jones does coming back from his shoulder injury. Shaun Wade is a wild card. Can he play the slot? Can he play outside? Can he play both? JoeJuan Williams had a decent year. Myles Bryant was mediocre and really not cut out for handling slot duty.

DT, Edge, CB2, LB, LB, CB4.

The 2 LBers need to be able to go sideline to sideline. McMillan, I think, will be able to do this. The Pats loved him and gave him an extension despite being injured. McGrone is a wildcard here.

We don't know anything about what Perkins can bring as a Stand-up LBer. Maybe that's how the Pats are going to use him as an edge player. I don't know..

I think Jennings will go down as another bust, unfortunately.

Where did you get that Mayo doesn't want to be a coordinator?
You read the same interviews I did.

Here’s the quote “I know I can lead people,” Mayo said. “I know I can set a vision; come to a shared vision between different stakeholders, and we can all go after a common goal. This goes back to the skill sets. So when people ask me, ‘Is your goal to be a defensive coordinator?’ My goal is not to be a defensive coordinator. My goal is to be a head coach. My goal is to work across the team – offense, defense, special teams. That’s what I enjoy.”

Did you really think after reading them he wants to have that type of responsibility focusing on one aspect? I think if pressed into it he might do it, but he wants to be able to focus on every aspect of running a football organization. He wants to be cross trained. It’s very thoughtful of him.

You read the same interviews I did.

Here’s the quote “I know I can lead people,” Mayo said. “I know I can set a vision; come to a shared vision between different stakeholders, and we can all go after a common goal. This goes back to the skill sets. So when people ask me, ‘Is your goal to be a defensive coordinator?’ My goal is not to be a defensive coordinator. My goal is to be a head coach. My goal is to work across the team – offense, defense, special teams. That’s what I enjoy.”

Did you really think after reading them he wants to have that type of responsibility focusing on one aspect? I think if pressed into it he might do it, but he wants to be able to focus on every aspect of running a football organization. He wants to be cross trained. It’s very thoughtful of him.
He said he doesn't want to be a DC for another team. That doesn't mean he won't accept it for the Pats since he wants to stay here and only go elsewhere if it's a HC gig.

As DaBruinz said "Taylor had one good run at the end of the game.. Hardly the "destroyed" you want people to believe."

And nobody seems to remember Hightower and McCourty were in position to make a play and didn't. Now that might have been because of Taylor's ability but it certainly wasn't the failure of the coaches.

As DaBruinz said "Taylor had one good run at the end of the game.. Hardly the "destroyed" you want people to believe."

And nobody seems to remember Hightower and McCourty were in position to make a play and didn't. Now that might have been because of Taylor's ability but it certainly wasn't the failure of the coaches.
Come on man. Pats allowed 176 rushing yds in WC, 195 yds against MIA, 115 against BUF2, 226 against Colts, 270 against the Titans. That's 5 of last 7 games. You don't think coaches had anything to do with those performances?

He said he doesn't want to be a DC for another team. That doesn't mean he won't accept it for the Pats since he wants to stay here and only go elsewhere if it's a HC gig.
As I said, I’m sure he would do it if pressed into it. Though I believe based on his words, it’s not something he wants to do. Sure sounds to me like he wants to be what so many head coaches fail to be. A leader with experience in running an organization. A CEO of a team. What if Bill if giving him that? If he’s saying those things publicly, I’m pretty sure he’s had that conversation with Bill. Tying him down to being a DC does exactly that. He can kiss all the cross training good bye.

If he’s as good he believes he is, I would be thrilled if Bill finds some way to make him the next man up.

I think that Mayo is ready for a promotion to DC, for the patriots, or for someone else.

He has more skills than just being a position coach for ILBs.

At very least, he should be a position coach for an entire unit: DL's, LB's or DB's. This is necessary if GM's think that he is not ready to be a DC.
He and Steve should both be in range to be considered for promotion. They would benefit from a couple more years of seasoning but if someone was looking to start anew on defense they're probably viable candidates at this point.

Gun to my head, I have to promote one but not the other, I promote Mayo, but Steve Belichick is a solid defensive coach too and he's going to be a DC at some point in the next 3 years.

And you could make a good argument to promote Steve over Mayo without serious accusations of nepotism. Steve has been in the system longer and has paid his dues working from the ground up in this organization. Mayo is newer and junior to Steve in terms of years served.

Come on man. Pats allowed 176 rushing yds in WC, 195 yds against MIA, 115 against BUF2, 226 against Colts, 270 against the Titans. That's 5 of last 7 games. You don't think coaches had anything to do with those performances?
Just saying there were many instances players were in position and didn't make the play. It's okay to spread the responsibility but just changing coaches won't solve the problem.

just hire Brian Flores back as the DC.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back