PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For Mayo To Be A DC

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that Mayo is ready for a promotion to DC, for the patriots, or for someone else.

He has more skills than just being a position coach for ILBs.

At very least, he should be a position coach for an entire unit: DL's, LB's or DB's. This is necessary if GM's think that he is not ready to be a DC.

I think that Mayo is ready for a promotion to DC, for the patriots, or for someone else.

At very least, he should be a position coach for an entire unit: DL's, LB's or DB's. This is necessary if GM's think that he is not ready to be a DC.
I wouldn't be disappointed by the first part, if it's with the Pats, and whole-heartedly agree on the second part.
I think SB should change positions too.

Last edited:
I think there's something to be said for empowering people underneath you by giving them more responsibility. Mayo appears to be ready for the DC job.

Anyone who has been micromanaged at their job knows how much it affects your confidence and overall production. Of course I don't know better than Bill, but I hope he delegates the full position to a worthy candidate, and I don't see a better one than Mayo.

I gave this some thought and I don't actually think Mayo deserves anything. Our defense doesn't looked improved in any way since he has joined the staff. Maybe Steve is holding Mayo back but I'm just not seeing anything special that warrants a promotion.

He is our lb coach and I hate our linebackers. No one new has been developed under his watch. Bentley still sucks and I have to lay some of that blame on the coach. I was upset at how fast we lost Flores, but I didn't have any reservations with the idea of Mayo leaving. Maybe I'm bitter from how bad our defense last played.

Mayo is not getting promoted over Stevie.

I agree Mayo deserves a shot but would BB promote him over his son? I have heard rumors that Malcolm Butler got dumped because he bad mouthed Steve B.

There’s one realllly big problem. Mayo doesn’t want to be a coordinator….

Mayo is not getting promoted over Stevie.
This will be the destroying of the Patriots as we know it if BB does this. What qualification or experience does his son have over Mayo? I love the man but that will be some ********.

This will be the destroying of the Patriots as we know it if BB does this. What qualification or experience does his son have over Mayo? I love the man but that will be some ********.
Those three years of calling defensive plays are a pretty big deal when vying for the position that would call defensive plays.

It’s not happening and he will end up leaving.

As others have said, he really hasn’t done anything to warrant a promotion. Same with Steve and it’s unfortunate we our stuck with that guy.

why is he ready? the defense has SUCKED since he's been involved. Anyone involved w a defense that allowed Buffalo NOT TO PUNT in 2 f ing games has no business being a DC for Mass Maritime nevermind an NFL club

Do you not remember the defenses under fat Matt that could not get off the field on third down?

We need to name Mayo as dc, and send Stevie blunder to coach special teams.

I gave this some thought and I don't actually think Mayo deserves anything. Our defense doesn't looked improved in any way since he has joined the staff. Maybe Steve is holding Mayo back but I'm just not seeing anything special that warrants a promotion.

He is our lb coach and I hate our linebackers. No one new has been developed under his watch. Bentley still sucks and I have to lay some of that blame on the coach. I was upset at how fast we lost Flores, but I didn't have any reservations with the idea of Mayo leaving. Maybe I'm bitter from how bad our defense last played.
??

Go back to the last time we had a great D and see how many players we lost. And how many players are very very slow now.

No Trey Flowers, Elandon Roberts, Stephon Gilmore, Patrick Chung, and Kyle Van Noy is super slow, as is Devin McCourty and Donte Hightower.

We have Kyle Dugger, JC Jackson and Matthew Judon in place of all this talent that was here 3 years ago.

And yet the defense is performing well.

??

Go back to the last time we had a great D and see how many players we lost. And how many players are very very slow now.

No Trey Flowers, Elandon Roberts, Stephon Gilmore, Patrick Chung, and Kyle Van Noy is super slow, as is Devin McCourty and Donte Hightower.

We have Kyle Dugger, JC Jackson and Matthew Judon in place of all this talent that was here 3 years ago.

And yet the defense is performing well.
We got destroyed by Jonathan Taylor and I think about how we were spared from playing Henry and Chubb. Our secondary will be fine, but our front 7 is a problem. We have a stud in Barmore and a single edge threat in Judon. Everything else can be improved.

We got destroyed by Jonathan Taylor and I think about how we were spared from playing Henry and Chubb. Our secondary will be fine, but our front 7 is a problem. We have a stud in Barmore and a single edge threat in Judon. Everything else can be improved.
Yes, exactly. I think we agree. The lack of talent is a matter of the rebuild. I won't put that on Mayo. Not his fault that we have little to work with.

He was DC for 6 years, we went to 3 SBs and were top 10 in points allowed each year.
Isn't it a reportable offense on patsfans to cite facts to support an argument?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back