PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For Mayo To Be A DC

Honestly, the Patriots just need to name a DC.

Two seasons of having two "junior" DCs is not working.

At this point if neither of them is deserving of being elevated to DC then the Pats should be looking in a different direction.

I gave this some thought and I don't actually think Mayo deserves anything. Our defense doesn't looked improved in any way since he has joined the staff. Maybe Steve is holding Mayo back but I'm just not seeing anything special that warrants a promotion.

He is our lb coach and I hate our linebackers. No one new has been developed under his watch. Bentley still sucks and I have to lay some of that blame on the coach. I was upset at how fast we lost Flores, but I didn't have any reservations with the idea of Mayo leaving. Maybe I'm bitter from how bad our defense last played.
If you don't like the LBs and I don't blame you, blame the GM not Mayo.

Mayo is not getting promoted over Stevie.
Because of nepotism. That's why I hate nepotism. How many of you have worked in a nepotistic workplace?

I agree Mayo deserves a shot but would BB promote him over his son? I have heard rumors that Malcolm Butler got dumped because he bad mouthed Steve B.
Of course he won't promote him over his son. It's his son. Talent goes out the window when faced with family ties.

There’s one realllly big problem. Mayo doesn’t want to be a coordinator….
Of course he does. That's the only chance he has to be a HC and even then it'll be a struggle since most are OCs.

Of course he does. That's the only chance he has to be a HC and even then it'll be a struggle since most are OCs.
Not sure what to tell ya, but the man says otherwise.

My proposal is to make him Assistant Head Coach and ST's Coordinator..

That would create a clear line of succession when BB retires.. as well as add to his resume.

I think Mayo would make a good DC (or at least deserves a shot at the opportunity). That said, the issues they had down the stretch, put on full display in the Bills playoff game, were the result of lack of depth in the secondary. If Mayo was the DC and calling the plays that day, I don't think we do much better (if at all). If a DC is named, whoever it is won't look good if they only have one healthy starting caliber corner to work with.

I gave this some thought and I don't actually think Mayo deserves anything. Our defense doesn't looked improved in any way since he has joined the staff. Maybe Steve is holding Mayo back but I'm just not seeing anything special that warrants a promotion.

He is our lb coach and I hate our linebackers. No one new has been developed under his watch. Bentley still sucks and I have to lay some of that blame on the coach. I was upset at how fast we lost Flores, but I didn't have any reservations with the idea of Mayo leaving. Maybe I'm bitter from how bad our defense last played.
I find it fascinating how Bill has managed to shift the story away from himself in bad times and to himself when things are good. This is especially fascinating when we consider that Bill controls all aspects of the football operation, including the players and coaches.

I find it fascinating how Bill has managed to shift the story away from himself in bad times and to himself when things are good. This is especially fascinating when we consider that Bill controls all aspects of the football operation, including the players and coaches.

I don't recall him doing either of these things. Do you have some examples?

That would create a clear line of succession when BB retires.. as well as add to his resume.

I'm no fan of Stevie or nepotism, but why do people think Mayo is a good coach? Because he's received head coaching interviews???

They both have shown nothing to me.

I'm no fan of Stevie or nepotism, but why do people think Mayo is a good coach? Because he's received head coaching interviews???

They both have shown nothing to me.

Didn't you see the Super Bowl ads? The guy has an ad game. So he has that going for him, and from what we've seen, Steven Jr. isn't even trying. SHM.

the Mayo people are the same people that think Jason Varitek would be a great manager....with absolutely no evidence other than they're both "well spoken" guys who were good, not great, players in their day. Also, they played nice w the media and hence the media turned Mayo/Varitek Coaching propaganda campaigns to the Nth degree

Didn't you see the Super Bowl ads? The guy has an ad game. So he has that going for him, and from what we've seen, Steven Jr. isn't even trying. SHM.
You mean the complete rip off of Terry Tate Office Linebacker?

Don't get me wrong, Mayo is in great shape (assuming that was him in the helmet and not a body double) in that ad, but that doesn't mean anything in regards to his ability to be a DC.

As others have said - he'll get a shot...someplace else.

Send the seedlings and Mayo packing, rehire Flores

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

I read Steve had refused Hair Club for Men

Mayo has exactly zero qualifications to be a special teams coordinator right now. All but three current NFL ST coordinators worked as assistant ST coaches at the NFL level first. Darren Rizzi had 8 years of college ST experience and got his first NFL ST coordinator job from a HC that he worked for at the college level. Rich Bisaccia had 14 years of college ST experience. Danny Smith was hired directly to the ST coordinator job in 1995.

I agree Mayo deserves a shot but would BB promote him over his son? I have heard rumors that Malcolm Butler got dumped because he bad mouthed Steve B.
i doubt that happened.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back