PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

My take on McD:

I feel that, overall, he has run a playoff-caliber offense during his time here...He has absolutely expanded his repertoire this season and has usually made the most of what he has been given...or is it really more, what he has been lately giving himself? Because I have unfortunately been made more aware of his role in the grocery-shopping department than I had previously ass-umed he had since his return during the 2011 POs ... Seems that he's now making his bed as well as lying in it...Also means he might now have become part of the Problem...

One last beef with him: He really needs to stop trying to get cute - or the opposite: too predictable - during short-yardage situations, especially on 3rd/4th down...Dude's a True Believer in the cult of If It Ain't Broke, Fix It...

What’s sad is that you have an agenda and can’t be honest about it.
Brady was awful in the second half and over the course of the year a very average qb, which is impressive for an injured 52 year old.
Stating the truth isn’t trashing him.

Brady has been great this year. So you're blaming Brady for last year and again absolving McDaniels of any blame ?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a football fan in possession of a hot take, must be in want of a new offensive coordinator."

I swear, people on this board have been criticizing every OC, every year, since I've been here.

My take on McD:

I feel that, overall, he has run a playoff-caliber offense during his time here...He has absolutely expanded his repertoire this season and has usually made the most of what he has been given...or is it really more, what he has been lately giving himself? Because I have unfortunately been made more aware of his role in the grocery-shopping department than I had previously ass-umed he had since his return during the 2011 POs ... Seems that he's now making his bed as well as lying in it...Also means he might now have become part of the Problem...

One last beef with him: He really needs to stop trying to get cute - or the opposite: too predictable - during short-yardage situations, especially on 3rd/4th down...Dude's a True Believer in the cult of If It Ain't Broke, Fix It...

This is spot on. McDaniels is an above average play caller after a decade of no-ring experience to get his first ring as OC eventually (thanks to Malcolm Butler, Brady, Gronk). But this is only 1 aspect of being an OC. He's made his own bed with the zero talent development and horrid drafting of offensive skill players or wasting of picks like Sanu, over 8 years. So the total body of work is this guy is a losing/negative asset where we keep seeing the offense get worse and worse with this guy. A total opposite is look how Brian Daboll completely transformed the Buffalo Bills offense in 3 years. Making an offense better and making players better is one of the key parts of being an offensive coordinator and McDaniels may be the worst in the league at developing talent and evaluating talent. He's not the right person for what the Patriots need. McDaniels' only skill is play calling, he has to go to a team loaded with all stars so he doesn't have to be in position to make terrible bust picks or have to develop anybody. He's like a worse Norv Turner in terms of career arc I think.

Not trying to throw JMD a lifeline, but how much input does he really have with draft picks and trades? He basically works with the players BB gives him.

Brady has been great this year. So you're blaming Brady for last year and again absolving McDaniels of any blame ?

Did you watch Brady play last year? Are you pretending Brady wasn’t injured last year?

And that Miami game was a great one for me since I was there and watched what could have been had AB kept his head on straight.
Yep, and if BK had kept his pants on straight too...

Damn shame, because if we also had just a little better injury luck, and just a couple of better draft picks at TE (among Hooper, Kittle, Knox/Moreau, even old Virgil Green) and at WR (Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Keenan Allen, Ty Lockett, AJ Brown) and one at RB (Chubb), then a NE - SF Super Bowl would've really been something...

Last edited:
My take on McD:

There is no evidence that McDaniels is picking the players. The only possible evidence is:
1) we have a poster who made that up and posts it 6 times daily
2) some wrote an article wondering if when McDaniels backed out of the colts job one of the things discussed was him being involved in choosing players. This was 100% a guess.
The evidence against? Everything, starting with the way belichick operates.

I think once this season is over , it will give everyone enough time to introspect and come out with suitable corrections. Considering that there are so many plugs to close, it might be prudent to solve one problem at a time..

Getting a decent passing Qb
Changes in the way we scout and draft
Changes in offseason to tune gameplay to new qb and backup
Create a 2 -3 year blueprint towards free agent addition, retention and trades .

Mcd could be the problem or could be a causal impact due to lack if talent. So pretty difficult to judge this year. But hoping Bill is fired up enough with all the noise that he comes out blazing on all cylinders.. we can just hope..

Not trying to throw JMD a lifeline, but how much input does he really have with draft picks and trades? He basically works with the players BB gives him.
Yeah that's what I had thought too, but then DropKick posted links to some stories that show McD having perhaps more of a say in these matters lately than I had ass-umed...Again, Bill's the Last Word here, so credit & blame fall upon him, but this isn't a good look for ol' Skippy here.

And that Miami game was a great one for me since I was there and watched what could have been had AB kept his head on straight.
I'm sorry, but what exactly did AB do between his signing and release? O that's right, he was simply facing probate allegations. Meanwhile, the guy that signs his checks was fighting to surpress videos of himself paying for handies, on two different occasions.

Take a troubled guy, then fire his ass over nothing but unsubstantiated gossip, and of course he goes off the rails afterwards. I'd have more questions about his character if he didn't "go off the deepend."

It's all further proof Kraft is a spineless child seeking acceptance from the generational wealth that makes up NFL ownership. **** Bob. I hope he locks up McDummy when BB bails and cements the demise of the franchise for a decade.

If there is a god, Pats Fans will be *****ing about the "Curse of Antonio" for decades, and Kraft will be kept alive to witness it.

There is no evidence that McDaniels is picking the players. The only possible evidence is:
1) we have a poster who made that up and posts it 6 times daily
2) some wrote an article wondering if when McDaniels backed out of the colts job one of the things discussed was him being involved in choosing players. This was 100% a guess.
The evidence against? Everything, starting with the way belichick operates.

He's not picking the players. Of course Belichick is the head coach and pseudo GM. McDaniels is merely giving piss poor evaluation opinions in the war room and stellar 'ace' workout assessments of complete busts. To the point where he's made the Patriot offense just as pathetic as the St Louis offense and Denver offense that he ruined at 2 franchises before coming back.

He's not picking the players. Of course Belichick is the head coach and pseudo GM. McDaniels is merely giving piss poor evaluation opinions in the war room and stellar 'ace' workout assessments of complete busts. To the point where he's made the Patriot offense just as pathetic as the St Louis offense and Denver offense that he ruined at 2 franchises before coming back.

You are making that up too

Brady wasn’t right last year and got worse as the year went on. The fact that he bounced back this year while staying healthy shows that.
Sure there were OL issues but it’s been as bad at other times and Brady never looked like that.

I really don't think we've ever had 4 holes on the OL. I think it was by far the worst ever. And Marshall Newhouse! Woo boy.

You are making that up too

I've posted links on the prior page showing video of how it's just a small handful of people in the war room. McDaniels is one of them. Stop pretending he hasn't had any influence on the lack of personnel development the last 8 years. this is like you pretending he had nothing to with Maroney, before Holley specifically revealed it was him. stop with the denials.

I've posted links on the prior page showing video of how it's just a small handful of people in the war room. McDaniels is one of them. Stop pretending he hasn't had any influence on the lack of personnel development the last 8 years. this is like you pretending he had nothing to with Maroney, before Holley specifically revealed it was him. stop with the denials.
A video of him being in the war room doesn’t make him responsible for the picks.

A video of him being in the war room doesn’t make him responsible for the picks.

When articles specifically say NKeal Harry "aced his Foxboro" workout, who do you think he worked out with ???? Who had to give an opinion there ?

Josh McDaniels is an imposter who thinks he's smarter than he is.

He doesn't put his players in position to succeed. 3rd and 12 against a strong run defense? Let's run it up the middle. 3rd and 8 against an all out blitz? Let's get in I formation and have Cam get obliterated before he's taken his second backward step. Cam can't throw an accurate short pass? Let's make sure we dial up plenty of screens. N'keal Harry struggles to separate and is a sloppy route runner but his major strength coming out of college was consistently winning contested catches? Well let's use him in situations where he needs to get separation and run a very precisely timed route and not just give him a few jump balls to go win...

When articles specifically say NKeal Harry "aced his Foxboro" workout, who do you think he worked out with ???? Who had to give an opinion there ?
First it is a total speculation article. Serving belichick made the pick. End of story.

DropKickFlutie has contracted a full blown case of the NEM OC virus and is spreading it. I've caught it.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back