PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

Josh McDaniels is an imposter who thinks he's smarter than he is.

He doesn't put his players in position to succeed. 3rd and 12 against a strong run defense? Let's run it up the middle. 3rd and 8 against an all out blitz? Let's get in I formation and have Cam get obliterated before he's taken his second backward step. Cam can't throw an accurate short pass? Let's make sure we dial up plenty of screens. N'keal Harry struggles to separate and is a sloppy route runner but his major strength coming out of college was consistently winning contested catches? Well let's use him in situations where he needs to get separation and run a very precisely timed route and not just give him a few jump balls to go win...
Yeah I forgot to mention this during my take on Josh from the previous page, but his use - or more accurately his misuse - of Harry has been strange, if not down-right bizarre, and consequently unproductive...

Josh McDaniels is an imposter who thinks he's smarter than he is.

He doesn't put his players in position to succeed. 3rd and 12 against a strong run defense? Let's run it up the middle. 3rd and 8 against an all out blitz? Let's get in I formation and have Cam get obliterated before he's taken his second backward step. Cam can't throw an accurate short pass? Let's make sure we dial up plenty of screens. N'keal Harry struggles to separate and is a sloppy route runner but his major strength coming out of college was consistently winning contested catches? Well let's use him in situations where he needs to get separation and run a very precisely timed route and not just give him a few jump balls to go win...

Yes an imposter . To his credit he was smart to ride Brady's coat tails

Yeah I forgot to mention this during my take on Josh from the previous page, but his use - or more accurately his misuse - of Harry has been strange, if not down-right bizarre, and consequently unproductive...
I'm really getting tired of seeing him motioning across the line of scrimmage and hanging out in the flat after the snap.

If I'm Harry, I want to get released. And I would not be shocked if Harry and his Agent push a trade as he is rotting in NE.

So nobody likes James White in the backfield and getting handoffs going up the gut of the D?

Yeah it's like, let's intentionally use guys away from their strengths. James White run up the gut and zero passes. NKeal Harry 2 yard pass and no jump ball plays. Almost no RPO or play action for Cam after September.

Yeah it's like, let's intentionally use guys away from their strengths. James White run up the gut and zero passes. NKeal Harry 2 yard pass and no jump ball plays. Almost no RPO or play action for Cam after September.
Does McDaniels hate his coach?

When articles specifically say NKeal Harry "aced his Foxboro" workout, who do you think he worked out with ???? Who had to give an opinion there ?
Hmmm, Maybe, Joe Judge his 1st year position coach. You know the ST coach who was also givenWR coach duties by Bill to pimp his HC chances.

Throughout my Patriot fandom, I’ve had my far share of what I call “whipping boys”. Skippy himself served in that capacity during the 05 and 06 seasons. But, your constant harping at McDaniels is tedious. It’s like someone thinking they’re playing music when they’re just plucking the same note over and over. If McDaniels didn’t hit on your wife or hurt your dog, you really need to get some perspective.

Per media reports at the time, 2019 was the first year McDaniels was in the draft room. Josh and Nick’s WR/CB treatise might be a piece of crap, but it was Bill who adopted it. I’m not sure how bad it is really. For every Cyrus Jones, Duke Dawson, and SlowJuan Williams high pick flop, they’ve signed and developed Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson and yes Myles Bryant can play. Yes, Harry is a flop, but, if not for injury, Malcolm Mitchell was going to be a darn good player. Jakobi Meyers is going to have a good NFL career. They just don’t draft enough WRs which I doubt is McDaniels’ fault.

Skippy turned out to be a pretty good OC. This rebuild is going to be a whole lot harder if he should get a job elsewhere this off-season. I don’t think he leaves, as I believe he’s scheduled to be Bill’s rightful successor when Bill and Bob finally realize that Bill is too old and has worked too hard for too long to continue coaching at the level to which we’ve all grown accustomed.

Does McDaniels hate his coach?

I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't try to win this year. Last year remember he was blocked from interviewing while in playoffs and missed out. He sees Flores as a coach, he sees Daboll doing well, he sees Esterby lying his ass off in Houston, maybe he wanted out this year like Brady decided last year he was done.

Hmmm, Maybe, Joe Judge his 1st year position coach. You know the ST coach who was also givenWR coach duties by Bill to pimp his HC chances.

Throughout my Patriot fandom, I’ve had my far share of what I call “whipping boys”. Skippy himself served in that capacity during the 05 and 06 seasons. But, your constant harping at McDaniels is tedious. It’s like someone thinking they’re playing music when they’re just plucking the same note over and over. If McDaniels didn’t hit on your wife or hurt your dog, you really need to get some perspective.

Per media reports at the time, 2019 was the first year McDaniels was in the draft room. Josh and Nick’s WR/CB treatise might be a piece of crap, but it was Bill who adopted it. I’m not sure how bad it is really. For every Cyrus Jones, Duke Dawson, and SlowJuan Williams high pick flop, they’ve signed and developed Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson and yes Myles Bryant can play. Yes, Harry is a flop, but, if not for injury, Malcolm Mitchell was going to be a darn good player. Jakobi Meyers is going to have a good NFL career. They just don’t draft enough WRs which I doubt is McDaniels’ fault.

Skippy turned out to be a pretty good OC. This rebuild is going to be a whole lot harder if he should get a job elsewhere this off-season. I don’t think he leaves, as I believe he’s scheduled to be Bill’s rightful successor when Bill and Bob finally realize that Bill is too old and has worked too hard for too long to continue coaching at the level to which we’ve all grown accustomed.

1. He's been giving input the whole time, 05-08 bust picks and also 2012-now. But yes war room since end of the 2017 season after he spurned the Colts.

2. Your examples prove the draft system is broken at CB/WR but they supplement with amazing UDFA pickups. Those guys are UDFA guys.

Literally the same excuses I've heard over and over for McD. League worst 32nd ranked offense in St Louis, excuses excuses. Doofus trades in Denver and going 5-17, excuses excuses. Him pushing for Maroney and Chad Jackson and NKeal Harry and Sony, excuses excuses. This guy is overrated and it would be a disaster if this dude is heir apparent after Belichick leaves . We should switch to a new OC who can actually develop young players instead of make excuses for why the talent isn't developing.

I thought BB overruled concerns about Harry from the Pats scouts because BB was close with Harry’s coach.

I thought BB overruled concerns about Harry from the Pats scouts because BB was close with Harry’s coach.

It's a combination. Harry 'aced his Foxboro workout' plus the college coach backed his player. But Belichick has sided with the crappy OC opinion over his scouts multiple times going all the way to at least Laurence Maroney (that we are aware of).

It was a reporter speculating that maybe Harry did a great job in his visit and belichick knows his college coach. Nothing real, backed up or even claimed to be more than a guess.

It was a reporter speculating that maybe Harry did a great job in his visit and belichick knows his college coach. Nothing real, backed up or even claimed to be more than a guess.

Yeah all we have to go by is horsesh-t drafts exactly when McDaniels came back from 2012-now, good drafts from 2010-2012 while he was away drafting Tim Tebow with a first round pick, and horsesh-t drafts while he was back here 2005-2008. Oh and direct evidence that we drafted Laurence Maroney because Belichick listened to Josh and Ben McDaniels instead of his own scouts. So there's that.

Is Chad O'Shea, Bill O'Brien, or Charlie Weiss available? It is time for a new offensive coordinator for the following reasons:

1. Offense Inept 2 years in a Row. Even with Tom Brady this offense only scored 17.6 points per game the last 9 games in 2019, same as this year 20 points per game.
2. Lack of Talent Development and Missed Drafts. Very damaging bust pick of NKeal Harry (and Dobson, and every other WR drafted since 2012). Absolutely no development of tight ends which is a concerning pattern with McDaniels. No impact players since 2012 (since McDaniels returned).
3. Cam isn't the root issue. Seeing Stidham come in and only throw 4 for 11, shows this is an offensive issue all around.
4. Totally Exposed without Brady. McDaniels went to Denver and went 5-17 before getting fired (traded up using a 1st rounder for Tebow, traded for Maroney). Went to St Louis in 2011 and led the 32nd/worst offense in the league averaging only 12 points per game that season. McDaniels has done nothing without Tom Brady, this 2020 season included.

I think the team would benefit from a new offensive coordinator. O'Shea has completely revived Cleveland's offense this year plus developed Baker Mayfield, and Miami's last 8 games of 2019 was a top10 offense under O'Shea. Or Bill O'Brien who developed Edelman, Gronk, and Hernandez while here and then won 4 AFC South titles with the Texans. Heck even see if Charlie Weiss is available ? I wish we had stuck with Brian Daboll if we could go back in time. We need a new offensive coordinator.

The level of STUPID to grace this forum of late is at an all time high since I came here in 1999.

This is a discussion worth having. Is the greatest coach in NFL history so good that he can do it without the wealth of assistants he's had over the years? So many good ones have left recently.

All I see right now is several former players (and that's ok with me) and his sons.

This worries me. A lot.

Anyone second guessing why Harry was drafted should maybe go back to that draft day and read all the glowing reports on this board from scouts, experts, TV people, and our own draft gurus. Because Harry was a sexy pick.

And then they should read all the scouts, TV people, experts, and draft gurus from the next day when Metcalf was picked, and you'll read so many people wondering if he's too stiff to run a proper route, or worrying about his bad hands.

It's the NFL draft. There are a ton of experts in retrospect, and a bunch of idiots who didn't know what they were doing on the day of.

My big concern is that Belichick may have already gotten his fill of big WRs who don't have enough flex, as he's struck out with so many of these guys over the years. The only WRs who have succeeded in New England (other than Moss for 1 year) are the smaller, quicker, shiftier guys.

Such a dumb thread. Bill Walsh wouldn't be able to win with this year's version of Cam at QB.

Such a dumb thread. Bill Walsh wouldn't be able to win with this year's version of Cam at QB.

Bill Walsh is like 0.300 without Montana but there isn't a Montana cult obsessed with denigrating all credit from Walsh

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back