PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

5 straight punts and it’s not all on the QB...

If Chad O'Shea would come back here, then I'm rooting for Caserio to hire the John Carroll cabal of coaches over to Houston.

Is Chad O'Shea, Bill O'Brien, or Charlie Weiss available? It is time for a new offensive coordinator for the following reasons:

1. Offense Inept 2 years in a Row. Even with Tom Brady this offense only scored 17.6 points per game the last 9 games in 2019, same as this year 20 points per game.
2. Lack of Talent Development and Missed Drafts. Very damaging bust pick of NKeal Harry (and Dobson, and every other WR drafted since 2012). Absolutely no development of tight ends which is a concerning pattern with McDaniels. No impact players since 2012 (since McDaniels returned).
3. Cam isn't the root issue. Seeing Stidham come in and only throw 4 for 11, shows this is an offensive issue all around.
4. Totally Exposed without Brady. McDaniels went to Denver and went 5-17 before getting fired (traded up using a 1st rounder for Tebow, traded for Maroney). Went to St Louis in 2011 and led the 32nd/worst offense in the league averaging only 12 points per game that season. McDaniels has done nothing without Tom Brady, this 2020 season included.

I think the team would benefit from a new offensive coordinator. O'Shea has completely revived Cleveland's offense this year plus developed Baker Mayfield, and Miami's last 8 games of 2019 was a top10 offense under O'Shea. Or Bill O'Brien who developed Edelman, Gronk, and Hernandez while here and then won 4 AFC South titles with the Texans. Heck even see if Charlie Weiss is available ? I wish we had stuck with Brian Daboll if we could go back in time. We need a new offensive coordinator.

Pats averaged the same number of offensive touchdowns and yards w/ Tom last year and Cam this year.

It's talent and skill...not playcalling and gameplans.

Josh is not the problem and there isn't single person qualified to say his playcalling sucks.

O’Shea or Gase
I was so wrong about Daboll I thought he should hold McDaniels jock steps
Why do you think Gase and O'Shea will improve our offense?

What exactly is Josh not doing well?

JMD has been a solid offensive assistant for several years. While his play calling has at times been called predictable, he has produced good offenses when given the tools to work with. However, I feel he still wants one more chance as a HC. He and his wife are both Ohioans and he would have loved the Browns job if they were willing to meet his demands for autonomy. I feel it is time for him to move on. If they are not leary of picking from the BB tree once again, Detroit might be a good spot.

My only reply to this is....NO!

We need better drafting of offensive weapons sans OL and RB. TEs and WRs need play makers. I'd trade up for Smith from Alabama.

Pats averaged the same number of offensive touchdowns and yards w/ Tom last year and Cam this year.

It's talent and skill...not playcalling and gameplans.

Josh is not the problem and there isn't single person qualified to say his playcalling sucks.

Actually the opposite point is made then. Even with Tom Brady last year, from Oct 2019 to end of that year the offense only scored 17.6 points per game. So it's not Cam. We need a new offensive coordinator because the offense keeps declining and we need people who know how to develop young players and also evaluate good draft prospects. Right now the current OC is one of the league's worst at developing players or evaluating talent.

JMD has been a solid offensive assistant for several years. While his play calling has at times been called predictable, he has produced good offenses when given the tools to work with. However, I feel he still wants one more chance as a HC. He and his wife are both Ohioans and he would have loved the Browns job if they were willing to meet his demands for autonomy. I feel it is time for him to move on. If they are not leary of picking from the BB tree once again, Detroit might be a good spot.

Why would anybody give McDaniels autonomy after he wrecked Denver and went 5-17 before being fired, led the 32nd worst offense in St Louis in 2011, had the 27th ranked offense this year, and bailed on the Colts franchise? This guy's ego is enormous. He doesn't deserve GM power when this is the same guy who thought trading up to spend a 1st round pick on Tim Tebow was a good idea. The Browns came out way ahead this year going with their current HC and OC, and the Colts fanbase is also universally happy they got their current HC instead. McDaniels has zero self awareness if he doesn't realize he has zero prestige right now.

O’Shea or Gase
I was so wrong about Daboll I thought he should hold McDaniels jock steps

Brian Daboll has proven to resurrect a crappy Bills team into a 13-3 division winner. Josh Allen was a 50% passer 2 years ago and now putting up prime Brady stats. Daboll has proven to be an elite OC and probably a lead candidate for the Chargers/Jaguars jobs along with EricB in KC.

O'Shea went into a Cleveland offense that was terrible and basically turned around Baker Mayfield's career. Even with Odell Beckham hurt most of the year that entire receiver group was very productive and the Browns had a very good year. I'd love if O'Shea came back here as new offensive coordinator.

Actually the opposite point is made then. Even with Tom Brady last year, from Oct 2019 to end of that year the offense only scored 17.6 points per game. So it's not Cam. We need a new offensive coordinator because the offense keeps declining and we need people who know how to develop young players and also evaluate good draft prospects. Right now the current OC is one of the league's worst at developing players or evaluating talent.
No it is not.

Need talent to begin with.

This is a discussion worth having. Is the greatest coach in NFL history so good that he can do it without the wealth of assistants he's had over the years? So many good ones have left recently.

All I see right now is several former players (and that's ok with me) and his sons.

This worries me. A lot.
Isn’t there one former player coaching a position and one a position assistant? Plus 2 sons. There is a lot more on the staff than them.

McDaniels made his own bed with the talent here. Busts picks for Sanu and Harry. Don't act like he has no involvement.

Making your own bed doesn’t imply you had a voice it implies you had total control.

Making your own bed doesn’t imply you had a voice it implies you had total control.

Of course he doesn't have control. Belichick makes the picks. Belichick listens to his staff on who they say is good or bad. O'Brien and Reese here evaluated and got Gronk Edelman Hernandez. McDaniels has been here and with his opinions we burned a 2nd for Sanu, a 1st for Harry, and have nobody developed in 8 years. Nobody ever said McDaniels made the call. Belichick gets league-worst talent evaluations from McDaniels that's all. We have a guy who spent a 1st rounder for Tim Tebow. We need a new offensive coordinator. Get all the John Caroll boys jobs outside of New England.

Of course he doesn't have control. Belichick makes the picks. Belichick listens to his staff on who they say is good or bad. O'Brien and Reese here evaluated and got Gronk Edelman Hernandez. McDaniels has been here and with his opinions we burned a 2nd for Sanu, a 1st for Harry, and have nobody developed in 8 years. Nobody ever said McDaniels made the call. Belichick gets league-worst talent evaluations from McDaniels that's all. We have a guy who spent a 1st rounder for Tim Tebow. We need a new offensive coordinator. Get all the John Caroll boys jobs outside of New England.

This is the point. You are literally giving total
responsibility to McDaniels for everything you don’t like. How do you know what he felt about Sanu? Rumor was it was Brady that lobbied for Sanu.
You are both obsessed and way off the mark on this, which are 2 things that almost always coincide.

“Chad grinds on the tape. He spends a lot of time with his players on the nuances of the position. He’s kind of like that proverbial gym rat that spends a ton of time with the game,” Stefanski said. “That’s the qualities I saw in him early on in his coaching career

I almost said something yesterday, but let it go. Now this thread. DropKickFlutie must be NEM's kid. There is no other explanation. I don' t know where you get the idea that Josh alone gets to pick all offensive players in the draft. I have never read that anywhere. Accept on here mostly from you.

Josh is a phenomenal OC. Its like the morons calling into the radio station calling for Bill's head. Stop and consider the alternatives, it can be a lot worse.

But enjoy your rants. You seem to love it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back