PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

The offense is so predictable, and the defense has ZERO toughness, ZERO swagger, and it’s predictable as well, because there is no pass rush, so QBs can just sit back and pick the D apart.

Cowherd rips josh

The ripping starts at 3:40. Josh McDaniels is completely exposed without Thomas Brady III. 28th offense this year, 32nd offense in St Louis, 5-17 record in Denver before being fired. Probably the most overrated coat-tail credit getting coach of the entire Tom Brady era.

Last edited:
The ripping starts at 3:40. Josh McDaniels is completely exposed without Thomas Brady III. 28th offense this year, 32nd offense in St Louis, 5-17 record in Denver before being fired. Probably the most overrated coat-tail credit getting coach of the entire Tom Brady era.

So we are supposed to listen to Colin Coward now? He knows like 1% of what Felger knows.

I’m missing how this is JM’s fault when the QB he has to coach can’t pass, has no one to throw to and in week 16 doesn't process relatively simple plays fast enough.

Ok, Brady. Yeah, he made everyone better. That doesn’t make JM a bad OC. JM and BB also made Brady a better player.

So we are supposed to listen to Colin Coward now? He knows like 1% of what Felger knows.

I’m missing how this is JM’s fault when the QB he has to coach can’t pass, has no one to throw to and in week 16 doesn't process relatively simple plays fast enough.

The total lack of development for 8 years is on the OC. He runs the offense. Develops players. Chimes in on drafts or trades. Develops game plans and schemes and plays. The total ineptitude on offense is McDaniels. Totally exposed without Tom Brady and Gronk.

The total lack of development for 8 years is on the OC. He runs the offense. Develops players. Chimes in on drafts or trades. Develops game plans and schemes and plays. The total ineptitude on offense is McDaniels. Totally exposed without Tom Brady and Gronk.
It’s not about development. The players aren’t good enough.

It’s not about development. The players aren’t good enough.

Literally the same excuses I've heard over and over for McD. League worst 32nd ranked offense in St Louis, excuses excuses. Doofus trades in Denver and going 5-17, excuses excuses. Him pushing for Maroney and Chad Jackson and NKeal Harry and Sony, excuses excuses. This guy is overrated and it would be a disaster if this dude is heir apparent after Belichick leaves . We should switch to a new OC who can actually develop young players instead of make excuses for why the talent isn't developing.

Literally the same excuses I've heard over and over for McD. League worst 32nd ranked offense in St Louis, excuses excuses. Doofus trades in Denver and going 5-17, excuses excuses. Him pushing for Maroney and Chad Jackson and NKeal Harry and Sony, excuses excuses. This guy is overrated and it would be a disaster if this dude is heir apparent after Belichick leaves . We should switch to a new OC who can actually develop young players instead of make excuses for why the talent isn't developing.

Anybody know who the scouts wanted over Maroney and Jackson? I admit, those two were who I wanted the Pats to draft so I was a happy camper that day. However, I knew Greg Jennings and D'Angelo Williams were the right choices. You have to give BB credit that he went for the top ranked guys at those positions which is rare. It just didn't work out. Those four players were all argued as the best at their positions.

I don’t know that he pushed for any of these players. I know he wanted offensive weapons. So did Tom Brady in 2019.

If JM was so bad, why didn’t Brady want himgone?

JM can’t make skirt steak into filet and neither can anyone else.

More than a coach i think what the team and league needs is a new offensive philosophy. As far as coaches go, I find a lot of them at the NFL level miss the forest for the trees. Not just our OC. The main issue with offense in the NFL is everyone tries to run what I'll call a 'conventional NFL offense' where 98% of plays or more are pretty standard. Only maybe 10 teams should run that, if that many to be honest. It only works if you have a QB you can trust, and you should be quick to abandon it if you're in a rut during a game at any point.

I know some people believe 'trick' plays are something that only work in moderation, but i don't think that's the case. They will work if you sell it right, and even if the D stops it, if you show a willingness to really mix it up it will allow an offense to dictate a large amount on their 'normal' plays

this teams problems are way deeper than Skippy McDaniels.

Is Chad O'Shea, Bill O'Brien, or Charlie Weiss available? It is time for a new offensive coordinator for the following reasons:

1. Offense Inept 2 years in a Row. Even with Tom Brady this offense only scored 20 points per game the last 9 games in 2019, same as this year 20 points per game.
2. Lack of Talent Development and Missed Drafts. Very damaging bust pick of NKeal Harry (and Dobson, and every other WR drafted since 2012). Absolutely no development of tight ends which is a concerning pattern with McDaniels.
3. Cam isn't the root issue. Seeing Stidham come in and only throw 4 for 11, shows this is an offensive issue all around.
4. Totally Exposed without Brady. McDaniels went to Denver and went 5-17 before getting fired (traded up using a 1st rounder for Tebow, traded for Maroney). Went to St Louis in 2011 and led the 32nd/worst offense in the league at 12 points per game that season. McDaniels has done nothing without Tom Brady, this 2020 season included.

I think the team would benefit from a new offensive coordinator. O'Shea has completely revived Cleveland's offense this year plus developed Baker Mayfield, and Miami's last 8 games the season prior was a top10 offense. Or Bill O'Brien who developed Edelman, Gronk, and Hernandez while here and won 4 AFC South titles. Heck even see if Charlie Weiss is available ?

As i pointed out in the other post , watch the superbowl 53 recap. it was JMcD's adjustment which got us the TD. same with those entire playoffs where they switched to a run focus attack in the playoffs. Same in superbowl 49 too. Yes he needed brady to execute . So you need a good QB to execute it. Nothing new.
You say its his fault that stidham sucked too. I say its possible neither of them are good enough for QBing.
Welcome to the journey of every team in the last 20 yrs except the pats where they have routinely blamed the coaches and OC's when they dont have a competent QB.
Bill OBrien - really ?He couldnt win with watson and hopkins and co and he will fix this team's offensive issues with the current crew ?
And no development of TE's - they are rookies without an offseason. What do you want JMcD to do.
You can replace josh if you'd like. You will soon want the next guy replaced too. You need to find QB. Every Coach needs a QB.

Josh has been a miracle worker this year. He has gotten players in space somehow when we pose no threat whatsoever to opposing defenses. We run right at defenders when they know we're running, and we open holes. The opening drive trick play shows how well designed a McD offense can be. For me, he's the best OC in the entire league. If he were OC on the Bucs, they'd be the best team in football right now.

As for last year, having 4 hurt OL and your only receiver with broken ribs--well, Brady had to throw the ball away a zillion times after 1 second.

Contrast him with Bill O'Brien who bungled the 2011 Super Bowl. I'll never forgive O'Brien for his harebrained play calling. Brady rips off so many completions in a row, the Giants are gassed, they're reeling, they can't stop the pass, Patriots are in hurry-up, and the Giants can't substitute. So this "genius" gets cute and he dials up a Jumbo package, 1 WR, the Giants are finally able to get rested defenders on the field, he runs it up the gut, and we have a 2 yard loss. The Welker drop follows this sequence and the ref are overheard telling each otehr, "That would have been the ball game!" So thank you BO'B for that bit of idiocy.

In contrast, the O struggled against the Rams in '18. But when Josh found something that worked in the 4th quarter, he never took his foot off the Rams' neck so he could show them a different look just to display his own genius. He took what they were giving until we ended the game on that drive. These 2 drives will live on in New England Patriots history even though they had 2 very different results. Both of them could have ended Super Bowls. Only one of them did. And the reason is the OC.
THISx100.

Is Chad O'Shea, Bill O'Brien, or Charlie Weiss available? It is time for a new offensive coordinator for the following reasons:

1. Offense Inept 2 years in a Row. Even with Tom Brady this offense only scored 20 points per game the last 9 games in 2019, same as this year 20 points per game.
2. Lack of Talent Development and Missed Drafts. Very damaging bust pick of NKeal Harry (and Dobson, and every other WR drafted since 2012). Absolutely no development of tight ends which is a concerning pattern with McDaniels.
3. Cam isn't the root issue. Seeing Stidham come in and only throw 4 for 11, shows this is an offensive issue all around.
4. Totally Exposed without Brady. McDaniels went to Denver and went 5-17 before getting fired (traded up using a 1st rounder for Tebow, traded for Maroney). Went to St Louis in 2011 and led the 32nd/worst offense in the league at 12 points per game that season. McDaniels has done nothing without Tom Brady, this 2020 season included.

I think the team would benefit from a new offensive coordinator. O'Shea has completely revived Cleveland's offense this year plus developed Baker Mayfield, and Miami's last 8 games the season prior was a top10 offense. Or Bill O'Brien who developed Edelman, Gronk, and Hernandez while here and won 4 AFC South titles. Heck even see if Charlie Weiss is available ?

Did the OC draft the wide receivers and tight ends, and decide which should be signed and traded for? If so, he should be replaced. Did he choose our QB's?

Did the OC draft the wide receivers and tight ends, and decide which should be signed and traded for? If so, he should be replaced. Did he choose our QB's?

Only a couple people in the war room, video link here McD is right next to Caserio. Granted it's circumstantial. Also circumstantial that we haven't drafted any good offensive skill player since he came back from 2012 to now, whereas while he was gone wrecking St Louis and Denver from 2009-2012 we got Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez. Nothing since he came back, for 8 years. Definitive proof as well, earlier via Michael Holley's book that the disastrous Maroney and Chad Jackson picks were McDaniels' opinions over-ruling some pissed off Patriot scouts. And again circumstantial that before 2004 we got Branch, Givens, Graham before McD showed up, then another drought from 05-08.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back