PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a New Offensive Coordinator

Did the OC draft the wide receivers and tight ends, and decide which should be signed and traded for? If so, he should be replaced. Did he choose our QB's?

More.

Peter King:
"They come back from a crushing Super Bowl loss, and Belichick and owner Robert Kraft are able to talk McDaniels out of taking the Indianapolis head-coaching job. In so doing, Belichick, according to multiple reports, agrees to take McDaniels behind the curtain and give him the inside story of what it takes to build and care and feed a great team. We have to assume that’s happening now. If so, McDaniels is likely playing a role in draft prep, particularly at the quarterback position. The only way—in my opinion—that the Patriots will go outside the box and trade a cadre of picks to move up for a quarterback is if McDaniels and Caserio and Belichick feel one of the top five (including Louisville’s Lamar Jackson) has championship potential. Then and only then would the Patriots mortgage the future to get Brady’s successor. I still think it’s a long shot. Not impossible, but a long shot."

Cam has 5 TDs passes to his name after game 15 of the 2020 season.

Watch him throw the ball. Even on the botched trick play to Bird, Cam is throwing off his toes like a jump shot. No joke. Cam has the worst passing stance in the NFL and the NBA. The game plan to beat the 2020 Patriots is simple.

1. Have the defense stop or limit NEs run game which is the strongest and most successful segment of the Patriots offense.
2. Have your offense pass the ball and jump out to a double score lead.
3. Force Cam to throw the ball. We want Cam to pass because he is pathetic and will never keep up.

Any adept NFL passing offense can do this. Thats how I positively predicted that Houston, Los Angels and Buffalo would shellac the Patriots.

This $hitbum Cam has 5 passing TDs and he is dancing in the EZ about another rushing TD.

The OC has the worst QB/WR/TE talent in the entire league to work with. He’s the least of our worries.
True...problems you mentioned are much much more bigger now

Cam has 5 TDs passes to his name after game 15 of the 2020 season.

Watch him throw the ball. Even on the botched trick play to Bird, Cam is throwing off his toes like a jump shot. No joke. Cam has the worst passing stance in the NFL and the NBA. The game plan to beat the 2020 Patriots is simple.

1. Have the defense stop or limit NEs run game which is the strongest and most successful segment of the Patriots offense.
2. Have your offense pass the ball and jump out to a double score lead.
3. Force Cam to throw the ball. We want Cam to pass because he is pathetic and will never keep up.

Any adept NFL passing offense can do this. Thats how I positively predicted that Houston, Los Angels and Buffalo would shellac the Patriots.

This $hitbum Cam has 5 passing TDs and he is dancing in the EZ about another rushing TD.

Thing is Stidham looked terrible as well 4/11 passing. If the entire offense looks bad that's on the OC. It's not just play calling but total lack of coaching talent development ??

the BOTTOM LINE for me is that it is extremely difficult to call plays for a team without NFL WR's or NFL TE's or dare I say, wothout NFL quarterbacks.

To be blunt if Cam isn't a top quarterback, why should expect Josh to be successful with him and no receivers?

the BOTTOM LINE for me is that it is extremely difficult to call plays for a team without NFL WR's or NFL TE's or dare I say, wothout NFL quarterbacks.

To be blunt if Cam isn't a top quarterback, why should expect Josh to be successful with him and no receivers?

The offense last year with Tom Brady was only scoring 20 points per game the last 9 games of 2019. So how many excuses are we going to make? Lack of developing offensive skill players is on the offensive coordinator.

Like everything else in a season review, I would expect that this concept of a new OC would have to be discussed at BB/Kraft level. However are we being too harsh with McDaniels in that he is entitled to be given a chance to show he can do this without Brady. (Not including his sojourns away from the team of course !).

The offense last year with Tom Brady was only scoring 20 points per game the last 9 games of 2019. So how many excuses are we going to make? Lack of developing offensive skill players is on the offensive coordinator.
OK, it just doesn't matter that there is no talent at WR and TE. Josh (not Brady, not the WR coach, not the TE coach) should have developed crap into playoff SB players. Playoffs aren't enough, after all. The team was 12-4 last year, and could easily have been 13-3.

OK, NO FAULT lies with the lack of talent at WR and TE. BTW, with that attitude NO ONE should want to position of magician, I mean OC with no receivers.
=============
We might list the NFL with a worse set of receivers (WR and TE's) and see where they finished. And if you say that we "average" and in contention because of our defense, I might agree. Others will tell you how horrible the defense has performed.

OK, it just doesn't matter that there is no talent at WR and TE. Josh (not Brady, not the WR coach, not the TE coach) should have developed crap into playoff SB players. Playoffs aren't enough, after all. The team was 12-4 last year, and could easily have been 13-3.

OK, NO FAULT lies with the lack of talent at WR and TE. BTW, with that attitude NO ONE should want to position of magician, I mean OC with no receivers.
=============
We might list the NFL with a worse set of receivers (WR and TE's) and see where they finished. And if you say that we "average" and in contention because of our defense, I might agree. Others will tell you how horrible the defense has performed.

Yeah, I guess no fault lies on the offensive coordinator then. The zero development of offensive skill players on offense has nothing to do with the offensive coordinator. The busts of a 2nd round pick of Sanu and 1st rounder for Harry have nothing to do with the guy in charge of the offense. What ???

I'm curious what @luuked thinks here. He knows xs and os better than me. I tend to be suspicious of McDaniel's talent, but then again I was at the SB against the Rams and as someone said, what he did in the fourth quarter was amazing. That was one of the most tense defensively-dominated chess matches I've ever seen, and the way he popped the lid off it was brilliant.

So he was a crappy HC, what does that say about his OC skills? He brought us to 3 SB wins.

I'm curious what @luuked thinks here. He knows xs and os better than me. I tend to be suspicious of McDaniel's talent, but then again I was at the SB against the Rams and as someone said, what he did in the fourth quarter was amazing.

In terms of adding Gase I don't have any issue at all with any position where he is executing the big picture of others. In case Josh gets a HC offer and walks I am not sure I'd like him as a OC but then again there are worse choices.

I thought Josh did a good job integrating a package for more mobile QBs on short notice (i.e. Newton was only signed a couple weeks before camp). And those added dimensions showed in our running game which looked pretty good through the year. The passing game was trash and the stuff they attempted to run this year didn't even go beyond the usual McDaniels 101. To me he was limited by what the offense (QB, OL, skill
position players as a whole) were giving him. The consistent trick plays on early drives are a obvious giveaway for how much faith they had in the passing attack in the second half of the season.

But the main point to me is just to keep as much continuity as possible especially as we transition. We have lost so many coaches and assistants over the last 3-4 years that it would be another hard hit to lose a long time OC.

During past seasons Josh has run hot and cold. This year there were few weapons.

In terms of adding Gase I don't have any issue at all with any position where he is executing the big picture of others. In case Josh gets a HC offer and walks I am not sure I'd like him as a OC but then again there are worse choices.

I thought Josh did a good job integrating a package for more mobile QBs on short notice (i.e. Newton was only signed a couple weeks before camp). And those added dimensions showed in our running game which looked pretty good through the year. The passing game was trash and the stuff they attempted to run this year didn't even go beyond the usual McDaniels 101. To me he was limited by what the offense (QB, OL, skill
position players as a whole) were giving him. The consistent trick plays on early drives are a obvious giveaway for how much faith they had in the passing attack in the second half of the season.

But the main point to me is just to keep as much continuity as possible especially as we transition. We have lost so many coaches and assistants over the last 3-4 years that it would be another hard hit to lose a long time OC.

How about last year when Tom Brady was the quarterback and the last 9 weeks the team averaged only 20 points per game, same as this season's points per game ?

That's fair. For me I've seen enough. I know how this will unfold. I don't need another year of ineptitude to know we need a new OC, don't need to waste another year of poor offensive talent evaluation, no development at TE/WR, and brain dead red zone play calls. Can we agree he's on the hot seat ?
No.

Article, Dec 2019:

How did the Patriots offense become one of the NFL’s worst?​

Pats averaging 17.6 points since October​

Offense with Tom Brady was averaging 17.6 points from October last year through end of year.... article is from Dec'19. So stop blaming personnel. We need a new OC.

Last edited:
Article, Dec 2019:

How did the Patriots offense become one of the NFL’s worst?​

Pats averaging 17.6 points since October​

Offense with Tom Brady was averaging 17.6 points from October last year through end of year.... article is from Dec'19
Feel free to tell us how great Brady played in the last half of the 2019 season.

Feel free to tell us how great Brady played in the last half of the 2019 season.

How many limbs are you going to bend backwards to defend McD? Brady is a great player (still). You can't excuse every single inept offensive game away from McDaniels... Even with the GOAT QB last year the offense wasn't clicking. We need a NEW offensive coordinator.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back