PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Night Football....Raiders @ Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiefs will be a handful if the Pats are lucky enough to make it that far in the playoffs...

How is getting to the AFCCG lucky? This team is more than capable of getting there.

Last edited:
For me , any team which can challenge our secondary is a problem. Oakland WR's bad last nite but chiefs DB's played great and Carr missed a lot of them. His pinky will be better in a month and i would rather not see a team which has a great oline and throw all over you with nothing to lose.

He is absolutely wrong, at least according to what the NFL's own algorithm spits out. I did it myself. I entered a NE loss this weekend, and Oak, KC and NE win their remaining 3 games. NE ends up at the 1 seed. I have no idea who this joe Ferreira is but I am just going with whatever the league says.

Visit the NFL Playoff Predictor

Then switch your predictions to make KC lose one of those games and you will realize that suddenly we are only the second seed behind Oakland due to them having the tiebreaker on us. That's his point when he says nobody is in control of their own fate.

time to take care of business against these annoying ****birds!

Then switch your predictions to make KC lose one of those games and you will realize that suddenly we are only the second seed behind Oakland due to them having the tiebreaker on us. That's his point when he says nobody is in control of their own fate.

Yes, I see that now. Thanks. Basically we need KC to win the AFCW.

A Miami loss and Pats win this weekend clinches a bye. Though a Pats win vs Baltimore sort of clinches the bye regardless if you assume the Jets-Pats game is a win for the Pats which is hard to imagine it will not be.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Chiefs defense handles the loss of Johnson going forward. They still have a game against Denver at home which should be competitive.

The two places that I wouldn't want to play come playoff time are at Denver and at Kansas City. In a perfect scenario we could play the AFC South winner our first game and then have the Raiders come to Foxboro on a cold and snowy day for the AFC Championship.

A Miami loss and Pats win this weekend clinches a bye. Though a Pats win vs Baltimore sort of clinches the bye regardless if you assume the Jets-Pats game is a win for the Pats which is hard to imagine it will not be.

The Jets always get up for the Pats no matter how bad the Jets are and how bad the Pats are. I hope they get the team that showed up (or didn't show up) on MNF vs. the Colts but chances are that they won't.

I don't think they are a fraud.
They lost a game they had a chance to tie in a hostile environment vs a very strong rival.
Both are excellent teams.
Are the Patriots frauds after losing to the Seahawks?

I literally said a post or two later that it had nothing to do with last night's game.

It doesn't. In several scenarios where NE and PIT win their divisions at 11-5 and the AFCW winner is also 11-5 things end up with PIT at #1, the AFCW winner at #2, and NE at #3. The problem is that a 3-way tie negates NE's head-to-head win over PIT.

It is true that a NE win and MIA loss will clinch the AFCE for NE, though.

From CBSSports.com (probably via the NFL):

New England can clinch the AFC East division title with:

1) NE win + MIA loss or tie OR
2) NE tie + MIA loss

New England can clinch a first-round bye with:

1) NE win + MIA loss or tie + PIT loss or tie

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Chiefs shut down the Raiders with and without Derek Johnson. The Raiders had 1 drive right after he got hurt. So you thought KC had a good offensive performance at home against a bad defense? KC Offensively put up 14 points. And you thought Derek Carr performed well? I am pretty sure that was one of the worst QB performances I have seen this year. The first time the chiefs won a game with a -3 turnover differential in like 60 years.

You should probably have read what I've written.

And they failed miserably at "Killing the clock". Here are their second half drives:

2 plays, 5 yards INT
1 play, -6 yards fumble
4 plays, 25 yards punt
9 plays, 49 yards Punt
3 plays, 4 yards punt
5 plays, 8 yards End of game

The Raiders had the ball a full three and a half minutes more than the Chiefs. The Chiefs' offense was bailed out by Chiefs' defense because neither offense could stay on the field. The Chiefs had two nice TD drives in the first half (along with another decent drive that Andy Reid blew because he went for it on 4th down rather than kicking the field goal) and did nothing else all night except keep on giving the ball back to Derek Carr.

Andy Reid sucks at "Kill the clock". That's not news. But people writing off Carr because of his performance, or writing off the Chiefs when they were obviously sitting on the lead, are being idiots.

The Jets always get up for the Pats no matter how bad the Jets are and how bad the Pats are. I hope they get the team that showed up (or didn't show up) on MNF vs. the Colts but chances are that they won't.

Doubt Petty will look any better than Goff so as long as he is the QB I am not particularly worried about that game.

Andy Reid sucks at "Kill the clock". That's not news. But people writing off Carr because of his performance, or writing off the Chiefs when they were obviously sitting on the lead, are being idiots.

Carr looked like a guy with a badly dislocated pinky, playing in 20 degree weather, against a good defense. It happens.

Well, I will actually write off the Chiefs a bit if Reid was trying just to kill the clock the entire second half. The Raiders have come back from huge deficits multiple times this season. It was a stupid strategy to try to just protect the lead in the second half and not try to score.

I think the Chiefs' defense is legit. I still don't think their offense is all that good. They scored 14 points on offense and couldn't stay on the field in the second half against a bad Oakland defense. I also don't think Reid is a good coach and he turns into Marvin Lewis in a lot of big situations.

I think Oakland's offense is legit. But if their offense is shut down by a good defense, they can't win games. And I think Jack Del Rio is on the same level as Andy Reid.

Sure either team COULD beat the Pats especially if the Pats have to go on the road. But I am not afraid of either one of them. The Pats are better than both. I will take Brady and Belichick over Smith and Reid or Carr and Del Rio in a big game.

Well, I will actually write off the Chiefs a bit if Reid was trying just to kill the clock the entire second half. The Raiders have come back from huge deficits multiple times this season. It was a stupid strategy to try to just protect the lead in the second half and not try to score.

I think the Chiefs' defense is legit. I still don't think their offense is all that good. They scored 14 points on offense and couldn't stay on the field in the second half against a bad Oakland defense. I also don't think Reid is a good coach and he turns into Marvin Lewis in a lot of big situations.

I think Oakland's offense is legit. But if their offense is shut down by a good defense, they can't win games. And I think Jack Del Rio is on the same level as Andy Reid.

Sure either team COULD beat the Pats especially if the Pats have to go on the road. But I am not afraid of either one of them. The Pats are better than both. I will take Brady and Belichick over Smith and Reid or Carr and Del Rio in a big game.
Pats dont need to be afraid of any of them. Having said that, our own team has problems which each of these teams can expose. KC on defense and oakland on offense, last night not withstanding.

Tyreek Hill and Maclin on the outside (should Maclin ever get healthy) with Kelce at TE present some headaches in the passing game for the Chiefs. I'd rather go up against the Raiders if I had my pick. Their defense is incredibly suspect. Brady would have a field day.

It doesn't. In several scenarios where NE and PIT win their divisions at 11-5 and the AFCW winner is also 11-5 things end up with PIT at #1, the AFCW winner at #2, and NE at #3. The problem is that a 3-way tie negates NE's head-to-head win over PIT.

I did not even run that scenario as I don't see with a win against Baltimore added that they lose 3 in a row and go 11-5 as a real possibility but mathematically you are correct.
Interestingly, using the playoff predictor, if Miami runs the table and Pats end 11-5 the Patriots could mathematically miss the playoffs at 11-5.

I think this all sets up that the Baltimore game is HUGE. Especially since I consider a home game against the Jets with Petty at QB and them playing out the string a win despite history.

They lose to Baltimore they then head to Denver which is always a tough chore you could have a repeat of last year where they lose a lot in the stretch but could be 10-4 quickly. Patriot teams usually excel in December, if they end 11-5 I think its likely thy are not good enough to win it all. Monday Night will be fun, hope there is a good amount of snow and cold! I'm not buying the Baltimore offense is any good, the defense is very good but not great. Expecting a tough win.

I don't care about any historic similarities because all of this is meaningless, narrative crap. The Chiefs turned over the ball essentially 4 times and won. How is this "the ball is bouncing their way" ? They outplayed the Raiders in those 4-5 key plays and that's why they won.

Every game comes down to finding advantageous matchups and then executing on them. All those historic facts and stats are ultimately meaningless noise..
Agreed. In addition to finding similarities to the 2001 patriots you can find as much similarity to dozens of teams that didn't win the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes