PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thuney gets tagged

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are not going after Tom after all. letting him walk
I think this has been apparent for quite awhile. I hope that I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen one thing since the beginning of August that would suggest that Brady’s staying. Nothing. OTOH, I think there has been plenty to suggest the opposite.

The good is that we CONTROL the best available guard on the market and the bad is that we just ate up 15m in cap space.....now I think we have about 4m left in cap space.

Should’ve done this with Flowers last year.

BB learned from his mistake.

YESSS!!!!!! Finally, they're keeping what they need on the OL. I just hope it's not a sign-and-trade situation.
Too bad he doesn’t have a QB to protect.

Should’ve done this with Flowers last year.

BB learned from his mistake.
Wonder in the end if this could be a "keep Thuney off the market till all the money's gone" spite move?
Too bad he doesn’t have a QB to protect.
I know, we let the Colts get Hoyer...

I still didn't see the NEP extending him as Shaq already represents big money at the G position. Pats never pay big for the same position twice.

Brady walks and the Pats are paying both guards top 5 money.

I expect a trade unless they are going to surround Stidham with a much talent as humanly possible.

Mason has a $5M salary and an $8.7M cap hit. That is hardly "big money". It's 9th most in the league.

Left guards are slightly behind RGs currently in terms of Cap hits.

I still didn't see the NEP extending him as Shaq already represents big money at the G position. Pats never pay big for the same position twice.

Brady walks and the Pats are paying both guards top 5 money.

I expect a trade unless they are going to surround Stidham with a much talent as humanly possible.

they don't play the same position

This move is fascinating. The speculation monsters will have a field day trying to figure out all the possible ramifications that this move could represent. Here are just a few.

1. Sign and trade - the Pats would get an end of the round 3rd comp in 2021 just by letting Thuney walk as most of us expected. By doing it this way, even if they traded him for a 3rd rounder, it would be better than the comp 3rd PLUS a year earlier. Anything higher than a 3rd would be gravy.

2. Tom is gone - Ulimately they keep Thuney, Andrews comes back healthy, and the Pats have one of the better OL's in the league to surround Stidham or whatever Plan B QB is out there.

3. Marcus Cannon is gone - They offset some of the Thuney price tag with the 8 or 9MM they'd save by letting Cannon go and rely on one of the OL additions they made last season or Cajuste could come back and fit in. (Any word of the state of his leg issues?)

BOTTOM LINE: this move, one way or another, will have big ramifications on what the Pats eventually do. My best guess (at the moment) is #1

This move is fascinating. The speculation monsters will have a field day trying to figure out all the possible ramifications that this move could represent. Here are just a few.

1. Sign and trade - the Pats would get an end of the round 3rd comp in 2021 just by letting Thuney walk as most of us expected. By doing it this way, even if they traded him for a 3rd rounder, it would be better than the comp 3rd PLUS a year earlier. Anything higher than a 3rd would be gravy.

2. Tom is gone - Ulimately they keep Thuney, Andrews comes back healthy, and the Pats have one of the better OL's in the league to surround Stidham or whatever Plan B QB is out there.

3. Marcus Cannon is gone - They offset some of the Thuney price tag with the 8 or 9MM they'd save by letting Cannon go and rely on one of the OL additions they made last season or Cajuste could come back and fit in. (Any word of the state of his leg issues?)

BOTTOM LINE: this move, one way or another, will have big ramifications on what the Pats eventually do. My best guess (at the moment) is #1

The Pats would have to make Cannon a post June 1st cut. Doing so would save them 7M on the cap.

That would leave a big hole to fill.

What does the new CBA say about tag and trade? Anything new? Thought this is borderline outlawed.
I guess it theoretically could be, it sorta violates the spirit of the rule but, I believe Schefter (or someone else) confirmed with the NFL that you could tag and trade.

You can only tag a player with the intention of paying them that money, which you could argue you aren't doing if you do with intention for trade.

My guess is number 2.

BB will move on from BB and wants to have a great D and a great OL so he can win "old school".

I would not be surprised if he extended/cut some players to get a TE and maybe a bruising back. Sanu and Edelman are great block WRs. I think Edelman, healthy Sanu and Harry are enough to keep other teams honest. Maybe sign a 3/4 WR, I dunno. But I definitely feel like TB is gone and they want to run the ball a lot.

The Pats would have to make Cannon a post June 1st cut. Doing so would save them 7M on the cap.

That would leave a big hole to fill.
Really 7 mill? Dang that'd be pretty significant. I don't think Cannon has many years left, if they feel good about our young guys, I could see it.

They could just try to sign him and push the cap hit out

This makes no sense. If they keep Thuney and Wednesday comes with no deal then Brady is gone.

Mason has a $5M salary and an $8.7M cap hit. That is hardly "big money". It's 9th most in the league.

Left guards are slightly behind RGs currently in terms of Cap hits.
I think it is big money as his hits increase after this year.

Lots of possibility's with the signing

thuney for diggs
Thuney for hunter henry
Etc

Thuney and a 1st for Hopkins and a late rounder...

I think it is big money as his hits increase after this year.

His CAP might be somewhat significant, but he's still 9th in the league overall for Right Guards. And that stands to go DOWN as others are signed to higher money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes