PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This team isnt that bad

Not really saying this is meaningful at all but absolute statements about how the yard total last night meant everything is a disaster and a never-before experience for a Belichick team:

When the Patriots lost to the Rams by one score back in 2001, we gave up the exact same yards during regulation that we gave up last night. 487 yards.

The Rams scored 24 that night.

This is how Belichick likes to play games.
Can't compare the two.

I don't think McCarthy or any other coach would look at the Patriots right now and say "that's a Super Bowl contender over there" like Martz did that night.

At least it was nice to hear guys like Diggs and Bucs players like Devin White talking up Mac Jones.

I have defended BB forever, but it seems the time has come for him to either share his responsibilities or move to the front office. We are forever indebted to him for what he has done, but it seems that the game has passed him by. Coupled with the nepotism for his kids while not finding other coaches who could do the job. The talent evaluation is also suspect. Then add a layer of questionable play calling only makes me believe that the time is sooner, not later.
Great post

I have defended BB forever, but it seems the time has come for him to either share his responsibilities or move to the front office. We are forever indebted to him for what he has done, but it seems that the game has passed him by. Coupled with the nepotism for his kids while not finding other coaches who could do the job. The talent evaluation is also suspect. Then add a layer of questionable play calling only makes me believe that the time is sooner, not later.

His in-game decision-making at times has always been questionable...going for it on 4th and 13 in SB 42, not allowing Ghost to kick a 50 yarder, etc. However, it seems like he has too much on his plate. I think he needs to pick being either GM or HC. It's too much work for a 70-year old who's going to retire sooner rather than later. Personally, I think he needs to focus on being HC.

His in-game decision-making at times has always been questionable...going for it on 4th and 13 in SB 42, not allowing Ghost to kick a 50 yarder, etc. However, it seems like he has too much on his plate. I think he needs to pick being either GM or HC. It's too much work for a 70-year old who's going to retire sooner rather than later. Personally, I think he needs to focus on being HC.
Bill the HC and Bill the GM are one and the same. We have both or neither. If the team asks him to step aside with his GM duties, he'll probably take that as a hint the team wants to move on without him and probably correctly so.

Hard to believe the same coach that went for it on 4th and 13 in a Super Bowl, went for 4th downs instead of FGs in an AFCCG, 4th and 2 in Indy, didn't call timeout with the Seahawks at the goal line in a Super Bowl, introduced the 2-TE spread offense to the NFL - all of a sudden is now too timid to let his rookie QB run a 2 minute drill at the end of a half.

Hard to believe the same coach that went for it on 4th and 13 in a Super Bowl, went for 4th downs instead of FGs in an AFCCG, 4th and 2 in Indy, didn't call timeout with the Seahawks at the goal line in a Super Bowl, introduced the 2-TE spread offense to the NFL - all of a sudden is now too timid to let his rookie QB run a 2 minute drill at the end of a half.

The only thing that I can think of with the decision to quit at the end of the 1st half was the Gregory hit on Mac Jones that happened with 10 mins left in the 2nd quarter which seemed to rattle him but then again he didn't have confidence in Mac vs Tampa to go for it on 4th down or in OT against Dallas.

The only thing that I can think of with the decision to quit at the end of the 1st half was the Gregory hit on Mac Jones that happened with 10 mins left in the 2nd quarter which seemed to rattle him...
That's what I said in the other topic - if he was hurt then why was he in the game at that point at all? And if he was only rattled - he sure didn't look rattled to me on that long TD after the pick 6.

Also doesn't explain why he didn't let Mac go for the probable win against the Bucs instead of taking a low percentage FG try.

That's what I said in the other topic - if he was hurt then why was he in the game at that point at all? And if he was only rattled - he sure didn't look rattled to me on that long TD after the pick 6.

Also doesn't explain why he didn't let Mac go for the probable win against the Bucs instead of taking a low percentage FG try.

There is no one really in the Pats organization to question Bill anymore. Kraft sure as hell isn't going to do it. Bill has surrounded himself with "yes men." I wish Brian or Steve Belichick would step up and challenge Bill every once in a while because he's not going to listen to anyone else.

Last edited:
There is no one really in the Pats organization to question Bill anymore. Kraft sure as hell is going to do it. Bill has surrounded himself with "yes men." I wish Brian or Steve Belichick would step up and challenge Bill every once in a while because he's not going to listen to anyone else.
As Troy would say, Bingo!

No doubt Belichick has lost it as he's gotten older. Naturally right? He's 70, its time soon to hang it up. He's not the coach/gm he once was 10-20 years ago.

There is no one really in the Pats organization to question Bill anymore. Kraft sure as hell is going to do it. Bill has surrounded himself with "yes men." I wish Brian or Steve Belichick would step up and challenge Bill every once in a while because he's not going to listen to anyone else.

The worst part about that is Belichick chose assistants who are colossal failures for other programs (McDaniels, Patricia) or grotesque displays of nepotism (His son who never played football). Mcdaniels at least played the game and has a bit of a coaching resume. Patricia has no coaching experience outside of belichick except helping out with a Division 3 college program and excelling in engineering.

Like I said - if "that bad" means a dumpster fire team then yes we are not a team in that category.

Yay?

Yeah, this is NOT A BAD team...but damn it...we need some Dubs in the worst way.

One silver lining....3 losses to the NFC. We are still 2-1 in the conference.

The bad....we lost to the freaking Dolphins....

A look at the rest of the schedule:

Pretty sure we win against: NYJ, Jacksonville, and @Miami. That's 3 wins.

I'll give you the Jets. They suck. But we've never played well at Miami, that's not a game I'm willing to give considering we have already lost to them and we will be playing @Miami where we usually perform the worst for whatever reason. Jacksonville if we played them next week, sure I'd give that as a win but the fact is Jacksonville has the #1 overall pick in the draft. By the end of the season Trevor Lawrence may well have found his stride and he'll give us a hard game on talent level alone. He's a special kind of QB.

Let's talk about the immediate future instead. Jets - win. @LA Chargers - lose. Another Dallas Cowboys type talent mismatch and we're playing at LA, we're likely going to be overmatched and lose again, perhaps a valiant effort by Mac Jones wasted by bad and timid playcalling by the coaches. @Carolina - lose. They have significantly better offensive talent than the Pats. Although they are only a middling team at the moment they get some ez games to build up confidence vs giants and falcons before facing us. Not gonna be easy to win on the road here. Cleveland - A winnable game for us but if our coaching staff still playing timid we could easily lose this one. Browns have a better starting trio with Mayfield, Beckham Jr, and Chubb. But we could pull it out if we play outstanding football. This is probably a measuring stick game for us, I'm not confident we'll be up to that task.

So next 4 games looks like a possible 1-3, a 2-2 at best. That would make us either a 3-7 team or 4-6. I have no confidence of a playoffs berth. BB has a lot of 'splaining to do!

I'd put OL ahead of all of that. If OL play improves and Mac develops and takes a jump next season, I think our skill position players will look more than adequate. Finding a true WR1 would still be more of a luxury and secondary to getting better OL play imo.

OL play will get Mac Jones killed at this rate. Sooner or later, one of those blind side hits could turn into a major injury and his rookie season cut short because BB didn't prepare a good enough offensive line. Who shops for those groceries? Who picked the OL coach? Same dude. Let's have some accountability here.

No doubt Belichick has lost it as he's gotten older. Naturally right? He's 70, its time soon to hang it up. He's not the coach/gm he once was 10-20 years ago.
The worst part about that is Belichick chose assistants who are colossal failures for other programs (McDaniels, Patricia) or grotesque displays of nepotism (His son who never played football). Mcdaniels at least played the game and has a bit of a coaching resume. Patricia has no coaching experience outside of belichick except helping out with a Division 3 college program and excelling in engineering.

Plenty of shortsighted conjecture going on here. Anyone who has followed BB closely through the years knows much of his success is due to soliciting input from others and willingness to be challenged. Kraft has challenged him publicly multiple times, we can assume the same behind closed doors. As for the likes of McDaniels and Patricia being "colossal failures": plenty of highly capable coaches do well as assistants and stumble as head coaches. McDaniels' strong OC track record is why pundits list him as a perennial top head coach candidate. Patricia's bad showing in Detroit doesn't make him a failure in other capacities, the Pats were top 10 in points allowed each of his six years as DC. As for BB hiring his sons being "grotesque," I'm unsure how you define that.

Suggesting BB has "lost it" is nonsense. And he's 69, not 70.

I'd put OL ahead of all of that. If OL play improves and Mac develops and takes a jump next season, I think our skill position players will look more than adequate. Finding a true WR1 would still be more of a luxury and secondary to getting better OL play imo.
Looks like we're sadly near the end of Hightower's career. Really bummed injuries prevented us from seeing what we have in McMillan and Mcgrone this season, but have hope they will contribute and show some promise next year.
Need to find McCourty's replacement as well.
Looking at the roster, I am actually optimistic, but like you said just need some key guys to continue to develop. Need to bolster the OL, add one very good and one decent piece at FS/CB (maybe Wade can help provide part of the answer, not counting on it. Intriguing FA here next year though. If we need a cheap option, maybe a reunion with Duron Harmon? Not sure what he's been up to), and a good MLB (hope Mcgrone can develop into that guy).
LT and G for the OL but I don't think we need a total revamp (ie. very high draft choices). We still have a lot of talent even with the uneven early performance. Onwenu, Andrews, Mason and Wynn is a start, and we have young guys who may improve in Herron and Cajuste. I forget the others. I don't expect Trent Brown to be back, but if we somehow grab a LT we can actually move Wynn inside and that right there solves a lot of problems. I'm not too worried.

OL play will get Mac Jones killed at this rate. Sooner or later, one of those blind side hits could turn into a major injury and his rookie season cut short because BB didn't prepare a good enough offensive line. Who shops for those groceries? Who picked the OL coach? Same dude. Let's have some accountability here.
It's the same OL from last year that played great.

It's the same OL from last year that played great.
You might need to get your eyes checked then. Because they don't look great in 2021, the season that matters, because hearkening to the past brings zero additional wins this year. If the players aren't to blame, then you are implying it's the coaching? What's it gonna be?

The OP has unfortunately been removed from the thread due to a comment that has since been deleted. For those who are aware of it, please remember that those types of comments are inappropriate and will result in an immediate (or as quickly as I see it) removal from the thread.

They stood and went 10 rounds with 2 NFC super bowl contenders vs Tampa and Dallas.

I did not forsee either game to be that close. The Pat's were never out of it and I never had the impression that they were outmatched vs 2 teams that are loaded on offense.

The Miami loss was a self inflicted wound.

Obviously you're what the record indicates, but 4 - 2 was a play or 2 from becoming reality.
Several teams can say they are a play or two away from being 4-2.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back