PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This team isnt that bad

You might need to get your eyes checked then. Because they don't look great in 2021, the season that matters, because hearkening to the past brings zero additional wins this year. If the players aren't to blame, then you are implying it's the coaching? What's it gonna be?
Pass protection is not just the oline, its also on the QB. Young QB's tend to take way more sacks. These guys except for one or two and the same ones that have been here for awhile. Sacks are not just a product of the oline.

Several teams can say they are a play or two away from being 4-2.
Every team can say they are a play or two from anything. Difference is, good teams win those games, bad teams do not.

Plenty of shortsighted conjecture going on here. Anyone who has followed BB closely through the years knows much of his success is due to soliciting input from others and willingness to be challenged. Kraft has challenged him publicly multiple times, we can assume the same behind closed doors. As for the likes of McDaniels and Patricia being "colossal failures": plenty of highly capable coaches do well as assistants and stumble as head coaches. McDaniels' strong OC track record is why pundits list him as a perennial top head coach candidate. Patricia's bad showing in Detroit doesn't make him a failure in other capacities, the Pats were top 10 in points allowed each of his six years as DC. As for BB hiring his sons being "grotesque," I'm unsure how you define that.

Suggesting BB has "lost it" is nonsense. And he's 69, not 70.

If people are challenging him, they are not doing a good enough job. Too many coaching mistakes and draft busts.

You might need to get your eyes checked then. Because they don't look great in 2021, the season that matters, because hearkening to the past brings zero additional wins this year. If the players aren't to blame, then you are implying it's the coaching? What's it gonna be?
Football is a complex sport. Probably has a lot to do with a more expansive offense with bigger splits because this QB can actually throw. Also injuries obviously and no right tackle.

But last year Cam Newton -- a guy whose throwing arm scared no one -- not only had a ton of time to throw but the team actually had a decent running game. It was remarkable given the popgun offense that defenses weren't constantly in attack mode and in the backfield.

I think this year we're actually asking our young QB to set protections and to spread the offense more. When Mac Jones starts processing faster, the defenders will start to lay off. But you're right about the RT. I have no answers there. Thuney leaving and Trent Brown being injured have left a permanent hole at that position.

Football is a complex sport. Probably has a lot to do with a more expansive offense with bigger splits because this QB can actually throw. Also injuries obviously and no right tackle.

But last year Cam Newton -- a guy whose throwing arm scared no one -- not only had a ton of time to throw but the team actually had a decent running game. It was remarkable given the popgun offense that defenses weren't constantly in attack mode and in the backfield.

I think this year we're actually asking our young QB to set protections and to spread the offense more. When Mac Jones starts processing faster, the defenders will start to lay off. But you're right about the RT. I have no answers there. Thuney leaving and Trent Brown being injured have left a permanent hole at that position.
My God....someone gets football. I love when I read it. Yes this. The things that vet QB's do for pass protection are as important as the oline. It goes hand in hand. Jones, has played 6 games, he is not yet able to do those things, so the pass protection takes a hit, just like it does for all rookie QB's.

This is just wrong.
No, its right, because you say oh we would have won if this play happened. I can do that and make us 6-0 or 0-6. One play does not win or lose a game. You are not this and that from being this...you are what your record is. There are close games lost every weekend by teams. Lions are 0-5, they were a play away from beating the ravens...does that make them good? The league is very tight and usually its a special player or coaching that puts you over the top to turn losses into wins.

I can take any team with a losing record, and tell you why they have a losing record. Its not luck, its not wrong place wrong time, its not being as good as other teams. Do you know how many close games the pats won in the last 20 years? Thats what good teams do.

I wanna see Bill trust Mac on 4th down. He used to go for it a bunch with Brady. No excuse not to take more chance.

Because at 2 and 4 it doesn't matter that they barely lost to two good teams.

Like it literally doesn't matter.

Just like it didn't matter we almost won 3 Superbowls that we lost.

If they turn it around than awesome but as of right now they are who they are. A team that can't win when it matters.
They "are what they are"; a 2-4 team that may end up with a worse record than last year with awful QB play. That said, I much prefer the hope Mac gives us at QB for another nice run that will likely begin next year. I have been a live and die with every Pats win/loss for many years, but this year is "nice". I take the good and understand that the not so good will improve. I'm content and that's a nice place to be.

I wanna see Bill trust Mac on 4th down. He used to go for it a bunch with Brady. No excuse not to take more chance.
So, you question Bill not being as comfortable with a QB who has played 6 games than he would be with Brady?

If people are challenging him, they are not doing a good enough job. Too many coaching mistakes and draft busts.
Every team makes coaching mistakes, every team has draft busts. On balance, BB's coaching mistakes have been far fewer than most and when success skews your draft position year after year, it's bound to eventually catch up with you. And sometimes, the real reasons for decisions both on and off the field aren't as simple as they might seem to us on the outside. As GOAT, BB has earned a ton of slack.

Every team makes coaching mistakes, every team has draft busts. On balance, BB's coaching mistakes have been far fewer than most and when success skews your draft position year after year, it's bound to eventually catch up with you. And sometimes, the real reasons for decisions both on and off the field aren't as simple as they might seem to us on the outside. As GOAT, BB has earned a ton of slack.

It just seems like a lot of the coaching decisions that BB has made lately could have done better by Pats Fans posters...

It is a very young team. But just need to workout some issues. Keep in mind that.

No, its right, because you say oh we would have won if this play happened. I can do that and make us 6-0 or 0-6. One play does not win or lose a game. You are not this and that from being this...you are what your record is. There are close games lost every weekend by teams. Lions are 0-5, they were a play away from beating the ravens...does that make them good? The league is very tight and usually its a special player or coaching that puts you over the top to turn losses into wins.

I can take any team with a losing record, and tell you why they have a losing record. Its not luck, its not wrong place wrong time, its not being as good as other teams. Do you know how many close games the pats won in the last 20 years? Thats what good teams do.
What are you talking about?

A 2-4 team that lost close games to good teams is not the same as a 2-4 team that gets blown out every week.
Anyone should be capable of understanding that.

It just seems like a lot of the coaching decisions that BB has made lately could have done better by Pats Fans posters...
Pats fans posters have said that for 20 years.

Football games are won and lost in the trenches. Our DL seems to be headed in the right direction but our OL is not. Some of it is injuries, most of it is bad play. Andrews is the only player meeting expectations currently and it’s obvious Thuney covered up massive issues with the player next to him.

Reactions: Ian
I'll give you the Jets. They suck. But we've never played well at Miami, that's not a game I'm willing to give considering we have already lost to them and we will be playing @Miami where we usually perform the worst for whatever reason. Jacksonville if we played them next week, sure I'd give that as a win but the fact is Jacksonville has the #1 overall pick in the draft. By the end of the season Trevor Lawrence may well have found his stride and he'll give us a hard game on talent level alone. He's a special kind of QB.

Let's talk about the immediate future instead. Jets - win. @LA Chargers - lose. Another Dallas Cowboys type talent mismatch and we're playing at LA, we're likely going to be overmatched and lose again, perhaps a valiant effort by Mac Jones wasted by bad and timid playcalling by the coaches. @Carolina - lose. They have significantly better offensive talent than the Pats. Although they are only a middling team at the moment they get some ez games to build up confidence vs giants and falcons before facing us. Not gonna be easy to win on the road here. Cleveland - A winnable game for us but if our coaching staff still playing timid we could easily lose this one. Browns have a better starting trio with Mayfield, Beckham Jr, and Chubb. But we could pull it out if we play outstanding football. This is probably a measuring stick game for us, I'm not confident we'll be up to that task.

So next 4 games looks like a possible 1-3, a 2-2 at best. That would make us either a 3-7 team or 4-6. I have no confidence of a playoffs berth. BB has a lot of 'splaining to do!

OK...Jets...agree... @Chargers...I MAY be at that game...the Chargers won't have home field for [email protected]'s still Darnold...remember the "I'm seeing Ghosts" comment? Robby Anderson is leading the league in drops...no CMC. Great D though...and maybe Gilmore too....Cleveland...they are banged up right now, but tough D..just a bit weak in the [email protected] like our chances if we lock down Ridley and Pitts...Titans...they don't have a secondary...just match scoring with Derek Henry and we have a shot...@Bills on MNF...we ALMOST WON in Buffalo last year with Cam!!!

I expect playoffs, baby!!! Let's gooooooo!!!!!!!

The problem with that is we don't know what we don't know, which would fill the Grand Canyon and beyond.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
So, you question Bill not being as comfortable with a QB who has played 6 games than he would be with Brady?
Sure, on 4th 3. The odds of completing that conversion is quite high, have you seen Mac completing rate? 70%+, that's begging Bill to let him go for it.

Sure, on 4th 3. The odds of completing that conversion is quite high, have you seen Mac completing rate? 70%+, that's begging Bill to let him go for it.
Again, I hear you, but Jones was 1-for-3 in overtime and they didn't look great. Plus the ball was on their side near midfield...it could have gone either way and people would probably still be killing him either way.

I didn't love the call, but I get why he did it. As I posted earlier, punt it deep and hope for one more stop with a chance to get the ball back with good field position and hopefully send in Folk to win it if they had stopped them. If they came up short, Dallas didn't have far to go to get in field goal range.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back