PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This team isnt that bad

So, I guess the question is....McDaniels has been here forever. Through superbowls etc....now all of the sudden, he is an issue?

I don't agree with all of Josh's decisions, but I do thnk we are luck to have him. As for Mac expressing frustration when thing go awry. I think that's 100% a good thing. In fact, it's an important part of his job.

Not really.
But I will assume you are referring to the QB position so:

Brady 2001 through week 7
104/169 61.6% 1069 yards 6.3ypa 7 Td 4 Int

Jones 2021 through week 7
174/247 70.4% 1779 yards 7.2ypa 9 TD 6 Int

How do those #s compare to other QBs during those seasons?

How do those #s compare to other QBs during those seasons?

Profootball-reference has a good quick reference on that, but it’s only over a full season. 100 is league average for that season, so anything above that is above average. I prefer ANY/A, but they have all the categories.

Rating - Brady 111, Jones 99
ANY/A - Brady 102, Jones 96
Comp % - Jones 121, Brady 117 (that one’s interesting because it shows how different the eras are. 64% in 2001 is similar to 70% in 2021.)

This doesn’t account for the supporting cast, but I think it’s the best you’ll get for era-adjusted comparisons.

1635348713311.png

1635348675292.png

Last edited:
I don’t understand what you are asking?

How do Brady's #s in 2001 compare to the #s of the other QBs in 2001? And how do Mac's #s now compare to the rest of the QBs now?

Comparing Brady's #s from 2001 to Mac's #s from 2021 doesn't tell the whole story.

Ice's post above gives us a better idea of the comparative performances of Brady & Mac relative to the rest of the league during each of their first full seasons as starters... And so far, Brady's been better.

PFF has a good quick reference on that, but it’s only over a full season. 100 is league average for that season, so anything above that is above average. I prefer ANY/A, but they have all the categories.

Comp % - Jones 121, Brady 117 (that one’s interesting because it shows how different the eras are. 64% in 2001 is similar to 70% in 2021.)

This doesn’t account for the supporting cast, but I think it’s the best you’ll get for era-adjusted comparisons.

View attachment 36981

View attachment 36979
I like these stats cause it's close to what baseball does with OPS+ - a comparison against your average peer. It's tough though cause baseball is more individual sport than team sport. Football is 100% team sport.

Mac will never be Brady or very likely not worthy to tie Brady's shoes in the sport so comparing the two will just be frustrating. Otherwise for a rookie playing the first third of a season of his career, something close to average like Mac has right now isn't bad. Really he's only had one lousy game (Saints) and even that wasn't a total disaster. That's not too bad and he is getting better as the reins hopefully start to come off.

I was going to say that he's done all right against some decent defenses but I looked it up and other than the Saints and Bucs (and the Bucs were banged up) he actually hasn't faced any defense ranked in the top half of the league. The Chargers run defense stinks but the Panthers defense in a couple weeks is top 10. That will be a good test for him.

Last edited:
PFF has a good quick reference on that, but it’s only over a full season. 100 is league average for that season, so anything above that is above average. I prefer ANY/A, but they have all the categories.

View attachment 36981

View attachment 36979

Appreciate the stats Ice, I think you're right that it's the best we're going to get for a debate like this. If I understand though correctly, those ratings would be comparing Brady's entire 2001 season versus Mac's first seven games correct? It would be interesting to see what Brady's rating was after seven starts as well, so we could factor in potential growth factor as well. You'd expect a guy who would eventually turn into the GOAT would have better ratings in the latter half of his rookie year compared to his former.

Also, the obligatory disclaimer that PFF has pretty arbitrary rating systems... hence Deatrich Wise being rated our best defender going into the Dallas game, so all of this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Appreciate the stats Ice, I think you're right that it's the best we're going to get for a debate like this. If I understand though correctly, those ratings would be comparing Brady's entire 2001 season versus Mac's first seven games correct? It would be interesting to see what Brady's rating was after seven starts as well, so we could factor in potential growth factor as well. You'd expect a guy who would eventually turn into the GOAT would have better ratings in the latter half of his rookie year compared to his former.

Also, the obligatory disclaimer that PFF has pretty arbitrary rating systems... hence Deatrich Wise being rated our best defender going into the Dallas game, so all of this should be taken with a grain of salt.

My mistake and typo. These stats are from PFR (profootball-reference). These are all ”box score stats” based and don’t take any subjective grading into account. Rate+ is just passer rating compared to league average, using a percentile. ANY/A is a formula to account for sacks, TDs, INTs, and Y/A for what I think is the more accurate QB gauge of effectiveness. It also only uses box score stats though.

How do Brady's #s in 2001 compare to the #s of the other QBs in 2001? And how do Mac's #s now compare to the rest of the QBs now?

Comparing Brady's #s from 2001 to Mac's #s from 2021 doesn't tell the whole story.

Ice's post above gives us a better idea of the comparative performances of Brady & Mac relative to the rest of the league during each of their first full seasons as starters... And so far, Brady's been better.
That post shows them about the same, and also doesn’t consider volume numbers. A qb with similar per attempt #s but larger volume numbers is playing a larger role, which makes a difference in the equation.
HOWEVER those numbers we Brady over a full season vs Jones 1st 7 career games. The numbers I posted as the first 7 games of the season were not as good as his full season numbers, understandably.
So statistically Jones is very comparable in his first 7 to Bradys 2001 season but ahead of his start.
The point being saying “something is very different” implying QB play is just not right.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back