PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This team isnt that bad

This team is bad, they are making the mistakes that bad teams make. The game plan is good, but the in game decision making is not.

It usually comes down to the mistakes coming from both sides and the best players winning. Examples:
  • In the Dolphins game, the Harris fumble was a “big mistake” but right before that Tua made a reprehensibly poor decision and threw an interception.
  • In the Bucs game, the Bucs made tons of mental mistakes and unforced errors. They likely win the game with a first down with under two minutes but instead call two end-zone passes, the second which is dropped by AB.
  • In the Texans game, again both teams made numerous mental errors down the stretch, but the losing team’s mistakes always stand out. On the Patriots final drive on 3rd and 18, the Texans got a roughing the passer penalty.
  • In the Cowboys game, on the Cowboys final drive in regulation, the Cowboys OL got a holding penalty which would make it 2nd and 20 and then lost his mind with an unsportsmanlike penalty which made it 3rd and 25 instead.
Point being that we always remember the mistakes from the losing team and not the winning team, even though they’re usually somewhat equally applied.

Another great example is in week 1, I watched the Bucs-Cowboys. The Bucs had the game basically sealed and Godwin fumbled at the one yard line. Ultimately, the Bucs were able to hold the Cowboys to 3 points and then win on a walk off field goal. In the Patriots-Dolphins game, Harris fumbled with 3:18 left and the Patriots trailing by 1 with 3 timeouts. They lost, so therefore their loss is chalked up to “a mistake” but both teams made mistakes, and in another game that situation happened and the team still won.

It usually comes down to the mistakes coming from both sides and the best players winning. Examples:
  • In the Dolphins game, the Harris fumble was a “big mistake” but right before that Tua made a reprehensibly poor decision and threw an interception.
  • In the Bucs game, the Bucs made tons of mental mistakes and unforced errors. They likely win the game with a first down with under two minutes but instead call two end-zone passes, the second which is dropped by AB.
  • In the Texans game, again both teams made numerous mental errors down the stretch, but the losing team’s mistakes always stand out. On the Patriots final drive on 3rd and 18, the Texans got a roughing the passer penalty.
  • In the Cowboys game, on the Cowboys final drive in regulation, the Cowboys OL got a holding penalty which would make it 2nd and 20 and then lost his mind with an unsportsmanlike penalty which made it 3rd and 25 instead.
Point being that we always remember the mistakes from the losing team and not the winning team, even though they’re usually somewhat equally applied.

Another great example is in week 1, I watched the Bucs-Cowboys. The Bucs had the game basically sealed and Godwin fumbled at the one yard line. Ultimately, the Bucs were able to hold the Cowboys to 3 points and then win on a walk off field goal. In the Patriots-Dolphins game, Harris fumbled with 3:18 left and the Patriots trailing by 1 with 3 timeouts. They lost, so therefore their loss is chalked up to “a mistake” but both teams made mistakes, and in another game that situation happened and the team still won.
You just said it. Good teams can overcome mistakes, bad teams cannot.

They stood and went 10 rounds with 2 NFC super bowl contenders vs Tampa and Dallas.

I did not forsee either game to be that close. The Pat's were never out of it and I never had the impression that they were outmatched vs 2 teams that are loaded on offense.

The Miami loss was a self inflicted wound.

Obviously you're what the record indicates, but 4 - 2 was a play or 2 from becoming reality.

Positive in nature, reasonably observant -- your best post in years, perhaps ever! Keep it up!

giphy.gif

It is an irrefutable fact terrible teams lose a lot of games by double digits.

It is an irrefutable fact not very good teams lose a lot of close games.

View attachment 36723

Here's an irrefutable fact.

Good teams don't go 0 and 4 at home.

The combined record of the teams we beat are 2 and 9.

Bad teams find ways to lose.

They stood and went 10 rounds with 2 NFC super bowl contenders vs Tampa and Dallas.
I did not forsee either game to be that close. The Pat's were never out of it and I never had the impression that they were outmatched vs 2 teams that are loaded on offense.

Obviously you're what the record indicates, but 4 - 2 was a play or 2 from becoming reality.
You’re right, of course. Problem I have is that most teams can make the case that they were close on a few games. We used to be the team that got it done, and other teams would have the moral victory of hanging with us for three quarters. Case in point: the Colts.
  • They also are 2-4, with wins against bottom-of-the-league teams. However, they just killed a team (Hou) that we needed a comeback to nip in the 4th. They also beat Mia (without Tua), which beat us.
  • They lost by 3 pts to the Rams after being up by 4 with like 5 minutes to go. Then, they lost a 16-pt lead in the 4th at Balt last Monday (that was awesome).
So, the Colts seem to be a little closer than we are, by any objective measure. Plus, the only rival in that crap division is the pretender Titans. Discouraging…

Here's an irrefutable fact.

Good teams don't go 0 and 4 at home.

The combined record of the teams we beat are 2 and 9.

Bad teams find ways to lose.
Bad teams improve and become good teams. “Finding a way to lose” is easier to correct than getting blown out.
It’s a long season.

Bad teams improve and become good teams. “Finding a way to lose” is easier to correct than getting blown out.
It’s a long season.

I subscribe to the very tried and true method of "you are what your record says you are"

The Patriots are competitive. The Patriots aren't good.

Not yet.

You’re right, of course. Problem I have is that most teams can make the case that they were close on a few games. We used to be the team that got it done, and other teams would have the moral victory of hanging with us for three quarters. Case in point: the Colts.
  • They also are 2-4, with wins against bottom-of-the-league teams. However, they just killed a team (Hou) that we needed a comeback to nip in the 4th. They also beat Mia (without Tua), which beat us.
  • They lost by 3 pts to the Rams after being up by 4 with like 5 minutes to go. Then, they lost a 16-pt lead in the 4th at Balt last Monday (that was awesome).
So, the Colts seem to be a little closer than we are, by any objective measure. Plus, the only rival in that crap division is the pretender Titans. Discouraging…
Not sure if Dallas is a legit NFC SB contender. They are poorly coached and are frequently penalized.

I'd put Cards, Bucs, Pack, and Rams ahead.

Not a fan of moral victory. This team needs to learn to play mistake free ASAP or there will be no playoffs....again.

YIKES .. how dare you!!! facts/statistics/common sense are taboo. SHAME ON YOU!

We were overmatched from a talent perspective, and will be in many contests.

Traded up in the 2nd to Jojuan Williams and he wasn’t dressed in a game we needed secondary help. A 1st for NKeal Harry and he’s now a blocking WR. 1st on I. Wynn and he is always hurt and when he plays he hasn’t been good. Too many misses and the GOAT not here to cover for it.

This team just hasn't figured out how to win/close out games. Houston was a step in that direction but yesterday was a 1/2 step back. Algholar dropping that ball yesterday and the batted ball against TB leading to a tough FG try in bad weather. Miami was the worse. NO's I chalk up to the kid being a rookie. For several years of his career Brady was guaranteed to have at least 1 or 2 3-4 pick stinker. It happens.

But I agree many are crying thinking this team sucks. They don't suck they simply are not making those 1 or 2 crucial plays that win you the game. They are growing and learning. Will they get it in time to sneak into the playoffs? Who knows. But the future looks bright from where I sit.

I subscribe to the very tried and true method of "you are what your record says you are"

The Patriots are competitive. The Patriots aren't good.

Not yet.
You can subscribe to whatever you want but it’s ridiculous to say a team that is 2-4 with close losses to 2 SB contender is the same as a 2-4 team getting blown out.

Personally I don’t take cliches as great evaluation.

You can subscribe to whatever you want but it’s ridiculous to say a team that is 2-4 with close losses to 2 SB contender is the same as a 2-4 team getting blown out.

Personally I don’t take cliches as great evaluation.

They're 2 and 4. Which means they're not good.

It doesn't mean anything other than that.

Not a fan of moral victory. This team needs to learn to play mistake free ASAP or there will be no playoffs....again.
Who is claiming moral victory? What does that even look like?

OMG the humanity, they might miss the playoffs AGAIN, for the second time. How can we go on? The line at the Tobin must be very long.

They're 2 and 4. Which means they're not good.

It doesn't mean anything other than that.
No it means they are 2-4 and they have 11 games left.

No it means they are 2-4 and they have 11 games left.

Man. You're out here moving the goal post. Right now they have failed miserably at the most important thing in the game. Winning.

You didn't ask me what they're magically going to do in games they haven't even played yet.

Edit* sounded too hostile.

I can't quantity what they have done with a hypothetical of what they might do. Right now, they're a losing team and I don't think that's a crazy position to take.

Last edited:
Man. You're out here moving the goal post. Right now they have failed miserably at the most important thing in the game. Winning.

You didn't ask me what they're magically going to do in games they haven't even played yet.

Edit* sounded too hostile.

I can't quantity what they have done with a hypothetical of what they might do. Right now, they're a losing team and I don't think that's a crazy position to take.
How am I moving the goal post?
They are 2-4 with 11 games to play.

2-4 including close losses against good teams makes the prospects for the next 11 better than 2-4 getting blown out.

Ultimately they have 11 games left to play which will determine their season.

I have this quiet confidence in this team. I don’t say it out loud but I will say this, they can’t surprise me either way. The turnovers mortal blows will subside. My only worry is out LBs. we need some in season addition to infuse energy into that group. My man Donta is now tangoing with OL and can’t disengage.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back