PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This team isnt that bad

This team is bad, they are making the mistakes that bad teams make. The game plan is good, but the in game decision making is not.

This is true. We shouldn't have even been in either game - Bucs or Cowboys. They're much better than our team/talent/experience.
But, when we get so close, and see that this team isn't ready to make the big-moment plays in the 4th qtr to pull out wins, it's sad.

No matter what people say though, Mac has shown incredible moxy, mental toughness, grit and clutch ability. He's going to help congeal this team. If the stupid coaches can get out of their own way - and play the best guys - accept there will be mistakes - stop coaching scared - get over the doghouse schticks - we can use this to build confidence.
Love this!!! Coaches need to let go of egos and get the F out of their own way! Rhamondre Stevenson fumbles (but replay showed he didn't) and he's in the doghouse for weeks. Come on, man! Kid's got skills we need to see and experience and he's in the doghouse for 3 weeks because of a bad call? Stop it! If we know we can't win a SB this year why not test the young guys and see what we have so we can better understand holes moving forward. I love me some BB, but he regularly chops off his nose to spite his face (as evidenced by the the baby scratch on his nose yesterday).

The talent disparity last night was ridiculous. It was like watching Alabama play UCF.

Mac is not even close to elevating the guys around him yet and nor should he be. The high priced free agents should be the ones to elevate him and it seems like each week one guy shows up while the others disappear.
Truth

This team is bad, they are making the mistakes that bad teams make. The game plan is good, but the in game decision making is not.
3 straight screen passes last week .. good game plan? I'm a big fan of BB but he's seems to get in his own way at the worst times. McD has been awful .. though not consistently. But when it's time to cook the meat he's leaving it "under"

It's maddening because you see potential.

What makes it worse is we are used to, in Belichick's run, the team play up to their potential and never beat themselves or make dumb mistakes. Our losses are littered with Jets like mistakes.
Every time that Stevie Beleichick makes his faces the Pats lose.

I agree that this team is probably not a tire fire. But with BB here we ought to have a lot higher standards than that.
What would be acceptable to you?

Double digit wins, year in and year out for decades without exception?

Blindly defending BB isn't going to make this team any better. When he makes mistakes, put his feet to the fire. Humans don't learn nearly as much from success as they do from PAIN. Kissing the emperor's ass when he has no clothes ain't gonna lead to this team winning more, EVER.
Are you suggested that whining about the team on a message more is going to make the team better?

What would be acceptable to you?

Double digit wins, year in and year out for decades without exception?
My expectations were 9-8 and no playoffs in 2021. The point was saying hey we aren't a complete tire fire of a team ought to go without saying when BB is coach.

The game was a lot more lopsided then it looked. Dallas turned it over 2X in our endzone. The score could have been much worse. Our D had no answer to stop Dallas from driving up and down the field.

What do we need next year? We need a #1 receiver. We need LBs. We need a #1 CB.

A lot of money is coming off the books with Hightower and Gilmore contracts, so we'll have money to grab a CB if one's available.

LBs need to be drafted but please please please can one of Uche, Winovich or Perkins step up here?

I have faith in Barmore, Judon, Wise and Guy holding down the fort on the DL for the next year. We can draft for depth there.

We have some depth in the d-backfield with Jackson, Jones, Dugger, Phillips etc. but we need to draft depth, we need to sign a #1 CB.

I have absolutely no faith in Algholor. He doesn't have a big signing bonus. This union is going to be short-lived.

Bourne and Meyers are both more than adequate and better than average as #2 WRs.

We are looking good for the future with some salary cap room & big needs only at WR, CB and LB. Not a bad position to be.

The team will only be as good as Uche, Barmore and Dugger allow us to be. I have faith in the offense, but we need need need people to step up and develop on D. If it doesn't happen with those 3, we are screwed.
Backup QB is probably a need.

Minshew would've been a great fit for you guys. Unfortunately he's with Philly.

Safety is an area of need. D-Mac is up there in age.

Preseason expectations were 10-11 wins and a wild card, which were apparently far too high. The defense has not lived up to expectations, O-line depth is not high quality, and the worst issue seems to be a high rate of mental errors leading to stupid drive killing (or extending) penalties.
They're not very good this year, so what happens next? I don't like looking up at the Bills in the division, but at least we know Miami is going no where and NY is worse off than us for the foreseeable future.
Let's say they're 6-7 at the bye. What good is it to end up 9-8? No playoffs and no high draft position.

The game was a lot more lopsided then it looked. Dallas turned it over 2X in our endzone. The score could have been much worse. Our D had no answer to stop Dallas from driving up and down the field.
????

The Patriots had a pick 6 and a TD taken away for a bogus hold followed by a fumble by Mac Jones and big return.
Didn't both teams get hurt by such errors? It was hardly only Dallas that stabbed themselves in the foot.

Backup QB is probably a need.

Minshew would've been a great fit for you guys. Unfortunately he's with Philly.

Safety is an area of need. D-Mac is up there in age.
Dugger and Phillips should be good enough to fulfill safety, with former #2 pick Wiliams behind McCourty currently.

I don't think the Patriots would ever pick up a veteran QB for backup because of their salary, especially when we have Stidham and Hoyer already

I do agree with some that bad teams lose such games. We should have beaten Dallas, Miami and Tampa. We had those games and closed them out in prior years.

What are losing plays? What about Agholor's performance? Those drops will lose games for you. Needed him at key moments and he gave us less than nothing.

That board has no mods either.

It's like a jungle.

Fans calling one another names because someone doesn't worship Reid. Or daring to suggest Hill is a distraction at times.
Some of the mods here act like hardo state troopers

I am team Mac. Love the kid.

Last game we saw some more progression. His throws had higher velocity, he is seeing more of the field, and overall Mac is more comfortable. It seems like the game is slowing down for him.

But he is still learning, and it shows. He does not seem to completely understand as he tries to process the whole field on every play. He fails to step into his throws sending some high and wide (happened multiple times yesterday), and Mac does not move in the pocket well (I am guessing that is because he is trying to process so much downfield input).

We are not going to beat good teams with experienced QBs with a rookie QB. The coaching techniques keep the game tight, but Mac can not close out a game and it will take time. It is not a matter of "taking off the training wheels", Mac is trying to crunch too much information so it slows his decision making, hampers his movement in the pocket, and leads to hurried throws. We will not win against good teams until that changes.

We are 2-4, I remain hopeful, but at this point my guess is that we will have to a wait until next year to see if Mac and the Pats are on track to create a top 10 team.

again, the defense cannot make plays when needed in game ending scenarios. I don't care if they're "gassed". they're professional athletes and if they're "gassed" they're not committed to proper conditioning.
the defense just gave up the most passing yards in franchise history - AT HOME (mind you) - and people here think the defense is good...

again, the defense cannot make plays when needed in game ending scenarios. I don't care if they're "gassed". they're professional athletes and if they're "gassed" they're not committed to proper conditioning.
the defense just gave up the most passing yards in franchise history - AT HOME (mind you) - and people here think the defense is good...
The Defense has played well enough to win games this yera, but when you have to go out there over and over and keep a team below 20 or you lose, thats pretty hard on a defense. Pats got the ball first in OT, in the past, that meant game over pats win, now its, well we made it to the 50? This offense is not exactly helping out the defense this year. The pats had the cowboys in the redzone twice yesterday and kept them from scoring a single point. But at some point you have to put up points on offense.

Maybe the team isn't as bad as it seems and will continue to improve. What is troublesome is special teams. I've seen us go years without having a punt blocked and it has already happened twice this year.

The Defense has played well enough to win games this yera, but when you have to go out there over and over and keep a team below 20 or you lose, thats pretty hard on a defense. Pats got the ball first in OT, in the past, that meant game over pats win, now its, well we made it to the 50? This offense is not exactly helping out the defense this year. The pats had the cowboys in the redzone twice yesterday and kept them from scoring a single point. But at some point you have to put up points on offense.
Our 11 Million Dollar a year Wide Receiver dropped a wide open slant in OT that stalled our drive.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back